Using antibiotics out of my cupboard

(71 Posts)
appletarts Sat 16-Mar-13 08:43:43

I've got antibiotics left over from mastitis in my cupboard and I just know I've got tonsillitis starting. I know doc won't prescribe because I'm not yet on my knees but I've had it before and know where this is heading. I have 2 small children and absolutely no support if I am ill except hubby who will be back at work. The antibiotics are also prescribed for tonsillitis, do I take them?????

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 16-Mar-13 09:20:22

<speechless>

Shakirasma Sat 16-Mar-13 09:22:19

Very small squeak- after all the posts explaining why taking antiBs properly is so important I can't believe you posted that. That has got to be one of the most stupid admissions in the face of fact I have seen on here.

So bugger all the Ill and infirm who die every year of c diff, mrsa and the like, cos you know better than your doctors and your perceived comfort and childcare issues are faaaaar more important!

VerySmallSqueak Sat 16-Mar-13 09:22:29

Without wishing to be too rude,I have already stated that I know I am in the wrong.

But taking a few old antibiotics once in several years ( who realistically has spare anti b's lying around on a regular basis?) for a genuine health reason,is not me,singlehandedly ensuring that the future's children are dying from lack of effective anti b's.

I'm am sure there's a lot more frivolous use on a far larger scale out there that could be targetted. Rather than targetting women on the bottom end of the pay scale who haven't got the luxury of sitting at home waiting a chest infection out when the have a course of antibiotics originally prescribed for a chest infection in the cupboard.

Not so long ago (don't know if it's changed now ) you could buy anti b's over the counter in other countries.

Buzzardbird Sat 16-Mar-13 09:23:07

Pretty sure it was explained to me as a child why it is important to finish a course of abs.
maybe the problem is that at least half the population (going by this thread) seem to have no idea about resistance?

mungojerrie Sat 16-Mar-13 09:26:04

I have a course of anti biotics unopened that I was prescribed for mastitis but told to use as a last resort. I managed without and so still have these. Absolutely I would use them if I had a reoccurrence of mastitis and I do not see how this is a problem or issue.

DesperatelyChasingBloodyDog Sat 16-Mar-13 09:26:14

the whole point, Squeak is that you're not supposed to have spare ABs at all.
You must - and I never usually use that word - finish the course, so you cannot have any just rattling round your cupboards.

Sirzy Sat 16-Mar-13 09:26:25

But if you have a course of antibiotics in your cupboard its not a full course so therefore on at least 2 occasions you are only take a part course which isn't going to help anything in the long run.

And you can't expect GPs to prescribe antibiotics when they aren't needed just to keep people happy/at work or whatever. They should only be prescribed when there is a medical need to do so.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 16-Mar-13 09:26:31

Shakiasma I find your post re:perceived comfort quite patronising btw.

I am not stupid,I am honest.

Buzzardbird Sat 16-Mar-13 09:26:44

Oh, I beg your pardon, you do know, you just don't care. As you were.

cozietoesie Sat 16-Mar-13 09:28:03

Read and weep think.

antibiotic resistance

VerySmallSqueak Sat 16-Mar-13 09:28:40

On the occasion that I have done it,it has on the whole been course prescribed to dh that he hasn't used at all. For chest infections.
I know what type and dose to take.

Shakirasma Sat 16-Mar-13 09:29:07

Mungo- taking a full course of antiBs for the same condition that they were prescribed for is different to taking a random number of leftovers for something that may be viral, or a different condition all together.

oh my <speechless>

RooneyMara Sat 16-Mar-13 09:30:56

I have occasionally been prescribed antibiotics, not felt the need to start the course and therefore had a full course lying about, still in date, in the cupobard.

Mostly I just don't go and get the prescription now if I think it's unnecessary, and sometimes I'm given a script just in case something gets worse. And don't need it.

So if that were the case and I had a full course unstarted, and it was the correct one for the illness afaik, I'd probably ring up the Dr and ASK if they thought it would be a good idea to take them, and then if they said so, yes, take them.

I had an ex who was so incredibly stupid that when he got the same virus we had all had in the past week, he panicked, someone gave him some old amoxycillin and he took it - for nothing - and swore it 'sorted him out' hmm

He was such a dickhead. Stupid people always seem to think they're really clever don't they.

I went through a stage of frequent water infections leading to kidney infections. Consultant at hospital gave me a pack of antibiotics and told me to take 1 at the first sign to nip it in the bud. If ok next day no need to take another one. I know its not exactly the same and I'll be flamed but I would take them.

HerrenaHarridan Sat 16-Mar-13 09:37:07

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR FUCK SAKE!

ALWAYS FINISH THE COURSE!

ALWAYS!

What has to happen before people take this seriously?

Millions of people's lives, in the no to first any future, depend on you FINISHING THE BLOODY COURSE!

cozietoesie Sat 16-Mar-13 09:39:00

Anyone got a 'banging your head against a brick wall' emoticon?

appletarts Sat 16-Mar-13 09:39:48

I really didn't understand how they work until post above, don't understand why doc doesn't explain that and I'm not dim, several degrees etc, not medical ha ha. But still, I can't wait it out and drink lemon tea and stay in bed, who will look after kids!

toobreathless Sat 16-Mar-13 09:39:55

squeak think you are getting a very hard time here.

Yes it is likely to be viral in origin & antibiotics won't work but you know this and are still clearly concerned. Sometimes we DO appropriately give antibiotics for a throat infection- see CENTOR criteria if you're interested.

I would be very happy to discuss this sort of thing over the phone in GP OOH, so one option is to give them a ring and a Dr will ring you back. Or you could sit tight and give it 24 hrs and see how things are tomorrow.

There is also increasing evidence that this 'finishing the course' mantra is nonsense and actually does not lead to increasing resistance although inappropriate prescribing in the first place clearly does.

For those who would like to get their facts straight before blasting the poorly OP NICE have excellent guidelines here www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG69FullGuideline.pdf

OP hope you feel better soon

HerrenaHarridan Sat 16-Mar-13 09:41:50

Gah! Not too distant!

appletarts Sat 16-Mar-13 09:44:04

Uhm... not on bottom end of pay scale either..

DesperatelyChasingBloodyDog Sat 16-Mar-13 09:45:11

Well, Toobreathless, seeing as OP will be self-prescribing it's hard to see how she will be taking the ABs appropriately.

noblegiraffe Sat 16-Mar-13 09:47:46

Tonsillitis usually clears up in 3-4 days with or without antibiotics.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 16-Mar-13 09:48:06

Thank you toothbreathless.

Lueji Sat 16-Mar-13 09:48:29

Stay off the antibiotics, unless the gp prescribes them!!!
And take the FULL course, FGS!!!

Now, for tonsillitis, have a few sips of a strong drink and honey.

If it gets really bad and lasts the weekend, go to the gp..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now