to ask you to tweet your MP to ask them to #changeherstory? (domestic abuse)

(20 Posts)
FoofFighter Wed 09-Nov-16 20:37:30

icchange.co.uk/pmb/

#changeherstory

I've tweeted mine to ask if they will be attending the private members bill. If 100 MPs turn up and vote on 16 December, it will pass to the next stage.

FoofFighter Wed 09-Nov-16 21:54:41

gosh, surprised at not one reply

nicenewdusters Wed 09-Nov-16 22:41:57

I'd never heard of that Convention before Foof, can't believe it's been four years and still not implemented.

I'll tweet my MP this week. Have no idea what their track record is in this area, but it's the kind of thing they should be involved in, in my opinion.

FoofFighter Thu 10-Nov-16 08:08:09

Thanks Dusters!

AskBasil Thu 10-Nov-16 08:33:23

Tweeted to MP

Seren68 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:45:02

Will be investigating further - surprised it's not higher profile on twitter with people I follow. Thanks for heads up - important stuff

angryangryyoungwoman Thu 10-Nov-16 20:02:27

I have emailed my mp, thanks for bringing this to my attention

FoofFighter Thu 10-Nov-16 20:29:34

Thank you all flowers

Shameless evening bump

JessaHanna Thu 10-Nov-16 23:12:36

Done smile

FoofFighter Fri 11-Nov-16 06:02:44

Thanks flowers

bibliomania Fri 11-Nov-16 11:32:48

Thanks for flagging this up. I have emailed my MP - sounds like the kind of thing she would be likely to support.

FoofFighter Fri 11-Nov-16 14:13:49

Thank you flowers
Really how that at least some mners are reading and taking part without posting on thread as it's making me very sad to think that nobody cares much about this until of course it happens to you or someone you know

bibliomania Fri 11-Nov-16 14:16:18

I hope so to. (If anyone wants to email their MP, a quick google will get you their address. It's 5 mins to do it, tops).

MrsHathaway Fri 11-Nov-16 14:29:18

Rather than being snarky, you might try putting a bit more information in your OP. Like any, tbh.

I used www.writetothem.com to e-mail my MP, and here is the text I used:

^Dr Eilidh Whiteford MP has introduced a Private Member’s Bill which would require the UK Government to make the Istanbul Convention law in the UK - if successful. The vote is on 16 December, a Friday, which is a day I understand many MPs tend to spend in their constituencies. This PMB has been brought to my attention by icchange.co.uk/pmb/.^

"The Istanbul Convention is the most comprehensive legal framework that exists, outlining minimum standards for a State’s response to violence against women and girls. Violence against women and girls takes many forms and is widespread in the UK. The Istanbul Convention would guarantee urgently needed change to prevent and tackle violence against women. For example, it would protect funding for domestic violence shelters, rape crisis centres, and 24/7 helplines; ensure education on healthy relationships in schools; and guarantee awareness-raising campaigns."

The Government has been stalling on the Istanbul Convention since 2012. More recently, the election of Donald Trump has frightened a lot of us who believe in equality and fair treatment. We want Britain to be a beacon to the rest of the world.

I should be enormously grateful if you would consider attending the vote at Westminster on 16 December to show your support for women and girls in <constituency name>, our country and the wider world.

Hope that's useful to someone.

FoofFighter Fri 11-Nov-16 18:45:54

Not at all snarky confused but thanks for that.

Info is all there on the link which takes all of a second to click on.

MrsHathaway Fri 11-Nov-16 19:11:45

If you can't understand why people wouldn't click a link without a clue to its content, we don't have anything else to say to each other.

Which is a shame really.

FoofFighter Fri 11-Nov-16 21:23:32

Thanks for your input.

SpidersFromMars Wed 14-Dec-16 23:34:42

Votes coming up to ratify this on Friday 16th. Time to tweet your MPs.

SpidersFromMars Wed 14-Dec-16 23:36:28

...and another link. About what the Istanbul convention is and why it matters.

www.thedebrief.co.uk/news/politics/istanbul-convention-what-is-it-20161265952

itsatrap Thu 15-Dec-16 00:05:28

Struggling to see the snark in anything foof said. This is an important issue everyone should be aware of and take action on. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now