To ask the lady at the supermarket checkout to stop 'throwing' my shopping at me?

(90 Posts)
Geekster Sat 16-Mar-13 14:01:29

While paying for my shopping the checkout lady was scanning it through far too fast and not giving me any chance to pack it. It wasn't even that busy, there was only one person in the que behind me. I politely asked her to slow down, sort of jokingly too saying i was a bit slow this morning, which she did while giving me a funny look. I didn't think I was being unreasonable it's not like I muttered under my breath or gave her a funny look.

Cremolafoam Sat 16-Mar-13 19:57:19

Yes they also do that in my local Asian supermarket. It's tremendously quick and efficient and they process loads of people per minute.

I tend to get shirty though when there are charity bag packers. blush I suddenly feel bullied and under pressure. And huffy about using my own bags. I don't like my vegetarian sausages in with my beef mince.
I get hoity and flustered. grin

MTSgroupie Sat 16-Mar-13 20:23:15

Brecon - I am invariably wearing something that has pockets. While I am waiting in the queue I transfer my plastic from my wallet to the pocket. On the rare occasions that I am pocketless I have the plastic out in front of me while I pack.

VenusRising Sat 16-Mar-13 20:29:16

Do you know this speed thing really pisses me off too!
Especially if I'm buying a lot of fruit and veg that I don't want in a bruised heap when I get home.

If they are going too fast now I ask them to replace anything that I think has been bruised: when they look up in shock I say, well you could go slower then, that's my shopping you're flinging around, I don't want it broken and bruised, and won't pay for it if its broken.

VenusRising Sat 16-Mar-13 20:30:44

Cremona, I always pack my own as well: I have a system, but I tell the charity packers to have a break and ill give you a pound NOT to pack for me!

VenusRising Sat 16-Mar-13 20:31:20

Sorry cremolafoam, spell checker!

Geekster Sat 16-Mar-13 21:13:46

The charity bag packers are a whole other thread. I started one ages ago! I must be obsessed with supermarkets! I used to work for the coop and unfortunately we weren't on any drugs man. Before it became a coop it was an Alldays I used to reduce everything to 5p at night because we only had to throw away what didn't sell. When it became a coop we couldn't do that as they had a policy of what and when to reduce things.

Feelingood Sat 16-Mar-13 21:17:26

Cowbags

GreenShadow Sat 16-Mar-13 21:48:15

As usual, this thread just goes to show that you just can't win.

Go fast and people complain.
Go slow and other people complain.

Help pack bags and people complain.
Don't help pack bags and people complain.

BreconBeBuggered Sat 16-Mar-13 22:01:07

MTS ah, I suspected as much. I don't have pockety clothes and I sneeze a lot so I'm forever whipping tissues out of my coat pockets at short notice. I've lost too many £ notes on travelling-light days to tuck my cash in there on a regular basis. But the sneezing does often get me a shorter queue.

member Sat 16-Mar-13 22:28:51

Morrisons seem to have a target to get 22 items through. A supervisor told a youngish checkout lad he was going too slowly in front of me the other week. I protested on his behalf & said as a customer, I appreciated him packing the first few items for e whilst I got all my stuff out of the trolley onto the belt. She replied that there was nothing to stop the checkout operators helping after they'd scanned the first 22 items & pressed sub- total [hmmm]

melbie Sat 16-Mar-13 22:55:13

I had forgotten all these traumas! In Australia you have to give them your bags and they pack for you. While you stand and feel a) very lazy and b)try to resist telling them how you actually want them packed...

I used to hate the really quick people. They make you feel under pressure to pack faster even when you are going as fast as physically possible. I liked wait rose because there tended to be older people who went a bit slower. I never used to say anything though just seethe inside and then rant at home grin

gallifrey Sun 17-Mar-13 16:41:30

just seen on the notice board that the scan speed is 19 items a minute at my asda.

zwischenzug Sun 17-Mar-13 16:51:14

you just have to do your end really, really slowly.
that pisses them off.

It really doesn't, the still get paid the same per hour and leave at the same time when their shift ends. You on the other hand are wasting your own personal free time at a supermarket checkout.

MerryCouthyMows Sun 17-Mar-13 22:45:52

Owl lady - if you think there is hemp being burnt in co-OP back rooms, avoid the Tesco Express stores...

I have absolutely no personal experience of this, oh no, never not even 10 years ago...

Shaky Sun 17-Mar-13 23:03:43

I also used to work at sainsburys in 1994.

If you didn't scan quickly enough, you wouldn't get your pay rise at your appraisal sad

Luckily, I now work for the NHS and my pay has been frozen for the last 2 years sad sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now