To wonder why any grown woman would want to wear a Pandora bracelet?

(400 Posts)
WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Fri 01-Mar-13 20:30:58

I loved that kind of thing when I was 5. The little beads, different colours and styles.

But they still look like childs jewellery when on an adult woman.

They cost a lot of money (in my world they cost a lot of money) but they look so cheap. Really tacky.

They're on par with the dingle dangle clowns. The only difference is its silver (or white gold?) and on the wrist.

<runs>

londonrach Sun 12-Apr-15 16:38:38

Zombie thread!

Im afraid i really dont like panadora and your survey doesnt give that option. There is much nicer jewellery out there. However everyone likes different things..

LikeToDrinkSodaandEatChocolate Sun 12-Apr-15 16:35:24

Your result will be really useful for me smile

LikeToDrinkSodaandEatChocolate Sun 12-Apr-15 16:33:43

For Pandora in love girls, can you help me to complete this survey abot Pandora. It just take a 4 mins. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HXZ6SDV this is the link to my survey.

BernadetteMatthews Thu 19-Mar-15 07:10:40

Zombie thread. why upset people?

Only1scoop Thu 19-Mar-15 07:10:10

Damn never been zombied before confused

Only1scoop Thu 19-Mar-15 07:09:15

They aren't really my thing and I actually think they are a little tacky ....however Yabu as each to their own.

Clown danglers grin

my2centsis Thu 19-Mar-15 07:05:02

How bloody rude!

I think grown women who are completely disrespectful to people who have a bracelet that means something to THEM are tacky

chopinbabe Thu 19-Mar-15 01:04:12

Really Windchime! What sort of poor areas would they be then, you know the places where people flock in a vain attempt to appear classy? Would you include: Harrogate, Epsom, Tunbridge Wells, Windsor or Guildford?

What do you think is classy then? Give us all a laugh! Post a picture of yourself in what you consider your finery: someone, somewhere will laugh!

The absolutely awful patronising remarks designed to upset others by taking the shine of something that they may treasure is appalling. I am afraid to say that some people have shown themselves to have all the charm of a Waynetta Slob.

Some people like Pandora, others don't but that does not give anyone the right to set themselves up like patience on a monument in order to make some one feel small because of their choice in jewellery.

WilburIsSomePig Wed 18-Mar-15 17:54:14

Not a huge fan of them but I have no idea why some posters seem to think the fact that they don't like them makes them a little bit better than someone else. Words like tacky, vulgar, cheap etc sets off my wanker alert. Makes them sound like a tossers.

windchime Wed 18-Mar-15 17:33:24

I don't get it either, OP. They just look like cheap tat. I have noticed that they open shops in the poorest areas, and people flock to them believing they are being classy grin

unnaturalmakeup Wed 18-Mar-15 17:17:01

Damn, didn't see it was a zombie.

unnaturalmakeup Wed 18-Mar-15 17:15:24

I'm a bit late to the party, but here is a quote from this woman.

"Our patriarchal society makes strangers -of any gender- think it acceptable to humiliate a woman based on how she woke up that morning and got dressed to please herself.

So next time you catch yourself critiquing someone’s appearance negatively (In particular, how women dress) maybe try to think instead of why you feel the need to make that horrible assessment?

Are you intimidated by them? Are you sexualising them? Are you repulsed because they don’t adhere to your standards of beauty?"

TheCraicDealer Wed 18-Mar-15 16:38:08

Eugh, zombie thread. I’m going to comment anyway.

I don’t like the look of them; ‘traditional’ charm bracelets are much nicer imho, and they have the benefit of being able to take the charms and add them to generic chains etc. The craftsmanship is often much better as well. Traditional ones are timeless, Pandora ones will date pretty badly in comparison. If you get pleasure out of it that’s great, but I wouldn’t be buying one and adding to it thinking my DD would love it and get loads of wear out of it in years to come.

The cost is also an issue for me; assuming you buy the most basic bracelet at £55, and fill it with 15 charms at £30 a go that’s £505. If you get an extra special/more pricey charm on occasion it could easily be getting to c.£750 plus. And that’s very much at the cheaper end of the scale. Just doesn’t seem right for what you’re getting. You could get something really, really nice for that money.

