AIBU to think sports direct must be making a fortune out of never having change in their tills?

(38 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 01-Mar-13 23:05:14

Dd needed a new swimming costume for school so we nipped into sports direct, found one for £5.99 and gave £6 in cash

Cashier said, sorry I've no pennies in my till, I think 'meh it's only a penny' so didn't bother

Walking away though, I realise this is not the first time it's happened

They must be raking it in from all those 1&2ps they keep

StuntGirl Sat 02-Mar-13 19:43:39

Yep, shops across the country are making a secret fortune by not giving the odd customer a few coppers.

sausagesandwich34 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:29:13

500 ish stores

probably averages at 100 cash paying customers per day (based on other retailers figures) per store

£1 per store, £500 per day for the company

that's over £180,000 per year!!!

StuntGirl Sun 03-Mar-13 18:20:04

I can tell you've never worked retail grin

We made about £3k today, but only took approximately £200 in cash. The tills are generally dead on 0.00 (indeed today they were), but sometimes it can go up to a couple of quid either way. Those are rare occasions when there's generally been a mistake with change (say, giving a fivers change where it should have been a tenners change). On those days its better to declare it as whatever it is, whether that's up or down.

Generally if the tills are wrong though it's a couple of pence out. If it's up, say, 3 pence, we'll take the 3p out and pop it on the side. The next time a till is a few pence down, we just use that to make it even.

Tills are down as often as they're up. It all evens out in the wash.

andubelievedthat Sun 03-Mar-13 19:27:46

I insist on my penny change ,wherever . I also pick up change from the pavement and save it up ,yes, i know , but....

shivoncarla Thu 22-Oct-15 20:27:33

I don't know about the penny incident but they are defiantly raking it in through their return policy, I added the link to my story below:

So, about a month ago I brought three pairs of shoes for my children from Sports Direct Online. When they arrived, one of them was completely the wrong size to which I had ordered and the other was damaged so I decided to return all three shoes via distribution. I made sure that I noted that I wanted the money back onto my debit card on the return slip, however, they returned all the money back onto a store voucher. I don't usually shop in sports direct, it really was a one off and now I'm stuck with this stupid voucher. When I emailed customer service, they said that there is nothing they can do now as it is on a voucher and they can't return the voucher for money! When I called up, one of the representatives basically told me that it's my fault for returning all of the shoes. I can't believe this, it's absurd. Not all the shoes were a change of mind, I'm not at fault and now I'm out of pocket because I had to pay a TWO delivery charges. I had a few of cases like this with sports direct but I thought it would be different if I brought online... obviously not.

ilovesooty Thu 22-Oct-15 20:34:36

I think they're despicable scum as a company.

ilovesooty Thu 22-Oct-15 20:36:34

Zombie thread I see but my opinion stands.

IonaNE Thu 22-Oct-15 20:37:04

I can't remember the last time I paid cash in anywhere but a charity shop where I was under the minimum card-payable amount. I don't need change off my card. It'd never occur to me to pay cash in SportsDirect.

LadyDeirdreWaggon Thu 22-Oct-15 20:40:00

Instead of raking up hundreds of ancient threads why not spend some time looking up the difference between 'which' and 'that'?

CrapBag Thu 22-Oct-15 21:03:08

Go and find something more productive to do SHIVON. They didn't steal your first born child ffs.

shivoncarla Thu 22-Oct-15 21:15:40

Excuse me 'CRAPBAG' - very fitting name by the way but, enlighten me please.. what would be more productive? How about replying to a valid post with an ignorant response because that's exactly what you are doing?!

LadyDeirdreWaggon: I made a grammatical mistake, I didn't realise how that could impact your life so dramatically but thank you for correcting me.

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Oct-15 21:22:48

Hi ShivonCaria
So sorry to hear about your problems with Sports Direct - probably best to stick with just one thread - as you can see, having lots of threads on the same topic can annoy folks

hairbrushbedhair Thu 22-Oct-15 21:40:24

This was over 2 years ago this person was annoyed (who started this thread) I understand being annoyed but going on a rampage seems rather extra. Is something more going on in your life upsetting you tonight shivon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now