Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask if you're OP includes a large cast lists to please use full titles

(37 Posts)
atthewelles Sat 02-Mar-13 12:06:05

So anyway DB and DS were having an argument about DD1's DF and DN stepped in and then DF got annoyed and started having a go. I roped DSIL in to help but her DN and my DF's DBIL advised her not to get involved so it was left to DM to deal with the problem.

I HATE OPs like this. I completely lose track of who's who, whether DF is Dear Fiance, Dear Father, Dear Friend; whether DN is Dear Niece, Dear Nephew, Dear Neighbour; why on earth the family doctor has been dragged into the situation (oh sorry, no, its Dear GrandParents ) etc etc

Any chance, if there's a cast of thousands, posters could ease up on the abbreviations?

Ta. smile

atthewelles Sun 03-Mar-13 16:17:30

I think anyone more distantly related to you than your children should not have acronyms. I think I could maybe cope with that smile.

atthewelles Sat 02-Mar-13 16:55:27

I agree FarBetterNow, especially when they only come on to the thread to point out grammatical errors and add nothing to the debate. I usually assume they don't get out very much and have lost the art of making witty or interesting conversation smile.

erowid Sat 02-Mar-13 14:28:37

It took me weeks to decipher the language used on this forum when I first started visiting this website. Often sat here with the acronyms open on another page just trying to understand what's going on. I've never used another forum where you need to learn a short hand code to translate what has been written.

Its quite off putting as a new member but there is a lot of helpful information on this forum which is why I still use it.

FarBetterNow Sat 02-Mar-13 14:10:24

Just wondering if knowing the correct use of apostrophes gives MNers a smug superiority complex.
FWIW I do prefer correct grammer etc, but would never be so rude or ill mannered as to criticize some one who makes an error.

ErikNorseman Sat 02-Mar-13 13:58:06

I don't understand why people write DDad or Dmum. It's just dad or mum in that case surely? The D helps to denote an initial signifying a person. Dad and mum aren't initials, so they don't need the D.

Panzee Sat 02-Mar-13 13:53:52

I am another one who hates the acronyms. Especially the D part.

GreenLeafTea Sat 02-Mar-13 13:50:12

I get confused as well sometimes. It isn't about being pedantic its about genuinely not have a fucking clue what's going on. I also get confused with DS3, is it your third child or are they three?

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sat 02-Mar-13 13:33:59

Arf at guinea pig grin

HecateWhoopass Sat 02-Mar-13 13:30:56

grin i knew you were going to get pounced on.

yes, i agree with you. It really doesn't take much to type what is only ever a few more letters. I don't bother with ds, dh or anything like that. husband. eldest, youngest, sister, niece, mum, dad, friend... takes a fraction of a second.

however, each to their own. Normally it's clear who they're on about and if it isn't it's easy enough to ask is your ill gp your grandparent, your godparent, your doctor or your guinea pig? grin

Spottyblancmange Sat 02-Mar-13 13:26:25

Under a previous nickname I posted a thread involving 2 DFriends, so said at the beginning I'd call them by fake names to stop confusion, eg Jane and John. Cue a ton of posts berating me for using my friends names even though I'd clearly said fake names.

LadyWidmerpool Sat 02-Mar-13 13:18:57

I agree Lappy but posters get unaccountably defensive when this topic is brought up so I expect we will get piled on!

fluckered Sat 02-Mar-13 13:17:50

where the hell did the "D" dear part come from. its known across many forums. and i often wonder why the gp was involved always mistaking it for the doctor.

lappy Sat 02-Mar-13 12:55:57

atthewelles I'm with you. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'd enjoy the site a lot more if the acronyms were gone completely.

Sallyingforth Sat 02-Mar-13 12:49:26

Having read your initial post, I think the butler did it. But Miss Marple will know for sure smile

Thumbwitch Sat 02-Mar-13 12:44:22

xigris - actually, your first post was correct - but to be absolutely clear, you could have written "My pet hate is 'of' instead of 'have'..." smile

Thumbwitch Sat 02-Mar-13 12:42:44

I can usually keep track, but got horrendously confused when someone was talking about her DD's DS, especially when it was apparent that her DD was still at primary school - turned out she was talking about a nintendo DS...

I also get quite aggravated when people use DS for dear sister - that just doesn't compute.
And can get confused between DF(ather) and DF(iancé).

But overall it generally becomes apparent from context, so I think YAB a bit U.

nurserytea Sat 02-Mar-13 12:34:27

Confuses me as well. I once read several posts on a thread, absolutely bewildered as to why the doctor was going on holidays with the OP and her family grin

Wow, there are some very rude people on this thread shock

atthewelles Sat 02-Mar-13 12:27:22

I actually opened a thread yesterday that sounded very interesting but after two paras of DFs and DBFs and DNs etc I completely lost track and just closed it.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sat 02-Mar-13 12:27:22

I'm with you, I'm always wondering why the doctor is babysitting for the weekend! grin

Struffle Sat 02-Mar-13 12:26:47

X posts.

My last post should say 'second to last post'.

Struffle Sat 02-Mar-13 12:26:17

Missing a full stop in your last post OP. wink

Sorry. Your OP makes a reasonable point imo.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 02-Mar-13 12:25:48

Yes the acronyms are very handy, but the op is saying that when the whole lot appear in the first paragraph, along with friend A,B, C, and D it's a bit hard to process.

atthewelles Sat 02-Mar-13 12:24:09

Oh, yes, I hate Friend A and Friend B, especially when we then have to deal with Friend A's DF and Friend B's DM. sad

xigris Sat 02-Mar-13 12:22:16

See? Random of!! Should have read 'my pet hate is instead of have NOT 'my pet hate is of instead'. Gah! blush

atthewelles Sat 02-Mar-13 12:22:13

FFS this isn't an English lesson.

Starfish the stray apostrophe was meant to be an inverted comma but the key is a bit sticky and the other one didn't come out. I had already spotted it and thought "Oh God, who'll come rushing on about that"
confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now