Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...to think gum chewing is vile?

(31 Posts)
OneHandFlapping Sat 16-Mar-13 13:34:43

You all look like cows chewing the cud. None of you keep your mouths shut - even if you think you are.

And you all make diusgsting little snaps and pops as you push the gum round and round.

I think there should be a death penalty, just for this.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 16-Mar-13 15:55:22

Gum is huge in America. It is so popular there because it was based on the (even more vile) habit of chewing tobacco. Chewing 'baccy was so common in the US that women's skirts were always splattered with the stuff and carpets were always ruined because men would just constantly spit in the general direction of the spittoons. There are still people who chew (actually, they dip snuff and put it between their cheek and gums.) It's horrid. So, gum is considered quite nice by comparison.

But, American sidewalks are plastered with the stuff, as are the undersides of tables and seats in restaurants. Horrible.

Tee2072 Sat 16-Mar-13 16:45:06

But people are talking about executing gum chewers, Sonia. That's fucking insane.

Not to mention? Illegal and immoral.

I don't know where you've been in America, katy, but you're wrong. I have never seen sidewalks or tables 'plastered' with the stuff. I think you are exaggerating for effect and to hammer your point home, rather than admit you are doing so.

In any case, bored now.

SoniaGluck Sat 16-Mar-13 16:55:12

But people are talking about executing gum chewers, Sonia. That's fucking insane.

Well, yes. That's going a bit too far, even for me. And I loathe gum chewing with a passion.

I have two dedicated gum chewing offspring and I find the stuff in all sorts of places. On used plates put for washing, at the bottom of coffee cups... angry.

Perhaps I should be campaigning against my disgusting children rather than gum chewers in general.

MoodyDidIt Sat 16-Mar-13 16:59:44

oh i LOVE chewing gum

and chew loads of the stuff

op would hate me

CruCru Sat 16-Mar-13 17:01:47

I used to have a phobia of gum and still try to avoid people when they are chewing it. I used to work with someone who would chew loudly in my ear when we were looking at the same computer screen. So unprofessional.

zwischenzug Sat 16-Mar-13 17:07:40

There's no way to chew gum without looking like a chav. This is sometimes useful if you're walking through a rough area and don't want to look like a target.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now