mothercare - "we can't sell you a car seat. It's raining"

(96 Posts)
knickerelasticjones Thu 10-Jul-08 20:34:08

Don't know if I should post this in this topic as its not really a question of being unreasonable. But I though I would share with you all today's experience of genuine retain insanity.

Went into Mothercare today to get a stage three car seat for DD1. Had DDs 1 and 2 with me. Approached cash desk and said

Me - "Hello, I"d like to get a car seat for my daughter"
Assistant - "does it fit in your car?"
Me - "I don't know, I as I haven't bought the car seat yet" (I'm already thinking her first question is a bit inane, but hey! we all have our off days...)
Assistant - "Oh well we can't sell you a car seat now. It's raining"
Me - "Sorry?"
Assistant - "We would have to go and fit the car seat in your car and we can't do that now as it's raining"

(At this point I thought maybe there was a concern about the car seat getting wet, and perhaps they would show me round the seats available on the display in store, but more was to come...)

Me - "I'm a little confused"
Assistant - "It's health and safety. We might fall over in the rain."
Me - (really confused by now) "Sorry??"
Assistant - "It's for our own protection. We aren't allowed to sell car seats when its raining, as we might fall over when we walk to the car to check it fits".

This was followed by a grumpy silence from all three assistants who were looking at me as if to say "How DARE you put our very lives at risk by suggesting that we might sell you a car seat. Can't you see the RAIN".

No more help offered from them. Just lots of questions from DD1 as to why she couldn't have her new car seat. With me saying loudly " they can't sell us a car seat during the rain. We are NEVER coming here again." We went to Halfords.

Now I'm all for protecting the worker (a union person me) but seriously? You can't go out in the rain as you might fall over? Seriously?

I live in Scotland - if that's a valid excuse for staying in, I may never leave the house again....

trikitara Tue 09-Nov-10 19:32:52

hello i work at mothercare been there 4yrs now and at anthor baby company before that, in all its been 10 yrs, i really shocked about the rain incident, i have been out in the snow, rain and hale!! Please dont lose faith in a very gd compamy we arnt all like that.

shortyzoe Tue 05-Aug-08 00:54:49

hi i currently work at mothercare and have done for over 2 years, i am surprised by alot of things which have been said on ere especially about it being raining and not being able to fit a carseat in the car because of it!! it seems that some people have unfortunatly been to some mothercares which are not up to a great standard, which is a shame as the place i work at never does any of these things. You may think i am blowing my own trumpet and thats ur opinion but i am always out in the rain and doing it with a smile and making people feel welcome in the store just because i treat people how i want to be treated, unfortunatly there is not anough people around like this. btw i have recieved many complaints about halfords carseat service i think it just depends on the area you live in, not the companies themselves.

katiepotatie Fri 01-Aug-08 15:00:34

took nearly 25 mins to pay for a potty, as they were faffing over a code for a cot for the poor bugger in front of me, they had been there an hour......have not been back since!
Halfords for car seats though, thay are lovely smile

chipmonkey Fri 01-Aug-08 13:48:10

Sorry for girning at you!grin

chipmonkey Fri 01-Aug-08 13:47:52

OMG, SPB! I was really fooled by that! Was thinking poor Lori was a troll![girn]

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 12:03:38

Thank you smile

I meant it's me!
I've just posted on another thread as 'you' sorry, did explain and name change back!
Hi BT

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 11:44:26

hi, me again, one more question, what is SPB- need to make sure im up on all this obviously!!

Fimbo Fri 01-Aug-08 11:14:47

Here moaningminnies, before you start on us get your facts right, the Sunday Post is not a major newspaper. hmm

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 11:14:02

oh yeah! do mant people do that kind of thing?

BouncingTurtle Fri 01-Aug-08 11:09:35

Look carefully at the spelling.

Hey SPB!

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 11:06:13

How did you get my name?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Loricys Fri 01-Aug-08 11:05:17

and you can do this sort of thing, which is pretty nasty

(it's SPB)

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 11:04:53

I see, cheers.

chipmonkey Fri 01-Aug-08 11:02:43

You can change your name, Lori, but not to someone else's name. Some people are regular posters but you can change your name if for example you want to post about a sensitive subject. Trouble is some people change their name and then "troll" which is posting for inflammatory purposes.

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 10:56:28

but how can you pose as someone else, you cant steal someone elses name on here?? or am i being naive?

chipmonkey Fri 01-Aug-08 10:53:44

Don't worry folks, come September moaningminnies will be back at school where she belongs!

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 10:49:50

can someone tell me what trolling means. I recently discovered mumsnet and spend far too much time on it, dh has threatened to block it!!!! My now deprived of attention son, is as we speak watching Robots. Feeling quite guilty now......

sherbetdipdab Fri 01-Aug-08 10:45:18

For God's sake! I was really enjoying this thread, love a good moan!

But then there is always someone who comes along to spoil the fun.

My DS is napping so I can't play with him, sorry. But you have obviously read the whole thread and posted a comment, what are your children doing??

Oh and MC are pretty rubbish and they have Myleene Klass (patron saint of mothers) designing a clothing range now too! angry

moaningminnies if you are who i think you are you have been trolling for weeks
(career troll?)
and you have the cheek to ask us if we have nothing better to do?

Loriycs Fri 01-Aug-08 10:41:46

have we gone health and safety mad in this country (hmm)

upsidedownupsidedown

GordonTheGopher Fri 01-Aug-08 10:31:58

Blimey.

HumphreyPillow Fri 01-Aug-08 10:31:10

"Jesus Christ people get a fricking life".

Is that another of your headlines, moaningminnies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now