to find it weird when someone winks at you..well er what are you supposed to do ffs

(48 Posts)
ZippiBabes Mon 14-Jan-08 17:29:09

..ok I have two people who currently seem to think they have to wink at me one is one of my tutors hmm

so whenever he catches my eye he winks..

so eg i arrive to clas tlater than everyone else he looks at me and winks

in the middle of the lesson i look up and he winks at me...i just think well ermm doesn't this look a bit weird

he has also done it in the refectory

what the f am i supposed to do back

and a guy at the gym is doing it now too for eg he is sat on an exercise bike behind me who is on the travelator thingy.. i get off look up and he winks theatricaaly

what do you lot do to these winkers

Cam Mon 14-Jan-08 18:06:27

laugh

ZippiBabes Mon 14-Jan-08 18:09:39

well he is married with young kids

the tutor

and he has done it when i am sat at a desk in the middle of the room and he is at the front of the room

i guess i probably look befuddled

maybe he is bored..i cetainly am in his classes lol

scottishmummy Mon 14-Jan-08 18:21:58

ask if he has something stuck in his eye?

Bluestocking Mon 14-Jan-08 18:24:46

We were talking about this at lunch at work today - our (mostly female) office is headed up by a (putatively female) individual, and she winks at all of us! It's a sort of pirate-style "ahhaarhh matey!" wink with head twist and all. What on earth are we supposed to do in response?

JennaJ Mon 14-Jan-08 18:46:01

LOL

Sorry guys Im a winker.....

Just can't help it! I guess that makes me really sad..I will try really really hard to control myself in future..blush

I wink as in friendly, happy kind of way always accompanied by a smile...I don't expect any response but a smile back is always nice.

Im a 29yr old married lady with kids btw..I wink at old people and young people..male and female. Not all the time you understand (and def no head nodding involved!)

wink

Its part of who I am...and I kind of like it so wink to you all!!

Jenna

mrsruffallo Mon 14-Jan-08 18:52:44

I like being winked at! It's cheeky and playful

ZippiBabes Mon 14-Jan-08 18:54:46

well it might be ok sometimes..except i don't know what you are supposed to do back, but if the same person keeps doing it it is odd

mrsruffallo Mon 14-Jan-08 18:56:26

Wink back? Or smile ?

DarthVader Mon 14-Jan-08 19:02:19

Try a comedy over exagerated wink back if not interested or a coy sidelong gaze from under the eyelashes if interested.

Sorted.

lou33 Mon 14-Jan-08 19:06:17

look over your shoulder, like you think he is doing it to someone else?

citylover Mon 14-Jan-08 21:17:11

I get winked at a fair bit but didn't really ever think it meant anything in particular. Tho quite like it!

I'm not a babe either. Are you sure you're not zippi?

Beauregard Mon 14-Jan-08 21:18:54

Wish i would get winked.

Quattrocento Mon 14-Jan-08 21:20:36

Sleep with them. You only live once.

ZippiBabes Tue 15-Jan-08 08:05:35

rofl at sleeping with them

widgypog Tue 15-Jan-08 17:32:54

I think some blokes are just winkers ...fnar!!!

Alambil Tue 15-Jan-08 22:31:30

My best friend from school saw me in town the other day on his lunch hour - he winked a "hello" as he (clearly) had no time to stop to chat. I think he was just acknowledging that he saw me and wasn't ignoring me rather than meaning anything else.

I wished it did mean something different (from him) though blush!!

Tommy Tue 15-Jan-08 22:38:51

some of it is a generational thing I reckon.

I'm sure some pop psychologist wuld say that when a man winks at a random woman he is tyring to flirt by assuming the "adult" role and wanting the woman to take the "child" role and, as a result, it is always yeuch grin

a colleague of mine used to do it and we all used to squirm about it.

The dad of another boy in DS1's class does it now to me whenever he sees me which is sightly worrying hmm but he is German and maybe that makes a difference?!

lou33 Wed 16-Jan-08 12:58:06

i wink at friends with whom i am sharing an unspoken joke, or men i fancy

ZippiBabes Wed 16-Jan-08 13:02:09

it's the repeated winking that is odd i feel like it is implying that we share some sort of understanding and we don't..no way

lou33 Wed 16-Jan-08 13:50:08

he probably has dirty dreams about you

DaDaDa Wed 16-Jan-08 14:33:27

I sometimes find I kind of do it at people by accident, if I'm smiling widely. Both men and women. It's hard to explain. I probably look deranged blush

It's slightly flirty but more conspiratorial I think. They probably just like you/like the look of you. The cut of your jib. Rather than desperately wanting to sleep with you. wink

ZippiBabes Wed 16-Jan-08 15:45:45

hmm i wonder what we are conspiring about? possibly the crappiness of his classes

hotsue Fri 18-Jan-08 15:40:43

Can't stand people who wink at me. Find it unnerving somehow. Women are worse.. used to work with a woman who winked all the time.. very odd. Somehow reminds me of old uncles when you were young winking at you.. never liked it then and still don't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now