to ask you to save a bee

(101 Posts)
wonderingsoul Sun 07-Jul-13 07:55:10

As you know bees are very important, but the numbers have decreased by alot over th epast couple of years.

i saw a post on the dreaded facebook, asking if you found a bee not flying. or laying around. mix up some white suger with water, pour on some tisue and put it next to the bee, or if the bees to sick place the bee on it.

it acts as a quick engry intake and hopfull the bee will fly off.

i found a huggeeee bee in my living room today, and i have to admit i am scared of them to. but it was trying to get back out the window but couldnt fly high enough. so i did the mixture, it crawled onto it and drank it. i have to admit it was pretty amazing seeing this so close up.
it had it fill and flew right out the window to the flowers below.

i just wanted to share, as i ts pretty cool and to ask if that if you can, help them. we need em.

Also, make sure there's water about somewhere in the garden in this heat, and if you can, plant "open" bloom flowers (ones where you can see the polleny bit) as more "frilly" flowers are inaccessible by bees.
Geraniums are easy to grow and bee-friendly.

saintmerryweather Sun 07-Jul-13 08:02:01

i want to find a bee to save now!

wonderingsoul Sun 07-Jul-13 08:04:00

saint i know... iv been waiting weeks to test this out

A little drop of honey works as well. I have watched bees for HOURS doing this. It is quite wonderful and they don't mind having their photos taken.

wonderingsoul Sun 07-Jul-13 08:04:49

inmysparetime

i shall check out town to see if i can get some smile

ArtisanLentilWeaver Sun 07-Jul-13 08:09:43

Done!
Next door neighbour found a limp bee on my doorstep so we put a tiny bit of honey and water on a lolly stick and the bee licked it. Great long tongues.
Neighbour took bee to her greenhouse and watched it. It licked the honey and water for about an hour then flew outside.smile

Very interesting.

We are currently hosting a beesnest hmm so we have plenty of dopey/knackered bees around this year. I'll see what I can do!

claraschu Sun 07-Jul-13 08:13:19

I'm always rescuing bees who got stuck inside our house, but I didn't know to do this. Thanks!

wonderingsoul Sun 07-Jul-13 08:14:50

apprently honey is not safe to give them? honey that is not local can contain viruis, which they then take back to the nest.

though im sure its got to be better then n othing? also brown sugar isnt good as they cant digest it.

it is pretty amazing to watch.

wasps on the other hand.. can foookkk off. they give me the shivers just thinking about them

meganorks Sun 07-Jul-13 08:17:10

I keep finding limp bees sitting around. Been trying to move them so they don't get trodden on, bit will try this next time.

Pixieonthemoor Sun 07-Jul-13 08:22:01

Thanks for the fascinating tip. I quite often spot exhausted bumbles on the pavement so will try this next time. Glad it's not only me - we are always getting whopping bumbles in our kitchen and as I throw myself around trying to shoo it out, my children regard me with this face hmm

Burmobasher Sun 07-Jul-13 08:22:16

I actually did this last night for a little bee I found on the patio. Just been down to check on the little fella this morning but sorry to say Eric didn't make it.
I know from others though that it does work, great advice op smile

CheungFun Sun 07-Jul-13 08:27:49

Cool! I will try this if I get the chance! We have lots of bees in our garden at the moment as our flowers are blooming smile

Burmillababe Sun 07-Jul-13 11:07:33

That's amazing, I have never heard of this before but I will make sure I do this!

HarderToKidnap Sun 07-Jul-13 11:13:04

EricA, surely, bees are almost always girls!

My mum did this all the time, thanks for reminding me OP!

LEMisdisappointed Sun 07-Jul-13 11:16:10

I am seeing so many poorly bees lately, much more than i used to - why is this? I also rescue bees

ElectricSheep Sun 07-Jul-13 11:17:33

I've got loads of clover on my lawn at the moment so can't mow it as there are loads and loads of bees in the clover. Ohhhhh dear!

HarderToKidnap Sun 07-Jul-13 11:19:38

They just get tired, literally work til they drop. They'll have been going mad in this hot weather.

I didn't know they could be saved, I saw two yesterday on their backs while out walking with DS. Will definitely try next time. Thanks!

Oldraver Sun 07-Jul-13 12:58:02

We've got Bumble Bee nests in our garden but havn't seen any dozy ones yet.

They do like to get tangled up in the washing though.

SoupDragon Sun 07-Jul-13 13:11:32

I've done this for years smile Sometimes I'll pick them a flower (this is how I get any bees out of the house if they won't fly out of the door/window)

Shame that won't work for spiders, Soup.

redwellybluewelly Sun 07-Jul-13 13:46:08

We are hosting a bumblebee nest in our eaves this year ans keep finding tired and worn out (and dead) bees all over our doorstep. Its marginally frustrating as its over the nursery window which stops us opening it.

Will try to help as many as possible!

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 07-Jul-13 13:50:52

We saved a bee last week. DD2 must have been learning about them at school because she came rushing in from the kitchen begging me to save it before it died of "flying into the window too much"

It wasn't limp or tired, just stupid. It kept flying into the window pane repeatedly trying to get through it.

We caught it on a feather duster and took it to the park to let it go near flowers. Dd2 was very pleased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now