To want people to SHUT UP in the quiet carriage?

(61 Posts)
FallingOver Mon 11-Mar-13 20:58:08

Late night train, almost deserted. Handful of people in the quiet carriage. Silence apart from two people who are chatting at the top of their voices, especially the young woman of the couple, who has regaled the carriage with how drunk she is right now, her 17st friend, what she's studying at Uni, her future career plans - all punctuated by the most asinine and penetrating laugh I have ever heard.

WIBU to go over and tell them to be quiet or else move their v loud conversation to a non-quiet carriage?

Mumsnet jury - you decide.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 11-Mar-13 20:59:53

I'd find it annoying but I don't really think you can tell them to be quiet. Unless there's a sign on the carriage saying 'quiet carriage, please go elsewhere to talk' wink

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 11-Mar-13 21:00:42

YANBU, I have done as well.

FallingOver Mon 11-Mar-13 21:02:46

There's a sign saying 'Quiet Carriage - please be considerate of other passengers.' Does that count?

ceeveebee Mon 11-Mar-13 21:04:05

I've always thought it was just mobile phones and iPods etc that were banned in the quiet carriages, not just talking?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Mon 11-Mar-13 21:04:16

In fairness the usual announcement about the quiet carriage asks passengers to "keep conversation to a minimum". I would and have gone over to loud talkers and said "Hi, just to let you know that this is the quiet carriage". IME they either shut up or move.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 11-Mar-13 21:06:21

Yanbu. Definitely worth pointing out its the quiet carriage. They may not realise.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 11-Mar-13 21:06:41

It's

GetOrf Mon 11-Mar-13 21:06:50

It should be called the SILENCE carriage grin

Yes it's annoying, but I wouldn't say anything to anyone since I got told quite nastily to fuck off when I asked someone to turn his stereo down on the train (also in quiet carriage).

zoobaby Mon 11-Mar-13 21:07:15

I bet there IS a sign saying quiet carriage. I bet they don't care.

Loud people in the quiet carriage is the number one cause of my own personal train rage. I'm actually feeling very put out on your behalf!

You'd be far braver than me if you do say something. You're likely to cop a mouthful of obscenities and an escalation of annoyance for your trouble. Bloody ticket inspectors won't even say anything alas.

JambalayaCodfishPie Mon 11-Mar-13 21:08:27

Ywnbu at all. I travel in the quiet carriage as a treat. grin

zoobaby Mon 11-Mar-13 21:11:47

x-post re existence of sign.

The ones I've seen are usually a head turned to the side with lines emanating from the mouth (which I'm guessing indicates talking).

frazzledbutcalm Mon 11-Mar-13 21:13:04

If it's an allocated quiet carriage then I'd definitely, politely, tell them.

Southeastdweller Mon 11-Mar-13 21:16:09

Oh I can't bloody stand it. Yes you should tell them to shut up lower their voices. I do it often.

Cretins.

FallingOver Mon 11-Mar-13 21:18:30

I have very sweetly, passive-aggressively gone over and whispered 'Excuse me, would you mind keeping your voices down a little - this is the quiet carriage?'

They are now whispering. grin

It's the small victories in life!

SwedishEdith Mon 11-Mar-13 21:18:47

There should be a device in these carriages where you can direct a swift electric shock to the talker's seat. I know I wouldn't say anything but just seethe for the rest of the journey.

SwedishEdith Mon 11-Mar-13 21:19:22

Oh, well done!

BlackMaryJanes Mon 11-Mar-13 21:33:35

So OP, how did they respond?

FallingOver Mon 11-Mar-13 21:43:38

Not a peep out of them now. Total silence. I might have come across as more scary than I intended....

wildfig Mon 11-Mar-13 21:44:32

swedishedith after you with the zapper.

Yanbu. I'd pay an extra supplement to sit in an additional carriage attached after the Quiet Carriage, designated the Total Silence Carriage.

MechanicalTheatre Mon 11-Mar-13 21:45:52

Well done OP! You are my hero. I love the quiet carriage and it is too often sullied by the non-quiet.

Why can't the quiet amongst us just occasionally get what we want?

BertieBotts Mon 11-Mar-13 21:50:33

I hate the quiet carriage. I avoid it at all costs. I hate it when I'm in a rush and get onto it by mistake or there are no seats left anywhere else. I play my phone games on silent anyway but everyone glares so much at you for it.

Maryz Mon 11-Mar-13 21:54:18

I heard someone on a radio chat show during the week (yes I know, a chat show [sigh]) saying that their work canteen had a silent table.

So you could sit there and no-one could talk to you.

I was wondering whether that might be workable in my house - a place I could sit that no-one was allowed to talk to me grin

FallingOver Mon 11-Mar-13 22:01:07

bertiebotts how can you hate the silent carriage? What's to hate? Consideration and respect for fellow passengers and not subjecting them to your conversations, music, etc? confused

I was once in a train going from one end of the country to the other. Shortly after the start of the journey, a young man got on, put in his headphones and switched his iPod on. Cue very tinny, electronic dance music, so loud that half the carriage could hear. So loud is was comical. People kept catching each others' eyes and grinning helplessly until the person opposite the youngster burst out laughing at the awfulness of the music he was inflicting on his fellow passengers and said 'Sorry mate - there's no way I can listen to that for the next five hours. You're going to have to turn it off.' I cheered!

zoobaby Mon 11-Mar-13 22:01:32

Three cheers for fallingover.

Do it maryz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now