Aibu to ask for a FULL refund

(44 Posts)
Domjolly Fri 22-Mar-13 19:55:18

We were supposed to be going camping in the easter hoildays we paid £140 for four nights

So yesturday they called me and cancelled because the field is a boggy marsh and no camping can be , had fair enough they offered us camping in the summer but were already away for 3 weeks on two seprate occasions during the summer camping so oh could not get any more time off work

I asked if we could have a date next year they said no and are now keeping £40 of the £100 that cant be right can it or aibu

thegreylady Fri 22-Mar-13 19:56:57

If they cancelled then they have to give you a full refund surely.I would make noises about Trading Standards,local newspapers [letter to] and trip advisor.

orangepudding Fri 22-Mar-13 19:57:11

I would expect a full refund as they have cancelled.

YouTheCat Fri 22-Mar-13 19:58:53

I'd say it's fair enough. It'll cover their admin and they did offer you summer dates (which would probably be at a higher premium).

They can't control the weather or the fact that you have other arrangements for the summer. At least you are getting some of the money back.

RubyGates Fri 22-Mar-13 19:59:28

They cancelled not you. It's not your fault so they need to give you all the money back.

ENormaSnob Fri 22-Mar-13 19:59:37

As they've cancelled on you I would expect them to offer full refund.

SnotMeReally Fri 22-Mar-13 19:59:42

you paid for a service that THEY have decided they cannot provide.

You are not obliged to settle for a replacement booking, they are not entitled to withhold any of your money.

Don't let them get away with this (though I can sympathise, if they rely on this income, it will be a tough time for them)

PlasticLentilWeaver Fri 22-Mar-13 20:00:27

I would expect full refund. They cancelled and offered an unsuitable alternative.

YouTheCat Fri 22-Mar-13 20:01:52

Did you have holiday insurance?

SnotMeReally Fri 22-Mar-13 20:02:17

eh, you the cat? They can't control the weather or the fact that you have other arrangements for the summer....

so if you paid a deposit for a family meal out or something, and the restaurant canclled and only offered you a part refund because you were unable to rebook on any night they had available that's OK, just shrug it off?

No way!

flossy101 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:02:37

YANBU

I would expect a full refund.

INeedThatForkOff Fri 22-Mar-13 20:03:28

YouTheCat, what are you on about? Why would it be fair enough if they've sold a service they can't provide?

SnotMeReally Fri 22-Mar-13 20:03:48

as for covering their admin - first thats not the OPs problem, and second it would not cost them £40 to phone her and cancel, they are trying it on.

Domjolly Fri 22-Mar-13 20:03:49

I not cross at them dont get me worng we would have actually liked to go in the summer but because oh took the time off to go at easter hes now used up all his days if you add in the summer camping we will do

I just think its a bit cheeky and we are not gonna starve it we dont get the £40 back but i just thinking its the princeable

Domjolly Fri 22-Mar-13 20:05:32

Youcat its a camping site in the uk i have just looked on there website anout canellations and its only talks about what happens if we cancel not them

Thye cancelled, not you, so you should get that money back.

The only way they could keep that money, I believe, is if the amount was in their T&Cs and exactly waht it is for. I believe they can only charge a fair admin fee, if applicable, so £40 would not be considered reasonable.

SnotMeReally Fri 22-Mar-13 20:10:49

so what did they actually SAY about how much they were/were not refunding, and what did you SAY back to them?

Just wondering if they have simply made an error in the amount refunded or if they gave a reason for with holding some money?

ChippingInIsEggceptional Fri 22-Mar-13 20:11:28

YANBU - you should phone them tomorrow and tell them if the refund, in full, is not in your account by Tuesday you will be contacting trading standards. Don't let them get away with it, twats.

YouTheCat Fri 22-Mar-13 20:12:11

I am merely playing devil's advocate.

Here is what it says on the CAB website:

As an independent traveller you’re not protected by special regulations. If your holiday company wants to cancel your booking you should check the terms and conditions of your contract. If your holiday company has to cancel your booking they should refund your deposit. If the cancellation is beyond their control they may be able to keep some money to cover their expenses.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Fri 22-Mar-13 20:14:13

It is not beyond their control - people could still camp there. It would make a mess and take some money & effort to put it straight, but it's a situation that is within their control.

zwischenzug Fri 22-Mar-13 20:32:22

They're taking the piss, of course you should get your money back.

If they really are entitled to keep your money, I might decide to start a holiday company, take a load of bookings and then cancel them all and keep some of the deposits for "expenses". Sounds like a licence to print money.

YouTheCat
If your holiday company wants to cancel your booking you should check the terms and conditions of your contract. If the cancellation is beyond their control they may be able to keep some money to cover their expenses.

1) CAncellations fees and any clauses relating to them cancelling should be in their T&Cs. Op has said the clauses in T&Cs only relate to the customer cancelling, not the operator.

2) £40 is beyond what I would consider reasonable to cover their expenses. After all, it's a field, what expenses apart from a little paperwork, phone call to OP, etc are they likely to have that costs £40?

YouTheCat Fri 22-Mar-13 21:23:27

I have no idea what expenses. But I was only pointing out the possibilities. It would be worth pulling them up on their T and Cs.

MadamePenguin Fri 22-Mar-13 22:44:11

YANBU. I had a holiday cancelled by the operator a few years ago. They offered other dates, but I couldn't make them. They offered places on their other sites at the dates I had originally booked. I didn't want to go to any of their other sites. They gave me a full refund.

They can't give you the holiday you booked, you shouldn't have to pay for it.

CandyCrushed Sat 23-Mar-13 00:49:50

I would want all of my money back. They are being really cheeky and greedy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now