To be surprised that people flush tampons and towels still?

(213 Posts)
Pipbin Sun 20-Apr-14 18:56:04

So many people seem to fail to see that it's a problem.

This program: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0419n5m/watermen-a-dirty-business-episode-1 showed why it's a problem.

TruJay Sun 20-Apr-14 18:59:00

I really don't understand why u would. Some people flush wet wipes too. Baffles me, there is a bin right next to the loo confused

DidoTheDodo Sun 20-Apr-14 18:59:37

Fair enough...but I have just had to empty the bathroom bin which was full of my DSDs sanitary towels. And I wasn't expecting that!

EyelinerQueen Sun 20-Apr-14 19:00:01

I had no idea so many people did it till I read a thread about it on here shock .

How minging <<bokes>>

TillyTellTale Sun 20-Apr-14 19:04:10

I find it surprising, but apparently the instructions used to advise one to flush and it was a selling point. There's even still a reference to them being flushable on the offical history of Tampax site. I can't say I've re-read many books from when I was 13-16 just to check for updates, never mind any instruction leaflets. So I can't really blame other women for not having done so.

Pipbin Sun 20-Apr-14 19:04:17
WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Sun 20-Apr-14 19:04:24

It's astonishing isn't it? I thought everyone knew it but realised on another thread recently that some still aren't aware of the problems it causes.

Pipbin Sun 20-Apr-14 19:05:58

I don't use tampax (I get TSS), does it still say that on the instructions, really? I know Always say not to flush.

uselessidiot Sun 20-Apr-14 19:06:00

Why are you surprised? People really don't care about anything beyond immediate impact on themselves. They don't consider the bigger picture because it's inconvenient.

Misspilly88 Sun 20-Apr-14 19:07:34

I had no idea you aren't meant to flush tampons!? My parents never had a bin in the bathroom, as mum used to flush hers so I never knew any different. Thankfully have a mooncup now so don't hate me!

Bananapickle Sun 20-Apr-14 19:09:28

I'm going to be the first idiot on this thread!! Honestly didn't know I shouldn't flush tampons... Have never flushed towels but thought tampons were ok :-s Will obviously stop (once I'm not pregnant anymore!!)
I was shocked to hear that mums flush wet wipes though. We had major drain issues locally and it was all because of wet wipes.
Anyway learnt sometime new today.

It's funny what people pick as their personal bugbear.

Flying is the most environmentally damaging thing you can do, flushing tampons is very far down the list.

Perhaps folk should make a list and agree not to do them?

Or we can all agree we're a bunch of normal fucking hypocrites and carry on flying and moaning about tampons wink

TillyTellTale Sun 20-Apr-14 19:12:09

Pipbin The playtex site claims they're flushable, too.

It would serve them right if someone with a septic tank sued them for being misleading.

pigsDOfly Sun 20-Apr-14 19:12:09

People can be a bit daft about this sort of thing. Where I used to work someone put several paper towels down the loo and tried to flush them away. Blocked up the whole system.

pipbin I hope those pop-ins are environmentally friendly! Seems like a waste of resources to me!

smartypants1000 Sun 20-Apr-14 19:16:28

I had no idea you weren't supposed to flush tampons. I'm guessing my mum must have done as we never had a bin in the bathroom growing up and consequently we don't have one in our house either. I'm sure it's what I was told to do with them, although I don't specifically remember that.

Sorry, another ignorant here! I remember back when I started my period the instructions were to tear towels in half and flush, and to flush tampons (although not applicators)

Before everyone gets too upset, I don't flush them at home as we're on a septic tank, and I don't flush them when out if there's a sanitary bin provided. I have been flushing them elsewhere though blush but won't now!

Hopefully I'll have a mooncup soon. We've had a run of 'tight' months and I haven't had enough left in the kitty yet, but it won't be long.

MrsDeVere Sun 20-Apr-14 19:26:30

I didn't know they were not flushable until I read it on MN a couple of years ago.

I think quite a few things are marketed as flushable. Being flushable doesn't mean they are biodegradable. It just seems to mean they will go down the loo without blocking it hmm

It must be obvious that pads shouldn't be flushed though. It must take a lot of flushing to get them to go down.

I think that people do care but they don't always realise the impact of their actions.

I have never seen any information on the tv or in magazines warning against flushing tampons.

I doubt we ever will. Adverts for sanitary products are getting more and more coy, the products are being packaged like twee little sweeties and scented like drawer fresheners.

So I can't see the being shown in their full drain blocking glory on prime time tv anytime soon.

The Daily Mail might do a piece on how women are to blame for global warming though, with their insistence on using new fangled products that allow them to leave the house during their feminine monthlies.....

slithytove Sun 20-Apr-14 19:28:46

lil lets say you can flush them, which I do. Genuinely didn't realise. I don't flush pads or wipes though.

rollonthesummer Sun 20-Apr-14 19:30:42

I've always flushed them! Are any brands biodegradable?

SleepySuitcaseSheepie Sun 20-Apr-14 19:30:52

Dido - why are you surprised that your DSD has put her sanitary towels in the bathroom bin?

AuntieMaggie Sun 20-Apr-14 19:31:21

Its one of my pet peeves and I had an angry moment in the supermarket yesterday at the word 'flushable' in big letters on the front of moist toilet wipes!

SleepySuitcaseSheepie Sun 20-Apr-14 19:33:44

Dido - why are you surprised that your DSD has put her sanitary towels in the bathroom bin?

WaitMonkey Sun 20-Apr-14 19:34:42

Apart from the environmental aspect, I'm amazed anyone flushes anything down the toilet other than toilet paper. I'd worry to much about blocked drains.

brokenhearted55a Sun 20-Apr-14 19:35:22

Am I alone in using these?www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251009946

Worried about the environment pipbin and yet you dispose of every tampon / towel in it's own plastic bag which is not biodegradable?!

Ffs wrap it in toilet paper!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now