...to think gum chewing is vile?

(31 Posts)
OneHandFlapping Sat 16-Mar-13 13:34:43

You all look like cows chewing the cud. None of you keep your mouths shut - even if you think you are.

And you all make diusgsting little snaps and pops as you push the gum round and round.

I think there should be a death penalty, just for this.

SkinnybitchWannabe Sat 16-Mar-13 13:41:09

Gum chewing's fine when it's once in a while
It stops you from smoking
 and brightens your smile
But it's repulsive, revolting, and wrong
Chewing and chewing all day long
The way that a cow does....

So say The Oompa Loompas!

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 16-Mar-13 13:43:32

I chew gum, a lot.
So you've just sentenced me to death, OP?

Hey ho.

Yakshemash Sat 16-Mar-13 13:45:52

YABU. Chewing gum is great. It freshens your breath and keeps your mouth healthy by stimulating the flow of saliva. It can help with weight loss. It aids concentration and a meditative frame of mind. Clicking and popping gum pisses people off and is therefore funny.

It's only a problem if you spit it out on the pavement. Or get it stuck in your hair.

HollyBerryBush Sat 16-Mar-13 13:45:59

I like the Singaporean law on this, public flogging for chewing gum.

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 16-Mar-13 14:04:41

I chew gum occasionally, but I'm very consious of keeping my trap shut and I bin it when it loses the flavour...

But YANBU, some people sat on the bus on the opposite side to me, three or four seats back and all I can hear is the salvia filled piece of gum sloshing round their open gobs, snapping occasionally = angry, you just know it's the same people who spit it on the pavement. Its on the same level as the 'snot gobblers' who constantly hoik great masses of snot through their snouts and spit it out in great phlemy lumps on the pavement.

I could live with a ban, a drink of water and sugar free mint does the same job imo.

Magimedi Sat 16-Mar-13 14:09:02

YANBU

There is a circle of hell reserved for chewers of gum.

oldraver Sat 16-Mar-13 14:16:23

Chewing gum is ok so long as you dispose of it properly, preferably wapping it. Dont chew it like a cow chewing cud, mouth shut at all times. Chew while you're talking to someone

Meglet Sat 16-Mar-13 14:22:38

Yabu. 10 mins of gum after a meal keeps your teeth and mouth clean. I just chew it and once the minty-ness has gone I bin it.

Maat Sat 16-Mar-13 14:23:38

Leave cows alone.

They are great.

Lottashakingoinon Sat 16-Mar-13 14:28:05

Oh yes!!!! I saw Jimmy Carr in Cheltenham last year and he invited a couple of the audience on stage to act out a little sit com (in itself an appalling idea, but the rest of the show was good) and one of them was chewing continuously in the manner you describe 'Flapping'. Made me feel ill. And she claimed to be a teacher...hope she doesn't do it in class.

Raver clearly you have got it right, good on ya; trouble is, so many people haven't!

I don't like the way it looks or the way it sounds. Seeing someone chewing gum makes me feel sick. Mastication is better off done in private.

toomuch2young Sat 16-Mar-13 14:31:13

YABVU
Gum chewing is good for teach, freshens breath, aids concentration.
As long as it is disposed of correctly it causes no harm!

Lottashakingoinon Sat 16-Mar-13 14:32:53

Sorry I meant Meglet had got it right, but Raver I agree with you too.

Snugglepiggy Sat 16-Mar-13 14:36:30

There's a world of difference between chewing it discretely and disposing it in a bin and not gum chewing when having a conversation compared to chewing loudly, messily and throwing it on the floor - which I as a the former type of gum chewer hate.
I have recently had real problems with receding gums and sensitive teeth and my dentist said one of the best things I could do was chew sugar free gum several times a day to keep healthy saliva flow and clean my mouth.So I do.Quietly whilst driving to and from appointments for work.Never in a social situation.Could I be spared the death penalty please?

countrykitten Sat 16-Mar-13 14:38:38

It's completely disgusting.

Coconutty Sat 16-Mar-13 14:39:56

I love chewing gum and as a bonus, my teeth are all shiny and white and in perfect health.

I am refusing to accept the death penalty and am going to start a revolution to make chewing gum compulsory, would save the NHS a fortune in dentistry.

Lottashakingoinon Sat 16-Mar-13 14:43:15

Fair enuff Coconutty but would you accept a sub clause that forbids it on stage (see my earlier post!) grin

HerrenaHarridan Sat 16-Mar-13 14:57:27

I saw an 18 mo chewing gum the other day.
Yanbu!

Coconutty Sat 16-Mar-13 15:07:40

Yep, subclause accepted lotta and also added one that says it's illegal to make it snap or pop.

fluffiphlox Sat 16-Mar-13 15:28:39

It's revolting.

Areyoumadorisitme Sat 16-Mar-13 15:32:26

YANBU I hate seeing people chewing gum. It just looks unpleasant.

Tee2072 Sat 16-Mar-13 15:42:11

Then don't chew any.

Problem solved.

Oh wait, you think my chewing gum is your business? Oh sorry. I thought I had personal freedom. Apparently not in your world.

It's not illegal. It's not immoral.

So leave me alone and let me chew.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 16-Mar-13 15:44:03

It's minging to be in the vicinity of a chewer. Like nose picking and masturbating it is something that should be undertaken in privacy.

SoniaGluck Sat 16-Mar-13 15:53:45

No one's stopping you from chewing, Tee but my personal freedom allows me to say that I find it disgusting.

I think you'll find that an expression of personal preference is not illegal or immoral, either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now