Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask ladies who are in their forties...

(34 Posts)
Internationaltraveller Sat 16-Mar-13 02:04:47

if it really is the best time of your life? yes, celebrities can drone on all they like about it, but I want to hear the truth. So, opinions please!

EmmelineGoulden Sat 16-Mar-13 10:32:01

I remeber in my 30s standing around the photocopier at work pretending to try and fix it whilst eavesdropping on a bunch of older women who were all saying how great it was to be in their 50s. They were at a range of levels career wise from a (very competent) receptionsit to the CFO.

So I'm going to give it another decade before I decide I'm on the way downhill.

whosiwhatsit Sat 16-Mar-13 10:53:33

I'm 40 and dye my hair - have since I was 15 as my mousy natural colour doesn't suit me. But now I've had a couple of snide comments from other women about why am I covering my grey. Strange.

I'm happy in life but that's because I have a loving family and a career I enjoy, nothing to do with my age. Also I'm not particularly attractive anymore which I consider an advantage. Fewer skeevy blokes hitting on me and it seems to make it easier to make female friends also.

Nancy66 Sat 16-Mar-13 10:57:10

Emotionally, yes. I feel happy, content and give less of a fuck what anyone thinks.

Physically, no. I feel tired all the time, I have less energy, even though i am fit and eat well my body aches, i'm prone to weight gain and my periods have become a nightmare.

CabbageLeaves Sat 16-Mar-13 11:05:36

Did my first half marathon, triathlon, cycling time trial after 40. It's terrible getting old.

Bunbaker Sat 16-Mar-13 11:06:38

I don't think you physically feel any different when you suddenly become 40, especially if you are in good health. My life changed dramatically at 41 when DD was born.

I would say that I am more self assured, don't worry about what other people think and am more content with my life. Yes, I cover up the grey in my hair because I don't want other people thinking I am DD's grandmother. (My mum was 40 when I was born and she didn't take care of herself and strangers always assumed she was my grandmother and I used to feel so hurt about it). We are financially more secure - mortgage has been paid off, but now have ageing relatives to worry about.

Physically I am pretty much the same as I always have been.

I am 54 BTW.

CabbageLeaves Sat 16-Mar-13 11:07:53

The menopause is ace. No periods. HRT rocks. All the hormones. None of the shite. I sleep at night without little children waking me up.

The bad stuff: elderly parents to care for and I think I may be getting laughter lines...

VerySmallSqueak Sat 16-Mar-13 11:11:00

I'd rather be in my 20's again.

anotheryearolder Sat 16-Mar-13 11:16:14

"girls" hmm

BalloonSlayer Sat 16-Mar-13 11:23:22

I remember dreading 40 and my sister said that she had liked it because she enjoyed the feeling of being at the young end of the age-decade, rather than at the old end. eg 40 felt like being the new girl in the Fortysomethings club, whereas 39 felt like being the old battleaxe of the Thirstysomethings club. And, probably because she told me that I felt the same, and I am looking forward to being the new girl in the Fiftysomethings club in a couple of years time.

In my twenties I thought I was grown up but my emotions, judgement and experience were little better than when I was a teenager.

In my thirties I felt more grown up, having experienced a bit of trauma/heartbreak but TBH the first half of the decade was lost to worrying about whether I would be able to have a baby or not and the second half was lost in a fog of pregnancies, babies, anxiety and wiping up excrement.

In my forties I feel I understand myself more, have come through the upheaval of having small children, enjoy my job, love my husband, consider myself incredibly lucky. The downside is that I look so old - how did that happen? shock When I was 20 I used to sneer at celebs who had plastic surgery - why can't they just grow old gracefully???? - but now I think "ooh I'd LOVE a facelift." grin And my libido, well dunno where that is, I think it might be hiding in the cupboard under the stairs. The "revving up" of the early 40s never seemed to happen for me. Or perhaps it did, briefly, which is why I had another baby at 43 and that dampened it all down again. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now