to think British tourists should just damn well behave themselves in other people's countries?

(82 Posts)
NulliusInBlurba Fri 08-Mar-13 08:29:32

I live in Berlin and have done so for over twenty years now. Over that period the tourism industry has grown exponentially, and the city has benefited from that enormously. I've benefited too from the proliferation in cheap EasyJet flights. Most of the British tourists are great - interested in the cultural history, eating a sausage and drinking a beer or two, then maybe a techno club afterwards. But a handful beggar belief, and they are giving all the Brits an appalling reputation here too. Just for the record: this is the capital of the largest country in the EU, it's not a Greek seaside resort. (Not that Greek seaside resorts should have to put up with this crap either, but they seem a lot more economically dependent on this kind of 'guest').

This is the story, my (very rough) translation below:

"There are reports that 30 tourists went on the rampage in a Friedrichshain [a district of Berlin] hotel on Thursday afternoon. The group has now been banned from the hotel on the grounds of causing malicious damage and breach of the peace.

Employees at a Friedrichshain hotel on Warschauer Platz called police late on Thursday afternoon, because a number of hotel guests were gong wild in their rooms. A police spokesperson said that officers indeed found 30 British tourists on the rampage, some of whom were extremely drunk.

According to a hotel spokesperson the British people, who were between 30 and 40 years old, damaged beds as well as furnishings and fittings in the corridor. The identities of the tourists were recorded with the authorities and then they were banned from the hotel. On Friday morning the police spokesperson was unable to say where the group was now staying or even if they were still in Berlin."

Shame on you, whoever it was! Now fuck off, we don't need your kind here. It's bad enough when you do this kind of thing in Blackpool, but at least you're staying in your own country. Jesus, these weren't even teenagers! Imagine the British outrage if a large group of German tourists wrecked a British hotel!

I think British family tourists have a much better reputation though.

My ILs have a bungalow at a French campsite, the owners there actively try to get British families instead of French because they think they're so polite, whereas the French are always complaining about something or other...

fedupofnamechanging Fri 08-Mar-13 09:47:04

A couple of weeks ago a pub containing British football fans was attacked by thugs in Lyon - it is not only the Brits who are capable of bad behaviour.

There is plenty of crime committed in the UK, by people who are not British.

And, of course, the Germans have a sterling reputation for their behaviour in other people's countries...

WorraLiberty Fri 08-Mar-13 09:49:14

Less the same could no doubt be said at some time about any country including Germany.

You found incredibly tolerant Germans...you could just as easily have been in a different part of Germany and found incredibly intolerant Germans.

My point about threads like this, is that we could all pick up on appalling behaviour from foreigners and start moaning about it...but it normally causes the mother of all bun fights for obvious reasons.

Nigerian scammers?

Neo-Nazi German thugs?

Football hooligans (pick a country)

Eastern European pick pockets?

The list is endless and only a handful of people from those countries spoil it for the rest, so what's the point really?

ZZZenAgain Fri 08-Mar-13 09:51:53

I do find it a bit odd for 30-40 year olds to act like that but younger people from many countries go on holiday and fully intend to get absolutely plastered, if possible even before they reach their hotel. Ask the Spanish, they know all about it. Germans not just the under 25s have certain parts of Spain down as watering holes. It is all about getting drunk as a skunk because it is their idea of a good time (Ballerman etc).

It is not the usual behaviour of Germans travelling with dc IME but it isn't the usual behaviour of Brits travelling with dc either.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 08-Mar-13 09:58:50

I think your thread title probably makes the red mist descend long before people get to the bit where you say "Most of the British tourists are great.."

All countries have their good and bad citizens, all have travellers who put the to shame.

AmberLeaf Fri 08-Mar-13 10:03:38

YABU for your thread title alone. You then say its not all of them, why write that title then?

I think anyone that judges a whole nation/group of people based on the actions of a few is a bit thick anyway, so if that's what germans think of 'brits' then <shrug>

Im quite sure though, that not all germans are so stupid as to think every brit is like those drunk louts.

...and what Worraliberty said.

nonameslefttouse Fri 08-Mar-13 10:06:03

My husband and I were planning a trip to Berlin, think we may have a think about that!

We have travelled quite a lot and whilst pockets of British tourists are completely appalling, the same can be said of any nationality, a trip to Turkey recently it was the Dutch causing the problems.

I also think if as a resort you are targeting young binge drinking tourists you get what you ask for resorts such as Magaluf, who's at fault there and it's certainly not just the Brits!

I deal with tourism on a daily basis and I can honestly say out of Europe give me the Dutch and Polish visitors any day over the French, Italians and Portuguese, of course this is only based on the numbers we deal with!

wonkylegs Fri 08-Mar-13 10:17:01

A relative of ours has a ski chalet company in a very nice resort and they say that their major problem is with moneyed Russians. The stories i've heard about them are truly horrible. Our honeymoon was spoilt by drunk lecherous Greeks and my cousin who is a terror abroad & at home is South African.
There are twits in pretty much every nationality. We notice the stories about the Brits behaving badly because we are British and they get reported back to us.
I do wish that idiots would behave themselves but you must remember that bad news is always more newsworthy and travels faster than good news.

