To believe 24 is hardly too old to get into a new career?

(37 Posts)
Bunraku Sat 18-May-13 11:24:10

In the past few years I have become interested in the human body, regarding how and why people die and the different ways in which it can happen.

I spent my younger days badly asI thought I wanted to work in IT but I actually hated it. I moved on to care work which I enjoyed but I stopped after becoming pg and never went back because the pay was not worth returning for with childcare expenses.

I have since decided that I would like to become a Anatomical Pathology Technician but I have no idea what sorts of qualifications I need or where to start really. Everyone I have spoken to has either indicate that they think there is something wrong with me for wanting to work in a morgue, and others have told me that it is too late for me to acquire the required qualifications because I should have decided this at school.

So aibu to think that being 24 does not mean I am too old and to think that there is nothing wrong, or weird about the path I want to follow?

And finally, would anybody be able to point me in the right direction?

NewAtThisMalarky Sat 18-May-13 11:28:34

Hah, of course 24 isn't too old. You've barely started your working life! You've still got 40 ish years to work, might as well choose something that interests you.

Can't help you though.

hackmum Sat 18-May-13 11:29:16

Can't point you in the right direction, but 24 is certainly not too old, and if it's something you're interested in and really want to do, then do it. If other people think it's odd, that's their problem, not yours.

Euphemia Sat 18-May-13 11:29:20

Too late, bollocks. I started my teacher training on my 40th birthday.

The Hotcourses website is a good place to start searching.

purplewithred Sat 18-May-13 11:30:38

Google is your friend...

NHS Careers here

SandStorm Sat 18-May-13 11:31:26

I changed career at 43 so no, you're not too old by any stretch of the imagination!

BeckAndCall Sat 18-May-13 11:32:37

Of course it's not too late! But how long it will take you will depend on what subjects you took for A level - if it's sciences, that will give you a head start. If not, you'll probably need to work on those first.

PolterGoose Sat 18-May-13 11:32:50

I'm 42 and considering re-training. Never too old in my view.

Good luck flowers

YANBU. I am 34 and retraining. I wasn't ready before now.

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 18-May-13 11:40:47

I have a friend who does autopsies - i can't remember what her job title is. She loves her job. She retrained for it at 28, and I've honestly never seen her happier.

Go for it smile

Witchesbrewandbiscuits Sat 18-May-13 11:46:26

def not too old. im in my 30's and currently retraining. also you are not weird. it is an extremely important job, and i take my hat off to you for wanting to pursue it. def look at nhs carrers website but also nhs jobs website. they sometimes have trainee positions available. you could also approach your local hosp for some voluntary experience. not sure what the policies are for that particular area but its def worth asking. go for it, and good luck smile

EduCated Sat 18-May-13 11:55:19

HAHAHA! I mean that in a nice way, of course 24 isn't too old, anyone implying it is is a nob.

Go you, sounds like a great move for you <pom poms>

CecilyP Sat 18-May-13 11:59:16

24 seems pretty young to me and a good time to think about retraining. I knew a doctor who had previously been an English teacher. Finding her vocation meant that she had to go back to school and take sciences (literally, she had to sit in with the school kids as there was no FE option here). But she has never looked back and will still have over a 30 year career in medicine.

Mumsyblouse Sat 18-May-13 12:02:57

Bunraku- certainly not too old for a change, in fact, it may be an advantage to be slightly more mature when working in a sensitive area. The only thing I do think though is it doesn't show that much initiative if you can't find out what qualifications you need, or how to go about it- one MNetter has found that for you in 10 sec of googling, and if you are really serious about this, then making contact with the local hospital mortuary head might be good as you could then ask if you could visit/observe a few times before deciding if you want to go down that path; they may also know of local vacancies coming up.

minouminou Sat 18-May-13 12:04:49

Errr....let me think.....
Errrrr......

NO!!!!!!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 18-May-13 12:09:28

hahahaha

24 too old?! How utterly ridiculous. You have been speaking to some narrow-minded people.

Get some careers advice and go for it

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 18-May-13 12:11:01

I am also a bit confused as to why you are asking us? You are computer-literate so get googling...

Decoy Sat 18-May-13 12:13:27

Go for it! I know of people who've started on a new path decades later than you. Take no notice of the nay-sayers, find out all the information you need and make a start on what you'd like to do smile

Punkatheart Sat 18-May-13 12:14:53

I am twice as old and I reinvented myself as journalist and travel writer. Now I am writing food reviews. It's flipping exciting!

Good luck on your new adventure.

MsJupiterJones Sat 18-May-13 12:18:46

24 definitely not too old as everyone has said. Know lots of people who changed career in their 30s & 40s (doctor to actor seems a popular choice for some reason!)

Punk did you do a journalism course or just start writing?

Punkatheart Sat 18-May-13 12:39:38

No not a single course. I read, then I wrote. Entered comps and then pitched ideas. Bit of bravado really. Thank God for the Internet and email!

ItsYonliMe Sat 18-May-13 12:42:15

Oh gosh no. I have a friend who totally retrained/re-invented themselves at 40 years old. Go for it.

LizGreen Sat 18-May-13 12:44:21

I have a friend who at 31 quit his job and started a degree in maths so that he could become an actuary.

Never too old until they nail the lid shut.

Weegiemum Sat 18-May-13 12:45:19

I only started my first career around 24.

Changed again about 38.

And again last year at 41.

You're never too old!!

bran Sat 18-May-13 12:46:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now