to think that trick or treating should be made illegal?

(184 Posts)
Boogalooblue Mon 29-Oct-07 19:37:43

I am fed up with children coming round banging on front door, shouting 'trick or treat' and expecting vast quantities of sweets in return.angryangry
angry

I really do not understand why parents think this is acceptable.angry

I would not send my dcs out begging either accompanied or on their own and cannot comprehend why other parents do.

Yes I have given up answering door after dark on Halloween.

If you feel you must take your little devils darlings out, could you please just go to houses where you are obviously welcome ie a pumpkin in window/on front doorstep.

Not where the curtains are all drawn and light out.

Thank yougrin

halcyondays Thu 01-Nov-12 15:22:24

Yabu and miserable.

YerMaw1989 Thu 01-Nov-12 14:32:59

I wouldn't leave a bowl just cause some heffer will take the lot lol grin

socharlotte Thu 01-Nov-12 09:56:48

it doesn't matter that it's 5 yrs old- it is topical!
in our village people only call at houses with a lit pumpkin. Lots of people just leave a bowl of sweets outside the door (but that would probably only work in a naice area!)

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 01-Nov-12 09:29:47

Well spotted Virginia.

Should have known it was 'wordsofwisdom' or not that resurrected it!

Mawbroom - sorry! I read your post but it didn't click!! Duh!

RichTeas Thu 01-Nov-12 09:27:35

Double well said madamez.

YerMaw1989 Thu 01-Nov-12 09:18:46

Illegal?! :O stop being a Halloween scrooge!!

and when do kids expect vast quantities of sweets? I have a bag of funsize treats and they take one each usually and we still have loads left over.

I wouldn't take my kid to a dark house though, and I expect them to have dressed up a little. When a group of 15 year olds in trackies turn up at my door I'm like jog on!. lol

VirginiaDare Thu 01-Nov-12 09:16:59

5 year old thread, folks.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 01-Nov-12 09:04:45

Hecate - hey, don't go letting the facts spoil a good anti american whinge grin

I think it depends largely on where you live - if it's kids doing it, it's great. If it's older teenagers/adult etc making people scared then it's not on, but either get them told or call the local police station & report them.

However, making it illegal is just ridiculous.

I have always really enjoyed it but last night decided I can't face doing it as a group anymore. The older ones (my ds has sn) aged 10 charged ahead and just banged on doors, the younger ones couldn't keep up and one just sobbed the whole way round. I was the only mum trying to do crowd control and it was so stressful. Next year, I will just go with mine.

WelshMaenad Thu 01-Nov-12 08:36:26

We had a lovely night. We went to my mums - she bloody lives Halloween - and she decorated the porch up. We took the kids round her cul de sac, only to houses with decorations or yo people we knew that my dad had spoken to because they wanted to see my little ones in costume.

We had lots of visitors, all small, all very polite, all very appreciative of their treat bags.

Terrific fun. I'd be so sad if we couldn't do it. I think it's actually my favourite holiday.

carabos Thu 01-Nov-12 08:34:33

What I don't understand is where the "trick" element has gone. It seems that they bang on the door, you open it to find a couple of tiny ghosts /witches/ devils and a parent lurking behind the hedge.

Ghosts/witches/devils shriek "trick or treat" and burst out laughing. If you say "trick", they look at each other confused, whisper amongst themselves then ask the parent what to do. The parent then takes them away.

Really it's all about the sweets isn't it?

wonkylegs Thu 01-Nov-12 08:26:11

It was fab here last night and small children and teenagers alike were excitable but unfailingly polite.
Most of the tiny ones were in bought costumes but the teenagers had all gone to amazing lengths with home made costumes. Some of which were brilliant and very clever!
Doors were only knocked on if they were obviously participating (fair amount of spooky decorations and loads of pumpkins) and it's a really nice community round here with most people being sociable all year round.
Despite awful weather it was a lovely event , banning something that was so nice would be an awful (Daily mail) style idea. If you have anti-social behaviour report it but don't blame everybody for the minority of bad behaviour.

HecatePhosphoros Thu 01-Nov-12 08:22:48

It's actually not an american custom. well, it is, but it's not something they invented, they took it across with them from its roots in the celtic festival of Samhain, in All Souls Day, in scotland and ireland (guising)

In fact, it's probably because of irish migrants to the US taking Guising with them that they have trick or treating.

mawbroon Thu 01-Nov-12 08:18:17

ZOMBIE THREAD!

