To wonder why any grown woman would want to wear a Pandora bracelet?

(346 Posts)
WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Fri 01-Mar-13 20:30:58

I loved that kind of thing when I was 5. The little beads, different colours and styles.

But they still look like childs jewellery when on an adult woman.

They cost a lot of money (in my world they cost a lot of money) but they look so cheap. Really tacky.

They're on par with the dingle dangle clowns. The only difference is its silver (or white gold?) and on the wrist.

<runs>

ConstantCraving Sun 03-Mar-13 21:28:03

I know its only my opinion - I am hearing that some people like them but its just wierd. They look like they'd be the sort of thing you'd wear with an outfit by per una (which seems to be universally loathed) and yet for some reason they are very popular. It's like the emperors new clothes...
BTW I should say i'm not very trendy at all - possibly why i'm just not getting this.

LtEveDallas Sun 03-Mar-13 21:37:47

I don't understand why people keep saying that they are 'fashion' or 'trendy'. They first came out in 2000 - that's 13 years ago! They are hardly a 'new' fad that people are buying into. In fact, after 13 years, if people are still buying them are they not now considered a 'Classic'?

Latara Sun 03-Mar-13 21:47:28

I have a charm bracelet... a Thomas Sabo one which i bought myself, but only have 4 charms (i confess 1 is a cheaper charm than the official Thomas Sabo ones)..

i like charm bracelets but prefer mine to the Pandora bracelets, although each to their own i think smile

fromparistoberlin Mon 04-Mar-13 08:56:23

"Mine might be that you post to attempt to 'silence' those you don't agree with. <shrugs>

Nah, noone is EVER silenced on AIBU, certainly not by me! I do think that there needs to be some license extended to AIBU sometimes. Its a bit of a battle ground and I just think peoples choice of bracelet is trivial compared to some topics that come on here

there have been some vile threads on here, but I genuinely saw this as a minor infringment IYSWIM??

diddl Mon 04-Mar-13 09:09:48

I like the glass beads & have a couple on a silver bracelet-not Pandora.

I love the idea of the charms fitting onto the bracelet.

I have a "traditional" charm bracelet which is irritating and catches on things.

I think the silver charms look really cheap& badly made, though.
And that the bracelets are expensive.

JakeBullet Tue 05-Mar-13 06:34:17

I think what this thread has done for me is persuade me that I don't need to go as expensive as the Pandora stuff. That there are other similar and cheaper options.
I still like Pandora bracelets though ....just not the price grin

TiggyD Tue 05-Mar-13 08:31:42

It's basically a charm bracelet. And as anybody knows, a charm bracelet leads to:
>long hair piled up in a sort of bun with pens/knitting needles/chopsticks poking out, which leads to:
>Mad Cat Lady.

Latara Tue 05-Mar-13 08:55:00

Oh shit.

I have a charm bracelet.

I also have a cat. But she's more mad than i am ;)

JakeBullet Tue 05-Mar-13 09:31:42

I knit, I have two cats (mad cat lady starter kit) and I really really want a Pandora bracelet.

Oh dear.....grin

BegoniaBampot Tue 05-Mar-13 09:32:03

Nah, the a pandora crew will be having boozy lunches with their girlfriends whilst shopping in chocolate box market towns, weekends to Barcelona with their friends and cruising the Med in winter when the golf course is to frozen for a round.

grin @ "mad cat lady starter kit" Jake

rubyrubyruby Thu 07-Mar-13 22:50:48

I have a simple leather one - no charms.

It's very 'me'

shellyshade Sun 23-Jun-13 22:07:22

I have a basic pandora and no charms, got it as a present. At first I thought it was mega bad taste, but now I really like it and wear it every day. I wont be buying any charms - expensive and don't like them anyway.

Littleballofhate Sun 23-Jun-13 22:23:12

Have been wearing my Pandora toe ring (silver, amethyst stones) for about three years, I reckon. I love it, but then I am v.common.

Lj8893 Sun 23-Jun-13 23:57:53

My mum bought me mine as a graduation present, with a star charm because I'm her star (and my degree was musical theatre so fits the bill) and since then her and my dp have bought me a few charms between them. Nothing too fancy, just charms and beads they have spotted which are typically "me".

I love mine. I don't wear much jewellery, just my pandora bracelet and a beautiful necklace my dp bought me when we discovered we were expecting. I have another necklace I wear which my mum passed on to me which contains a healing piece of amber in but I need to get the catch fixed.

Basically all my pieces of jewellery mean something to me, including my pandora bracelet.

So yes YABU.

And the judgemental, closed minded fools on this thread that have made nasty comments stereotyping the type of people to own such peices of jewellery. Your all wrong.

pigletmania Mon 24-Jun-13 08:19:32

Yabvu just because it's not your taste does not mean every woman has to dislike them. They are quite pretty.

Xmasbaby11 Mon 24-Jun-13 08:25:24

YABU! I haven't really noticed the charm bracelets but generally their stuff is pretty. It's a bit more modern than most jewellery shops so I guess good for a change. I agree it is expensive though!

blue2 Mon 24-Jun-13 08:37:30

I fought my way into the local Pandora shop last week to get a voucher for a friends daughter.... and I was amazed at the concept.

I mean, its brilliant marketing isn't it? It doesn't matter if you buy into the 'Pandora World' or not - someone out there is making HEAPS of money out of these charms.... Brilliantly twinkly and very covetable - but pretty cheap to produce IMHO.

And then you have the latest seasons beads, so you can just carry on buying... and buying.

Its an idea I wish I'd come up with!

Hopasholic Mon 24-Jun-13 08:56:02

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT. WHY HAVE YOU FISHED THIS ONE OUT?

plainjaney Mon 24-Jun-13 11:04:33

Lj8893 my DH bought me a Chamila for my graduation with a mortar board charm. I thought it was a beautiful gift. Because I'm a bit alternative in my style though he began buying me amazingly odd charms like a halloween pumpkin, ghosts, spiders, a skull and a witch. I love it, its very me and very personal to me.

mymagaret Mon 24-Jun-13 18:16:11

YABU to be so judgemental about it. Sounds to me like you cant afford to wear Pandora so have a personal vendetta against it, you sound like a jealous child bitching about what others have and you don't. For the people complaining they all look the same, surely a chain around the neck looks more similar to that of another persons, than a bracelet you customise yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now