AIBU to think sports direct must be making a fortune out of never having change in their tills?

(29 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Fri 01-Mar-13 23:05:14

Dd needed a new swimming costume for school so we nipped into sports direct, found one for £5.99 and gave £6 in cash

Cashier said, sorry I've no pennies in my till, I think 'meh it's only a penny' so didn't bother

Walking away though, I realise this is not the first time it's happened

They must be raking it in from all those 1&2ps they keep

StuntGirl Sat 02-Mar-13 19:43:39

Yep, shops across the country are making a secret fortune by not giving the odd customer a few coppers.

sausagesandwich34 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:29:13

500 ish stores

probably averages at 100 cash paying customers per day (based on other retailers figures) per store

£1 per store, £500 per day for the company

that's over £180,000 per year!!!

StuntGirl Sun 03-Mar-13 18:20:04

I can tell you've never worked retail grin

We made about £3k today, but only took approximately £200 in cash. The tills are generally dead on 0.00 (indeed today they were), but sometimes it can go up to a couple of quid either way. Those are rare occasions when there's generally been a mistake with change (say, giving a fivers change where it should have been a tenners change). On those days its better to declare it as whatever it is, whether that's up or down.

Generally if the tills are wrong though it's a couple of pence out. If it's up, say, 3 pence, we'll take the 3p out and pop it on the side. The next time a till is a few pence down, we just use that to make it even.

Tills are down as often as they're up. It all evens out in the wash.

andubelievedthat Sun 03-Mar-13 19:27:46

I insist on my penny change ,wherever . I also pick up change from the pavement and save it up ,yes, i know , but....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now