Just because DH is a SAHD...

(41 Posts)
LoopDeLoops Sun 10-Mar-13 10:30:57

... does not mean he 'gets' Mothering Sunday instead of me, right? PIL disagree... hmm

ZenNudist Sun 10-Mar-13 11:37:11

Wow that's a slap in the face. Just because an old lady came up with it does not absolve your ILs for repeating it.

What did you reply?

noodleone Sun 10-Mar-13 11:42:43

Ha ha ... no. That's really odd. Yanbu

LoopDeLoops Sun 10-Mar-13 11:44:47

My reply "yeah right, whatever..."

HappyJustToBe Sun 10-Mar-13 11:49:49

YANBU. Insulting to you and your DH.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 10-Mar-13 11:51:53

My MIL does not do Fathers' Day, as it is a new fangled invention. She would be hmm for Mothers' Day to be ignored/actually all about churches. She also has very strong feelings about parental roles. She would probably say something like this were DH a SAHD - but he wouldn't be coming out of it any better than I.

Change the subject, move on...

dondon33 Sun 10-Mar-13 12:24:40

Unless it was said completely in jest confused
then it was a cheap dig by Grandmama angry, smile nicely while quietly muttering FU! and forget about it.

maddening Sun 10-Mar-13 14:20:59

Unless you get father's day? But if you get a day each anyway it makes sense for you to have mothers day and he fathers?

Goldmandra Sun 10-Mar-13 14:23:23

So if both of your worked full time should the children make hand made cards and breakfast in bed for their childminders/nursery staff?

Lucyellensmum95 Sun 10-Mar-13 14:30:59

Is grandma a bit senile?

YANBU, she's being strange.

Just as an aside, can we stop the nonsense about the 'origins of mothering sunday' being to do with servants visiting their mother church? It isn't.

The Christian origins of Mothering Sunday are to do with the Church of England taking over a Catholic festival in honour of the Mother of Christ. Prior to that, I should imagine that the Catholics may well have taken over a pagan festival in honour of a mother goddess, who knows?

(Sorry, that was unnecessarily rudely put!)

Goldmandra Sun 10-Mar-13 14:47:20

LRD I think you should start a new thread explaining the origins of the day. There seems to be a lot of people who think that Hallmark invented it rather than hijacked it smile

Or I should stop being a pedant, I know.

Does Hallmark even exist in the UK? I've no idea.

Goldmandra Sun 10-Mar-13 15:07:23

It used to but come think of it I haven't seen one of there shops for a long time so maybe not now.

Don't stop being a pedant please smile

hermioneweasley Sun 10-Mar-13 15:14:21

Hallmark does exist in the UK - they are based in a beautiful building in Bradford.

Goldmandra Sun 10-Mar-13 15:20:15

I stand corrected smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now