Loubychew Fri 08-Mar-13 10:20:05

I live in Cyprus and used to be a rep. I could tell you things about Brit tourists that would make your hair stand on end. Sometimes I have been embarrassed to be British. My husband, who is also connected to the travel industry tells people that he is Irish (partly true).

atthewelles Fri 08-Mar-13 10:25:39

I'm Irish and Irish people can behave like arrogant ignoramuses when they're abroad as well. It tends though to be mainly younger Irish who act like this - getting seriously drunk, trashing apartments, partying late into the night and keeping people awake. Its sad as up until fairly recently we had a great reputation abroad but a younger generation who grew up in more affluent circumstances are now ruining all that.
The only time I've really heard people here complaining about British tourists is when gangs of Brits used to come over to Dublin for stag and hen parties. But that seems to have died out now.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 08-Mar-13 10:33:57

I'd agree that British families travelling do have a good reputation in France IME as being good gite tenants and campsite users etc.

grovel Fri 08-Mar-13 10:37:24

Well, my observation is that around the Med there seems now to be almost universal loathing of the Russians.

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Fri 08-Mar-13 10:37:33

The idiots in the OP have brought shame on their home country for acting like a gang of hooligans but then idiots come from everywhere. Its not exclusively British tourists.

Manchesterhistorygirl Fri 08-Mar-13 10:47:24

I spent many years in travel too and yes the annoying out in the lash Brits were bad, but compared to moneyed Russians they look like angels.

Obviously the people described in the OP were BU, but to assume you can stereotype an entire nation based on the behaviour of one small group is xenophobic bigoted crap.

I live in a pretty tourist-y town in the UK, and I can promise you that no single nationality shows up as 'the awful tourist people', but you do come across examples of idiots being idiots, because that happens everywhere.

German tourists got invited into the block where my mate was junior dean and were sick in the showers because they'd been drinking too much, then punched someone when they were asked to leave.

But I'm sure I could find negative examples of all cultures and countries. I was really fucking fed up with the Swedish students who took over the Eagle and Child the other week, decided to shout at top volume all evening and spill beer everywhere while intimidating the children who'd come in with their parents on account of what it was 6pm and is a family pub that does meals. I do not imagine they are representative and my Swedish friend would have been just as angry with their behaviour as me, if not more so.

I'm think it's to do with the fact that some people go on holiday and think it's ok to behave nastily. Those people are wankers, and it is nothing to do with nationality.

BeeBopDingALing Fri 08-Mar-13 11:01:27

YANBU. We live in Spain in a big city and when you got down to the centre in the summer you can tell who the Brits are. Loud, drunk, brash and in polyester footy shirts, you can spot them a mile off, when you get closer and you hear the British accents I am very embarrassed. The Spanish have a dim view of these tourists and I don't blamew them.

Thumbwitch Fri 08-Mar-13 11:02:13

atthewelles - I think it died out because it became hard to book - a lot of places refused to take large-ish bookings of single sex groups, I certainly found this when I was trying to organise a hen do there some years ago. Had to be very cunning about it - but in the end the hen do didn't happen so it didn't matter.

Thumbwitch Fri 08-Mar-13 11:05:41

LRD, if it's the town I'm thinking of, then it used to be over-run in the summer holidays with large groups of European teens, who didn't exactly cover their respective countries in glory either. But admittedly, they were teens - not adults.
I remember Portuguese and German ones causing havoc on the buses and refusing to queue for anything...

I think it's probably the same in any tourist town. Teenagers anywhere will be badly behaved.

I do think quite a lot of adults don't cover themselves in glory either, though. It's being on holiday.

VodkaJelly Fri 08-Mar-13 11:45:21

Many years ago i was at a festival in France. Sat outside one of the pubs there was a group of Germans lads getting drunk and loud, eventually they got so bad and many glasses smashed that the police were called.

When the police arrived they all started to speak English, so of course word got round the festival that the english were being hooligans again and being arrested. It was even on the local news that the English louts were at it again.

ExpatWifey Fri 08-Mar-13 11:52:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wallison Fri 08-Mar-13 11:56:34

There are booze tourists in every nationality. Ask anyone in St Petersburg what they think of the Norwegians who go there solely for the cheap beer. Or get an opinion on Aussies and Kiwis from the good folk in Acton who have to step around vomit on the way to work in the morning, having been kept up half the night by the crowd next-door sleeping 5 to a room with a set of noisy decks. It doesn't mean that people from an entire nation behaves like that; there are arseholes everywhere.

MechanicalTheatre Fri 08-Mar-13 12:04:53

Having worked with foreign students for years, it is, without a doubt, the Brits who have the worst reputation abroad. I would imagine our drinking culture has a lot to do with it - pack as much in as you possibly can in as short a time as you can. There are very few Europeans I've met who drink in a similar way.

I have never met a European student who didn't have the impression that a lot of British people are drunken, disrespectful knobs.

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 08-Mar-13 12:08:29

Despite the fact that far more Italians and Germans die from drink related diseases.....

MechanicalTheatre Fri 08-Mar-13 12:11:15

That doesn't mean they drink in the same way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now