to be fed up of people not checking the truth of warnings before they share them?

(119 Posts)
gremlindolphin Wed 06-Mar-13 10:08:27

There are some brilliant sites like hoax-slayer, snopes etc but friends keep on sharing rubbish links on facebook and by email which I think are just designed to scare people. It also detracts from the real things which it can be beneficial to share.

I just commented to one friend that her link was a hoax and she said that she thought it was better to share it anyway in case it did happen!

SkiBunnnnny Sat 09-Mar-13 15:58:10

I know, Show. My first clue in the onion link was the "quaint essential picnic"

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 09-Mar-13 21:59:59

As far as I am aware there is done semblance of truth behind the European emergency services one

During my first aid training the paramedic taking the course advised calling theceuropean number rather than 999 due to the way calls are routed and traced. 999 could be routed to a csll centre miles away if you are calling on a mobile vrhecwurooean number is able to track where you are calling g from so sometimes they can get to you sooner.

musicposy Sat 09-Mar-13 23:38:15

I quite upset DBro because I wrote quite a stern message to SIL to stop posting such crap. She reposts all those horrific rape and violence stories most of which, if you check, have no foundation in truth. She can't see that sharing serves no purpose except to give my 13yo nightmares. I said I would make DD defriend her if she kept posting such crap. All those 100000 likes and this ill child will get an op rubbish too. Do some people have no brain?

I link regularly to Facecrooks and constantly implore people to receive their posts so they can see for themselves just how much of this stuff is utter rubbish. But still the same few keep on sharing. YANBU

KenAdams Sun 10-Mar-13 00:38:25

What's the passport one?

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 10-Mar-13 01:19:27

Pictures the police number one is utter bollocks it uses exactly the same lines ect as 999 does there is apsolutly no difference so he was talking rubbish.

stifnstav Sun 10-Mar-13 01:27:06

There's one floating about on mIne with a warning about a van with a certain number plate that belongs to a child snatcher. Resisting the urge to ask why the police don't just go and arrest the registered owner if they have the REG?

Because of Political Correctness Gone Mad, presumably, stifnstav.

NeverWinsMNComps Sun 10-Mar-13 07:36:58

WIBU to have my tombstone engraved with "Only managed 39,998 likes" ?

ifherbumwereabungalow Sun 10-Mar-13 07:45:06

neverwins - thank you, your post just made me properly laugh this morning. Genius idea, which I may need to borrow...

EMUZ Sun 10-Mar-13 07:46:48

The 999/112 one is rubbish. If you ring on a mobile you can only be traced to the nearest mast unless its a contract phone where phone company can be contacted for home address
The operator will connect to the most local area, you can also ask for a particular area if say you are in Devon and you need an ambulance for Scotland

EMUZ Sun 10-Mar-13 07:49:25

And if you are routed to a centre miles away it doesn't matter. We all have maps, the call gets passed to the local service, doesn't cause any delay. People keep sharing this on my Facebook an despite me being "it's my JOB, it's not true" they still insist it's right confused

Mimishimi Sun 10-Mar-13 08:00:14

My dad used to forward me all the anti-Muslim ones which were being circulated by members of his church until ...

I started hitting the 'reply all' button and refuting each mail point by point. Then adding links to Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth, Loose Change etc.

Nearly all of the people who have come up with these mails are profiting in some way from the GWOT (eg military contractors etc). I grew up with these sort of people and they always need an enemy to blame for their problems, it's sad.

hoobledooble I love your approach. I want you to be my FB friend smile

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 10-Mar-13 08:16:17

The passport one is a "letter sent to the passport office" which is a rant about the documents and questions needed to renew a passport ending with and mi ID Has to be verified by my doctor who was born and raised in Pakistan

Except nine if those documents have to be produced for renewals. And only trusted members if the community WITH A BRITISH PASSORT can countersign.

Highlander Sun 10-Mar-13 08:25:51

My BIL repeatedly posts stuff like the current passport post.

What do I do? I comment that it's ravist claptrap. Would this sort of stuff be debunked on hoaxslayer?

MrsDeVere Sun 10-Mar-13 08:27:50

Have you seen the long 'medical' one about how drinking cold water causes the fat in your stomach to harden an will give you a heart attack.

Its forwarded by the same people who forward the 'water is the best medicine' ones.

I too have caused great distress by linking to snopes etc. That gang/baby car seat one which has horrible racist undertones. I debunked it only to have someone say 'well its good to know anyway'

WHY?

Trills Sun 10-Mar-13 12:48:03

It's good to know WHAT?

It's good to know that some people are telling this lie?

MrsDeVere Sun 10-Mar-13 12:57:39

Its good to know just in case it ever becomes actually true rather than a bit fat lie designed to alarm women and make them suspicious of young black males.

I suppose hmm
grin

idshagphilspencer Sun 10-Mar-13 13:05:30

it's good to know which facebook friends you need to delete perhaps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now