And I don’t buy that it’s particularly awful to pass comment on them; some posters have gone a bit OTT, but is it really that much worse than the comments posted on this thread in S&B last week, to someone who was thinking of buying said shoes? She was asking for opinions yes, but some of those comments were on par with the ones here. There’s plenty of stuff I wear that people don’t like (and which has been slagged off on MN), but I don’t care. I even have a waterfall cardigan. If someone got worked up enough to start a thread I’d look in my big bag of fucks, realise I was all out and get on with my day.

Ohanarama Wed 18-Mar-15 15:35:11

I think they're pretty hideous really (sorry!). I wonder what the actual silver/gold value of the items is. My mum had some disgusting looking 60s/70s style jewellery which was actually good quality silver and gold so she has been able to sell it for a decent amount. I wonder if in years to come, when Pandora gets outdated (which it will because it is so popular now) if they will actually have much value.

SteveBrucesNose Wed 18-Mar-15 13:37:30

Well I got mine as a going away pressie when I emigrated, so that friends and family could send me
Nice small pressies for birthdays and Christmas. Every harm has been bought by someone i love.

Don't give a fuck what people think of it. I'd rather have one bracelet with lots of 15-20 bits of 'costume' jewellery that are trendy for 6 months and then never get worn again.

So ner.

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 18-Mar-15 11:13:29

MrsFlannel I never thought of that supporting craftspeople too. Tillerman go to the York Viking Fest every year, which is where I first saw them but there are also other silversmiths etc selling there, who make Pandora-compatible stuff. If it helps keep yer actual craftspeople going, I'm all for it!

crazylady12 Wed 18-Mar-15 10:38:08

I have two pandora bracelets I love them and personally I don't think the look cheap, I am not a fan of the pave one I go for plain silver ones.

sebsmummy1 Wed 18-Mar-15 10:30:51

I like the idea of them but I can't stand having jangly jewellery about my person so know I would take it off within minutes of wearing it.

Shame as DP would absolutely love to have twenty years worth of presents he didn't have to think about so I'm sure a charm bracelet would fit the bill perfectly.

TheFairyCaravan Wed 18-Mar-15 10:25:38

I've got a Pandora bracelet and a bangle. I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks, they don't have to wear them.

MrsFlannel Wed 18-Mar-15 10:21:37

Joffrey you can buy actual ancient beads on Ebay for a few pounds...wouldn't you rather that?

chrome100 Wed 18-Mar-15 10:20:13

I don't see the appeal.

Personally, I know how important my friends/family/pets/dead relatives/memories are to me and don't need to carry them around on my wrist but if people like doing that, fair dos.

MrsFlannel Wed 18-Mar-15 10:18:22

Part of the problem is that you can buy imitations on Amazon for about 5p each and I can't tell the difference! So a bracelet which cost a lot of money is no diffeent to one that cost a fiver.

Eustasiavye Wed 18-Mar-15 10:14:39

I have a unique silver charm bracelet but I never wear it. Over the years people have bought charms for it. My mum as one too.

I guess this is the modern take on it. I wouldn't spend that much on jewellery as I don't think they look good, seen 2 today as coincidence has it, both different but again not my cup of tea. Just as tattoos are unique doesn't make them any more attractive.

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 18-Mar-15 10:00:45

* we = they! Pre-coffee typing!

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 18-Mar-15 10:00:16

I have one with quite a few Pandora charms - all got one by one by my oldest son or my husband, for birthdays, xmases, and one or two different big events in our lives. I also have some handmade glass beads on it from Tillerman beads as I am a bit of an historian and love all things Anglo-Saxon/Viking. Can't get more unique. And I have a few really cheap ones from eBay - mainly because they were things significant to me. There's no law says you have to put Pandora charms on a Pandora bracelet!

I was a kid in the 60s and longed for a charm bracelet that somehow I never got, so yes it is a total childlike thing for me. I don't have pierced ears so don't wear ear rings, and I like the sturdiness of Pandora - in the post xmas sale I even bought a leather Pandora bracelet which just has one or two charms on, for my 'everyday' wear. What I lkike about them is you can keep changing what is on it, o it never gets boring and each charm has a story.

Here's the handmade beads for anyone interested (no affiliation - just love what we do).

tillerman.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now