To find all the DS/DD/DM/DF etc frustrating?

(98 Posts)
MissClarke86 Mon 25-Jul-16 07:14:35

Very light hearted post here and I am 7 weeks pregnant so likely just being a hormonal grump, but all the abbreviations to refer to family members drive me mad! It takes me longer to work out what means what than it would for the person to just type "mum", "son" etc. Many of them are only one letter longer than writing DM/ DS and it doesn't require a caps lock press!! I know that it's not that hard to figure out really, but they always look so similar that I do have to pause and think about it and it affects the flow of anything I'm reading.

It's even worse when trying to figure out long stories about step families, and also figuring out the differences between DSs (sisters) and DSs (sons).

Why do we insist on abbreviations for EVERYTHING here?

Squeegle Mon 25-Jul-16 07:16:02

IDK

UnexpectedBaggage Mon 25-Jul-16 07:17:03

It used to irritate me when I first joined but, like the Borg, I have been assimilated.

HTH

CuttedUpPear Mon 25-Jul-16 07:18:19

TSSDNCOP

HTH
TTFN

MissClarke86 Mon 25-Jul-16 07:18:24

I don't know what IDK or HTH mean either! The other abbreviations don't irk me as much because they're not so similar.

Is IDK - I don't know?

MissClarke86 Mon 25-Jul-16 07:18:56

Okay I was asking for that grin

pippistrelle Mon 25-Jul-16 07:19:44

Just maintain your own high standards and set an example, Original Poster.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Mon 25-Jul-16 07:20:12

I don't mind DS and DD

DM, DF (which can mean friend, father or fiancé) and DMIL/DBIL are annoying.

DDog is bonkers!

Tanaqui Mon 25-Jul-16 07:20:25

It used to be very common in lots of forums- it's not a mumsnet thing. It's quicker to type- especially on a non keyboard phone!- and don't caps lock, just hold shift!

ClopySow Mon 25-Jul-16 07:20:27

It does my head in too.

DDog tips me over the edge.

acasualobserver Mon 25-Jul-16 07:21:21

I agree with you, OP. My response is just not to use them myself - they're not compulsory and no-one seems to care.

SavoyCabbage Mon 25-Jul-16 07:22:42

You just get used to it. It's not just Mumsnet that used ds and so on.

99.9% of posts are about Mother-in Laws so that's a saving on your typing right there!

eurochick Mon 25-Jul-16 07:23:23

I've been on here for years and haven't been assimilated. I still think they are ridiculous and have never yet used them.

pippistrelle Mon 25-Jul-16 07:28:10

I agree with you, OP. My response is just not to use them myself

But OP is the acceptable face of abbreviation grin.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 25-Jul-16 07:28:38

Yeah, I sometimes give up when the first paragraph is:

'So, me and my DP live with DD1, SDD1 SDD2 and DS2. My DS1 lives with my ex-DH and his new DP, who also has a DD12.

confused

BoGrainger Mon 25-Jul-16 07:30:35

There's no law about caps, I don't use them. And dd is a lot easier than than repeating 'my daughter' a few times both from a writing point of view and also for reading it.

annandale Mon 25-Jul-16 07:32:39

They're not compulsory.

Stick around as long as I have and you will find yourself using them in conversation.

UnexpectedBaggage Mon 25-Jul-16 07:34:11

DDog tips me over the edge.

I may have once seen DFish.

HapShawl Mon 25-Jul-16 07:38:14

Mumsnet didn't invent those acronyms, they've been around on many Internet forums for a long time

KoalaDownUnder Mon 25-Jul-16 07:43:05

Mumsnet didn't invent them, but they seem to occur in greater density than on some other sites.

Probably because many of the posts on here involve a convoluted web of in-laws, exes, step-siblings, and so on.

DurhamDurham Mon 25-Jul-16 07:45:45

I don't use them myself, I just write daughter or husband etc.
it does annoy me when I don't know what some of them mean, I can usually work it out because of the context but sometimes I have no idea and have to google it!!

DesolateWaist Mon 25-Jul-16 07:46:32

I agree with you, OP. My response is just not to use them myself
grin

Ohflippinheck Mon 25-Jul-16 07:55:16

God yes. It's like reading algebra sometimes. I was just wondering this morning whether I would be vilified for just writing son.

BoGrainger Mon 25-Jul-16 07:59:12

It's only confusing when some posters say e.g. dd4 and mean that the daughter they are referring to is 4 years old when i have always taken it to mean the 4th daughter. Today I read dd12 and did a quick shock

seven201 Mon 25-Jul-16 08:00:23

They make my brain hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now