Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think this takes the p*** !

(56 Posts)

One of my kids has two boys in his class who are having a joint birthday party, great, fine, kids will love it.

Then today I get an email, one of the mums friends ( another mum) is having a collection for the 2 children, cash that is, and please will we put our names on the envelope an bring it to her outside the classroom at picking up time.... The message goes on to inform us that she will let us all know how much they collect and let the mums know who contributed what ?? EHHHHHHHHHHHHH .??
I must be getting on a bit because i thought Birthday parties were about kids having fun and mums bringing little gifts along (normally something left over from last party you had ;) lol) Maybe im wrong but WTF ?? Is this not out of hand now or am I just stuck in the past ??

YouTheCat Tue 05-Mar-13 17:57:13

I'd just email back and say you prefer to buy your own gift. Seems a bit bloody cheeky to me.

HecateWhoopass Tue 05-Mar-13 17:58:11

I'd just email back

No thanks. I've already got their gifts.

atthewelles Tue 05-Mar-13 17:58:33

YANBU and the birthday boys would probably prefer to get lots of parcels than one big present from all the party goers.

FlowerTruck Tue 05-Mar-13 17:59:13

How odd. Just take your own gift.

ginmakesitallok Tue 05-Mar-13 17:59:21

I wuoldn't even e-mail her back - just ignore. How odd?

CocacolaMum Tue 05-Mar-13 17:59:33

I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. Sounds like they are trying to pay for the party with "voluntary" contributions - no way.

Mynewmoniker Tue 05-Mar-13 17:59:38

I would just say you won't need to make a contribution as you have already purchased a prezzy for each, thank you.

A bit cheeky of the other mum to put herself in charge IMO

Euphemia France Tue 05-Mar-13 18:00:22

YANBU!

Way to start fights, or what?!

TheFallenNinja Tue 05-Mar-13 18:00:40

Sounds very high pressure. Tell her to get stuffed.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 05-Mar-13 18:01:15

That's so grasping

atthewelles Tue 05-Mar-13 18:02:41

The idea of telling every mum 'who contributed what' shock Nothing like putting pressure on people.

Seriously I would refuse to get involved. Way OTT behaviour from that other mum.

DeepPurple Tue 05-Mar-13 18:06:48

WTAF? shock

asleb Tue 05-Mar-13 18:14:19

That's really weird. I would just say you already got pressies. How rude!

flangledoodle Tue 05-Mar-13 18:23:38

WTF I can't stand things like that. YANBU

BramshawHill Tue 05-Mar-13 18:45:39

That's awful and greedy. Have a quiet word with the other mums? They might be feeling the same as you but be going along with it for fear of being the odd one out, get everyone to just get presents!

BramshawHill Tue 05-Mar-13 18:45:41

That's awful and greedy. Have a quiet word with the other mums? They might be feeling the same as you but be going along with it for fear of being the odd one out, get everyone to just get presents!

NeverWinsMNComps Tue 05-Mar-13 19:53:08

That is one of the oddest things I've ever heard. It's not like a collection for a leaving present! I hope nobody goes along with it.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Tue 05-Mar-13 19:54:52

Yeeurgh, that's just cringey behaviour. YANBU at all, and I would probably ignore the email and turn up with something nice for the children that I had picked out myself.

NeverWinsMNComps Tue 05-Mar-13 19:58:30

Also, what kind of message does that send to the kids invited to the party? I encourage my kids to think about their mates and choose a gift that they will enjoy. If the parents just chuck money in an envelope, the children are completely removed from the process.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Tue 05-Mar-13 20:02:51

Wow, talk about grabby and rude. Its about the bloody kids, some people.

Molehillmountain Tue 05-Mar-13 20:04:18

Sorry-all gifts for parties are chosen by the dc from my present stash. I assume most people operate like this.

TickledOnion Tue 05-Mar-13 20:05:34

I have heard of this before. I think the idea is that the birthday child gets 1 or 2 big presents that they actually want rather than 20 small presents that they (or rather, their parents) don't want.

PuggyMum Tue 05-Mar-13 20:07:07

Is everyone copied into the email? I'd reply to all saying you have already sorted prezzies. Very cheeky and grasping!

kinkyfuckery Tue 05-Mar-13 20:08:19

Wow. Just tell them you'd rather buy the gifts. I'd probably just give cash to the collection, because it's easier for me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now