to think shame on the Science Museum for agreeing to create products for boys only

(44 Posts)
slightlysoupstained Sun 17-Mar-13 22:31:05

www.johnlewis.com/search/john-lewis-science-museum-collection?_requestid=8082038#article-grid

Lovely idea, but making them ONLY for boys is beyond oblivious, and well into obnoxious territory.

gordyslovesheep Sun 17-Mar-13 22:33:13

they create loads of products for children - the PJ's can be worn by girls if you buy them for your girls - I dislike deliberate and labeled gender specific toys but I think you are reaching a little to be outraged

RustyBear Sun 17-Mar-13 22:35:04

Those pyjamas also come up if you search for girls' nightwear....

gordyslovesheep Sun 17-Mar-13 22:36:18

so they are unisex - well done science museum

exexpat Sun 17-Mar-13 22:37:32

DD would happily wear quite a few of those - and yes, they are also listed as girlswear.

I like the ones with the atomic structure trousers, do you thing they'd do them in grown-up size?

Growlithe Sun 17-Mar-13 22:38:40

Hmm, I think these Pjs are so geeky and ugly, I'd be surprised if either gender liked them. Perhaps this is why half of them are reduced?

HollyBerryBush Sun 17-Mar-13 22:39:50

Bucket of grips anyone?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 17-Mar-13 22:40:47

Are they only for boys?

If you search Only under Science Museum you get to them. John Lewis is responsible for putting them into their boyswear section, so I'd say they are more responsible, as well as the fact that all the girls pyjamas are pink or purple.

Euphemia Sun 17-Mar-13 22:42:17

Where does it say they're for boys only? confused They come up in the girls' nightwear collection too.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 17-Mar-13 22:42:31

Yes, just checked.theyndo come up if you type girls nightwear.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 17-Mar-13 22:44:40

I can't believe I just criticised JOhn Lewis. Sorry JOhn

Growlithe Sun 17-Mar-13 22:45:23

What's the beef here then? confused

slightlysoupstained Sun 17-Mar-13 22:45:29

Yes, the PJs can be worn by girls, who are lucky enough to have parents who actively go looking in the boys section of the store.

They might come up under girls' nightwear online (but are still clearly labelled as boys), but in the store you will not see them if you are looking for PJs for your little girl. Someone made a conscious choice that these should be labelled, shelved, and sold as boys' clothes. Pisses me off that having gone to the effort of thinking "what can we design that will be cool and appeal to kids" they have clearly failed to imagine that any of those little kids will be girls.

gordyslovesheep Sun 17-Mar-13 22:46:53

okay then ...

louisianablue2000 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:47:31

They are in the girls nightwear section and the child has a haircut that could be either male or female. I don't think they are exclusively marketing them to boys at all.

slightlysoupstained Sun 17-Mar-13 22:47:40

Realise I've confused issues slightly by linking to the online store, but in the physical store I saw they are actually displayed on the other side of a wall to the girls' PJs - you wouldn't even see them accidentally.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 17-Mar-13 22:47:59

It's john Lewis who categorise the clothes, not the science museum, surely?

It being the JL website and all that?

Kyrptonite Sun 17-Mar-13 22:48:14

There's really nothing else for you to get your knickers in a twist about?

It doesn't say they're for boys. Anywhere. You are the one who has seen the colours etc and decided they must be boys. They come up under search for girls as well

Euphemia Sun 17-Mar-13 22:50:08

I think you need to complain to the particular store.

Manchesterhistorygirl Sun 17-Mar-13 22:50:20

Have you actually been in a JL OP. or indeed most shops with children's clothes? Well they are often displayed in gender specific sections, boys and girls if you will. However I you are determined to be a right on parent or indeed have a child who likes pink or blue them you are quite free to go and actually look in that section!

Seriously there are bigger things to actually worry about.

louisianablue2000 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:51:56

Ah, if in the shops then I see your problem. Of course I am that mother that looks in the boys section for clothes for her girls and as science boffins DH and I would definitely buy a pair of these if we weren't already overrun with pyjamas bought by the grandmothers.

quornqueen Sun 17-Mar-13 22:52:50

I often think shame on Tesco/Sainsburys whilst I am picking the least unsuitable choosing a t-shirt for my son from the 5 or 6 options while oogling the rows and rows of girls clothes.

They are unisex. Same as leggings (which I buy for under jeans) which are always in the girls section.

Permanentlyexhausted Sun 17-Mar-13 22:54:22

Slightlysoupstained - how should they have made them more relevant for girls? By making them pink??

Growlithe Sun 17-Mar-13 22:57:01

Sorry for not being right on and everything, but I have a DD who is well into science, loves it at school, wants to be a scientist and develop life saving medicines when she grows up, watches anything sciencey on telly, loves science museums - you get the picture.

But she would not like these pjs. Why would she? I'm a computer programmer by trade but I wouldn't want a load of computer code on my pjs. My pjs don't define me, why should hers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now