Very appropriate grin

fuzzpig Thu 01-Nov-12 08:17:44

There's no trick or treating round here really - most of our neighbours are young couples with no DCs, it's very quiet and not much of a community really. I feel a bit sad that my DCs won't get to do it. Last night we just had a movie night in the dark which was great but I feel so jealous of people who have the lovely halloween like you see on the movies grin

Our one young neighbour (9) had said he would be trick or treating and DD was really looking forward to it. By her bedtime she was really upset that she hadn't been able to give out sweets, so DH took her round in her costume to drop off a bag of sweets (turns out the boy wasn't in!). She liked that so we've decided next year we are going to make spooky biscuits or cakes and take them to her local friends' houses instead of ToT. smile

wordsofwisdom Thu 01-Nov-12 08:05:41

I think Trick or treat should be banned.
It's not a british custom it's American.
Do we have Thanksgiving or Labor Day, no, so why this?

People should not have to tolerate constant disturbances all evening.
If you love T or T that much, go live in the states.

It's actually called "Hawking" and is technically illegal.

onebatmother Thu 01-Nov-07 21:54:35

er.. yes, i think so polly. But nevermind, next year? Did you have fun, anyway?

pollywollydoodle Thu 01-Nov-07 21:00:32

am i the only mumsnetter not to have heard of the pumpkin rule before the eve of 31st

RedFraggle Thu 01-Nov-07 15:09:18

I hate it! Around here no-one seems to have heard of the pumpkin rule, even house in total darkness doesn't work, they just hammer on the door incessantly. Stupid "custom" to be following in my opinion and neither of my kids will be doing trick or treating in the future! Apple bobbing at home etc - fine. Disturbing total strangers in their own homes - nope.

onebatmother Thu 01-Nov-07 12:35:19

lisalisa lol soo funny! Would have loved to be fly on wall, bet little girl was thrilled! Next year you will have hundreds...

OrmIrian Thu 01-Nov-07 12:29:18

No problems here. Came back from my parents house about 6.30, dropped DS#1 at a party and then brought the other 2 home. Lit pumpkins and out one outside. Filled bowls with chocolates and waited. Most adults in the street were out watching the kids. I'd already been told by several people (without kids) that they were expecting mine to knock on their door. So my youngest 2 visited about 6 houses in the street where they were welcome. We had 3 knocks on the door - all of them kids I knew or LOs with grown-ups.

lisalisa Thu 01-Nov-07 12:29:06

Message withdrawn

FlightAttendant Thu 01-Nov-07 12:17:13

I had some teens round at about 9pm when I was putting the babies to bed. They knocked loudly and there were lots of muffled shrieks and such from outside.
I climbed onto the cupboard under the window and opened it and said, 'Do we know you?' which was met with some confusion, then I just said 'I'm sorry but I'm putting the children to be so I can't come down.'
They buggered off after that but I'd been reading my son a story and couldn't carry on, as I was too nervous about what they might do to the house.
I guess they just wanted cash anyway, all my lights were out and how the hell do they know who I am? If they did they wouldn't be asking for money...because I haven't got any.

I don't mind little kids but anyone older makes me quite angry. Unless we know them of course.

McDreamy Thu 01-Nov-07 12:00:12

It went reasonably well for us.

Took DD (aged 4) and her friend out for half an hour calling at houses that had put up some sort of halloween decroation (and some people had gone to great effort).[hsmile] Avoided any houses without their outside lights on.

Came home and answered the door to a couple of children who came to our house, [hsmile] and then, as we have such an early start here, we turned all the outside lights off and put the children to bed.

30 mins later we had a thumping, not knocking on our door, so we ignored it. Lots of shouting a and screaming outside, 5 minutes later thimping again....Dh opened the door and explained to a group of 15 and 16 years olds why we didn't appreciate their behaviour!!! [hsad]

starfish2 Thu 01-Nov-07 11:55:05

Big herd yesterday around my area. They only knocked on the houses that were decorated, or with a lit pumpkin or with a lantern, or with the front light on, and only from people they knew. No teens, only kiddies (and some of the mums were dressed up too!). All very polite, said thank you and went away nicely. All done by 8pm, then silence.
Dd was the smallest of the kids around, and was very pleased with every single sweet she got... and she was back home at 7pm.
In all those years that I have been living there, well before dd, I always loved it. Little ones nicely dressed up... I remember a little girl, just about capable of some speech, saying 'I'm a witch!', and some kids that had their dog decorated with lit-up red horns.
It may be a stupid tradition (its roots are in a harvest festival, wikipedia has a nice article on it), but at least where I live it is harmless and all of us have good fun...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now