Rubbish role

(82 Posts)
catty1234 Fri 24-May-13 22:21:31

My DD is a good singer and actor (she really is, im not being the flattering mother) and today she audition for a main part in her school play. Saw her audition while practising and was honestly really good!
She came home today crying saying that she was something like a bush, told she was untalented and all the favourites that have had every main role and every solo in every school play have got the main parts.
She said she would not be a bush and go through hour's of rehearsals for 1 line.
So IABU to send a letter in requesting she help backstage, because she wanted to do this if she didn't get the role she wanted.
P.s this play has been her fav since she was 3 and the character has been her fav as well. She is now year 6

CalicoRose Fri 24-May-13 22:59:33

I think the children who get the main roles are the ones the teacher knows can be counted on to learn their lines and knows can be counted on to turn up.

They can't risk a good actor who forgets her lines.... Or isn't there....

I know that's why my DS who is rubbish at acting always gets bigger parts than my DD who very much enjoys acting. He's got a good memory, she doesn't.

AgentZigzag Fri 24-May-13 23:01:30

I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask in passing whether the DD can help out on other things while she's hanging about for her bush/snake lines to shine.

Writing a letter might be a bit formal for it though, would you be able to resist telling them exactly what you think of their casting decisions OP?

kilmuir Fri 24-May-13 23:01:41

Have to say I do think there are fav pupils that get the 'best' roles, but also 2 of my children would love a speaking part and the other 2 would be mortified. Teachers usually know which kids fit in each group

pictish Fri 24-May-13 23:03:50

I doubt anyone told her she was untalented - that just does not ring true at all.

My lad usually gets picked for a main role in the school play. It is mostly because he isn't shy, and he speaks out clearly so everyone can hear him.

ReallyTired Fri 24-May-13 23:07:25

Some children are brighter than others. They speak more clearly, they have good memories. Often they have proven time and time again to be hard working and reliable.

In my son's class all the children on top table have the top parts. This is a bit ironic as many famous actors and actresses aren't super academic.

These children aren't favourites - They are more talented than the rest of the class.

thepig Fri 24-May-13 23:12:26

Oh dear get over yourself OP, your DD can't act as well as the 'favs' can. No ifs no buts.

Write a letter? You're all at once the worst example of modern parenting and that awful stereotype of the parent of the terrible singer on the xfactor.

catty1234 Sat 25-May-13 09:47:24

Hey everybody, last night I checked web and DD has been changed as the person who got it pulled out. Smiles all round, thanks for posting!

catty1234 Sat 25-May-13 09:47:46

*this morning soz

catty1234 Sat 25-May-13 09:50:29

and just for the record the pig parents do it quite often in the school and there was help backstage.

Damnautocorrect Sat 25-May-13 10:15:28

Have you thought of enrolling her in an after school drama club? More of a level playing field away from school politics.

squeakytoy Sat 25-May-13 10:17:25

pig parents??? confused

Dominodonkey Sat 25-May-13 10:26:57

So has she got the role she wanted now? Make the supposed comment about her being in talented rather unlikely..

nightingalefloor Sat 25-May-13 12:09:05

So she's been promoted from snake to main role? Surely the school would have chosen one of the other children with a bigger part, given that their giving your DD a non part suggests they didn't think she was up to it? Surely if she was their next choice she would have been given a bigger alternative role in the first place? hmm

NoelHeadbands Sat 25-May-13 12:18:50

Haha what a load of old bollox, funny though

EarlyInTheMorning Sat 25-May-13 12:42:27

Well I was going to say that you should have told your DD to suck it up and accept her role with good grace but I see it doesn't matter now. You sound a bit precious I'm afraid.

Dawndonna Sat 25-May-13 12:45:14

Sharon?

NynaevesSister Sat 25-May-13 12:58:23

Isn't anyone else concerned about then pig parents doing it all the time in the school grin

Mia4 Sat 25-May-13 13:42:41

Is this meant to be a not-great parody of Peppa pig episode or something? I can't think of any other reason, given the pig parents it screams PP, and also that you wouldn't just comfort your child but also teach them not to be a special snowflake. confused

AgentZigzag Sat 25-May-13 14:28:45

Are pig parents PITA PTA parents?

QueenStromba Sat 25-May-13 14:34:52

I was about to say the same thing Dawndonna!

Floggingmolly Sat 25-May-13 14:43:15

What a load of balls!

FriendlyLadybird Sat 25-May-13 15:12:46

The 'pig parents' came about due to a lack of commas in one of the posts! Sorry, that is very funny. The OP meant to say (in response to a post from someone called thepig) '...and just for the record, the pig, parents do it all the time ...'

Perhaps people should be taught to use commas, after all.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 25-May-13 22:02:54

Is this Jungle Book Jr? The bushes and snake or rather coils are actually quite good parts in that. We cast our strongest dancers as coils including my dd

HibiscusIsland Sat 25-May-13 22:58:41

I still don't really understand how the previous role she had was like a bush and was also a snake. A snake is nothing like a bush.

Also, do you think your daughter was telling the truth when she said that the school said she was untalented? They have just given her the main part.

BriansBrain Sat 25-May-13 23:02:49

What??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now