Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Come and tell me if I'm being unreasonable - dog related

(11 Posts)
binger Tue 05-Mar-13 10:16:05

Most breeders are happy to take pups back to cover holidays when they are so little as kennels aren't suitable for babies. You are definitely not being U, as you say neighbours would be happy to look after it also plus there are loads of fab dog boarders out there.

eavesdropping Tue 05-Mar-13 10:12:00

YANBU.

I also feel nervous around dogs and there is no way I would have one in my house, and certainly not for a week!!!

You shouldn't have to move out of your home for a fucking dog either...your DP's mother needs to get one of her neighbours to look after it. I would be raging at my DH for even entertaining the idea.

I love dogs, but as you so obviously don't I think it's unfair of your DP to insist that the puppy comes to stay with you.
Perhaps he thinks it won't be around you too much if he's taking it to work every day, but he should be taking your feelings about the rest of the time into account before agreeing to look after it.

chrome100 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:56:55

DP has his own business so the dog can go to work with him during the day but it will be here being all doggy in the evenings and mornings and I just hate the thought of it

cloudpuff Tue 05-Mar-13 09:39:42

yanbu,
like has already been said you will end up with it everytime they go on holiday, and probably also when they visit you they will bring it with them.

YouTheCat Tue 05-Mar-13 09:37:28

YANBU Puppies require a lot of work. If you are both working what will the puppy be like left on its own all day?

Doesn't sound like a good idea, even if you did like dogs.

SpicyPear Tue 05-Mar-13 09:37:18

YANBU. It's very unfair on you given you are uncomfortable with dogs. It doesn't sound like you have a good set up for a puppy in any case. Don't stay with a friend - it's ridiculous to move out of your own home so the dog can stay!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 05-Mar-13 09:35:01

YANBU at all.

Shutupanddrive Tue 05-Mar-13 09:33:57

Yanbu, put your foot down now or it will come to stay with you every time they go away!

A puppy in a city flat is not the best idea in the world. I like dogs and I'd not want this either. I'd most definitely not wasn't this if the dog had a habit of chewing things.

Yanbu

chrome100 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:29:15

DP's mum has recently got a dog. It's very small and still a puppy. I am not the world's biggest dog fan and am actually quite nervous around them. However, I have made an effort with it and although not been very relaxed in its company have tried to be.

Now DP's mum is going on holiday and DP has asked if we can look after the dog whilst she's away. This is despite the fact that she lives 2 hours away in the countryside, has many neighbours who would happily dog sit in their nice country houses, whilst we live in a flat in a city.

DP loves the dog and is very excited about the prospect of it coming to stay. I, however, am not. In fact, I am a bit upset that he'd consider this as he knows that I don't like dogs. It's all very well me making an effort when it's at his mum's house, but I really don't think I should have to spend a week creeping around it in my own house. I've told him that if the dog comes I'll go and stay with a friend whilst it's here (we don't have kids) although I would of course much rather not have to do this.

AIBU to not want the dog here and to think that DP is BU in not considering my feelings?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now