Cost of baby sitting

(376 Posts)
Niloufes Wed 18-May-16 13:07:07

Our baby sister recently told us that she is putting her costs up to minimum wage per hour, £7.20 an hour. Am i being unreasonable to think this is too much? She comes round when our 3 year old daughter is asleep and waits until we get home. Only once has she woken up and needed a drink and so the sitter is just sitting watching tv the rest of the time. Is this a normal amount to pay? we paid £6 before. aibu?

Bambooshoots14 Wed 18-May-16 13:07:49

How old is she?

VodkaValiumLattePlease Wed 18-May-16 13:08:45

I don't think either of you are being ur, her choice to put her price up & your choice to accept that and use her again or go elsewhere for a cheaper rate

Niloufes Wed 18-May-16 13:08:58

The baby sitter is in her 40s, my daughter is 3.

EatShitDerek Wed 18-May-16 13:09:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OddBoots Wed 18-May-16 13:09:27

She can charge what she likes but you are also free to find a new babysitter or not go out if you wish. There is no reasonable or unreasonable in this, it's a free choice for both sides.

Niloufes Wed 18-May-16 13:10:43

Vodka, yes that's what my other half says, vote with our feet. But I feel like saying something. Its not like she is childminding during the day time with activities etc its just sitting so it feels too much.

Artandco Wed 18-May-16 13:10:50

Min is £10 he around here. We pay £15 per hr as have a regular person who also does some daytime hours

Niloufes Wed 18-May-16 13:12:08

How much do others pay?

VodkaValiumLattePlease Wed 18-May-16 13:12:33

What do you want to say? You aren't worth that much? I don't know how well that's going to go down

Niloufes Wed 18-May-16 13:13:19

£10-£15 an hour! wow! mine is cheap then.

fiorentina Wed 18-May-16 13:16:11

I think that's cheap but it depends where you are maybe. If your child likes and trusts this person that is worth something as they may not be as happy with a teenager they don't know?

IamCarcass Wed 18-May-16 13:19:25

I'd not charge less than £10 an hour. Why should her time to look after your child be worth less than minimum wage?

Fridaynamechange Wed 18-May-16 13:19:25

I babysit and get £10 p/h and families normally round it up. I have a childcare qualification and am experienced as working with children is my full time job. I certainly wouldn't give my evening up for £6 an hour, would you work for that yourself?

If you don't want to pay her then don't use her but finding someone who will charge less who you can trust might not be easy.

KayTee87 Wed 18-May-16 13:19:47

Surely all adults should be paid minimum wage? I believe the wages are less when it's a teen, can't remember the exact amounts.

Niloufes Wed 18-May-16 13:20:52

Vodka. Well yes really, wha i want to say is "why do you feel I should pay you £1.20 more an hour for the same service?" but it wouldn't go down well I suspect. Its also annoying that the same sitter does the same price for someone else I know and they have 2 children in bed, so it feels over the top even more for just 1. We'll probably vote with our feet and go elsewhere.

moggle Wed 18-May-16 13:21:05

It's not just about what she's doing (or not doing) at your house, but also what she could be doing at home instead. If she feels it's worth more than what she's currently charging then of course she can / should put her prices up.
Plus whether or not your daughter wakes up is by the by - your paying her to be a surrogate parent really for those hours, to deal with any problems that arise. If you're so sure it's such an easy job, there are never any issues and so it's and not worth paying much, then as others have said get a teenager to do it for less. I would think a 40 year old would be better at dealing with anything unexpected that might happen than a teenager but I guess you never know.
As your daughter gets older you might feel that paying for an experienced babysitter is not necessary and that's fair enough. I'm sure she feels that she has enough customers who are happy to pay the MW so if you stop using her and even if you tell her why, it won't be much skin off her nose.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 18-May-16 13:21:22

We pay our teenage babysitters (all guides or ex guides of mine) £5 an hour. We pay our nursery Key worker £8 an hour. We are within an hour of London.

DD always asleep before they arrive and rarely wakes up.

ThinkPinkStink Wed 18-May-16 13:23:24

I shocked that people think it's okay to question paying someone the minimum wage...

The minimum wage is literally that - the absolute bare bottom minimum a person should be paid for their time.

And it's not as if she's sweeping leaves from your garden, she is responsible for the safety and comfort of your darling offspring... Jeepers.

Niloufes Wed 18-May-16 13:23:54

Kay - if she was cleaning for those 4 hours then yes i'd agree with you but all she is doing is sitting watching tv. Its feels too much.

Vixxfacee Wed 18-May-16 13:23:58

You begrudge paying a 40 year old woman minimum wage? ?

£6 an hour is crap.

Niloufes Wed 18-May-16 13:26:51

Well you ask an honest question and you get honest answers i suppose.

gwenneh Wed 18-May-16 13:27:14

We pay £7.20/hr, and it goes up to £8 if we're out late.

You're not hiring a teenager and even then, this is childcare you're talking about.

Mominatrix Wed 18-May-16 13:29:20

We pay at least £10/hr. I'd feel guilty paying less.

someonestolemynick Wed 18-May-16 13:31:31

Good luck finding someone cheaper.
I wouldn't give my evening up for less than £10 per hour. I think it's outragous that you begrudge paying someone minimum wage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now