To think that Harpenden, hertfordshire has some of the worse drivers... in the world

(65 Posts)
ReallyTired Fri 01-Mar-13 20:43:40

A long time I went for a job interview at a Harpenden School. It was scary! There were mad people in their 4X4s trying to drop their children as close to the school gate as possible. It was a miracle that there was no accident.

I thought this was a one off, but a couple of weeks ago my son did Grade 2 at St George's school Harpenden early in the morning and yet again there was 4X4s fighting to the death for a parking space.

Driving in Italy is calm and stress free experience in comparision.

girlwiththedragon Mon 04-Mar-13 18:11:54

In the previous country I lived in if they got sick of waiting in a traffic queue they just drove their enormous Landcruisers along the pavement. And they used to drive along with their kids hanging out of the windows and sun roof (no seat belt laws for children shock). Loads of shocking examples it was unbelievable. Now THAT was bad driving. Driving in the UK is positively sedate in comparison (even Harpenden)

101handbags Mon 04-Mar-13 15:51:34

I live in Harpenden. I don't drive and walk everywhere. I take my life in my hands every time I cross at the zebra crossing at the bottom of Station Road. It's suuuuch an inconvenience to have to stop one's Porsche/Range Rover etc. to let people cross.

TomDudgeon Mon 04-Mar-13 14:43:07

Agree Harpenden used to be a lovely place to live. It doesn't seem nice now and suspect I wouldn't live there even if I could afford it

Twoflowers Mon 04-Mar-13 14:23:34

Oh, and love the magic roundabout. You can go round clockwise or anti-clock wise to get the the same turn off, what's not to like? smile

Twoflowers Mon 04-Mar-13 14:19:11

YANBU! I grew up in Harpenden, my family is from there, and I still work there, hate having to drive in everyday. There are so many cars, such a shame as it was a great place a few years back. All my cousins and I have been priced out by the influx of commuters for London, it's totally changed the feel of the place sad.

Oh and dont worry about being in the wrong lane...Everyone is in the wrong lane.

Not been to Leeds then ?

Indicators are optional. As are red lights.
Leave a gap of more than a few cm and someone will slide in front of you..

Wickedgirl Mon 04-Mar-13 13:58:14

My DH is a driving instructor and he takes his pupils to the magic roundabout. Dealing with normal roundabouts is so easy afterwards

Harpenden is full of new money and yummy mummies. It isn't a friendly place.

St. Albans is far nicer and so are the people.

MrsSonky Mon 04-Mar-13 12:56:29
MrsSonky Mon 04-Mar-13 12:55:39

^"I think that Harpenden attracts the very ambitious types who are go getters and used to having high powered jobs in London before children.
Certainly the Harpenden mummies who venture to Hemel for the better sports centre/ gymnastics/ cheaper music classes drive normally and experience less stress parking. Prehaps the magic roundabout in Hemel is enough to repell the mad Harpenden mummies back to Harpenden."^ ReallyTired

"Seriously, you have to love a place so posh it makes St. Albans look like Tower Hamlets." Somewherewest

These two comments just about sum the place up. Did make me chuckle. Proud of my HP postcode!

Enjoy these...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc7t5zGrWlw
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHl1kHI1BXw

OliviaAllOverTheSpamMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Mar-13 12:18:48

ReallyTired

View from MurderOfGoths car ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih223jffmek

grin
Feel slightly sick now have to say
And that windscreen wants cleaning. grin

Startail Mon 04-Mar-13 12:12:58

My DDad, who went that way for work, once built a model of the magic round about out of ashtrays, fag packets and table mats and tried to explain it to me.

I was very confused, home was a welsh market town with one pelican crossing. Nearest duel carriageway is 60 miles away, nearest MWay is Cardiff.

ReallyTired Mon 04-Mar-13 11:51:04

View from MurderOfGoths car ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih223jffmek

grin @ Olivia

TomDudgeon Mon 04-Mar-13 11:21:10

The magic roundabout isn't really a roundabout. It's a series of mini roundabouts and if you treat it as such it's a lot less scary

OliviaAllOverTheSpamMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Mar-13 11:14:35

MurderOfGoths

Right you are all coming in my car and I'm showing you how damn easy the magic roundabout is!

Oh yes, come over here!

You should see if you can get a passenger to video it and post it on here grin

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 04-Mar-13 10:40:03

Oxford and Cambridge's drivers all went to the same school of motoring according to DS, they're as bad as each other.

TomDudgeon Mon 04-Mar-13 10:34:59

I'm from Harpenden originally. Neither I or my parent drive though so am ok
I will say though that those same drivers all extend their crapness to wheeling their extremely overpriced pushchairs around. I have never been rammed into or tripped over as many times as when I am visiting

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Mon 04-Mar-13 10:04:58

Never been to Harpenden, but I live in Milton Keynes and the drivers here are maniacs. I don't know if it's because so many of the roads on the grid system are 70mph limits, but they just zoom everywhere, including on the residential streets where there's supposed to be a 20/30mph limit confused

DH wants me to learn to drive but I am terrified of doing so round here. London was a doddle in comparison.

youmaycallmeSSP Mon 04-Mar-13 10:00:02

Ah yes but I'm in Bedfordshire wink

Right you are all coming in my car and I'm showing you how damn easy the magic roundabout is!

Oh yes, come over here!

OliviaAllOverTheSpamMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 03-Mar-13 20:26:46

Hello all ye brilliant and less than brilliant hErtfordshire DRIVERS
Get thee over to MN Hertfordshire for this rant, eh?!?
<end hijack>
And YY the magic roundabout is BONKERS
<gavel>

Ah the magic roundabout is easy! You can always spot the people that are new to the area though when you are on it grin

Glad I'm not the only one to not like driving there grin Slough isn't that bad really. I do hate driving through St Albans though, had so many near misses there!

feelingdown3938 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:20:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now