To wonder why any grown woman would want to wear a Pandora bracelet?

(346 Posts)
WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Fri 01-Mar-13 20:30:58

I loved that kind of thing when I was 5. The little beads, different colours and styles.

But they still look like childs jewellery when on an adult woman.

They cost a lot of money (in my world they cost a lot of money) but they look so cheap. Really tacky.

They're on par with the dingle dangle clowns. The only difference is its silver (or white gold?) and on the wrist.

<runs>

MammaTJ Fri 01-Mar-13 20:32:06

Well, I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions!!

YABU

countrykitten Fri 01-Mar-13 20:33:40

On of these shops has just opened near us. It's bloody awful stuff isn't it? I am not sure who would wear it but it does seem to be tat. Having said that I am going solely on the window display as I have never actually been in to the shop.

countrykitten Fri 01-Mar-13 20:34:09

One not on.

expatinscotland Fri 01-Mar-13 20:34:58

They're not my thing, but others like them.

EvenBetter Fri 01-Mar-13 20:35:29

I've no idea, they're so expensive and you 'customise' them by choosing what look like identical beads to the hundreds of thousands of other wearers. They just seem like a present for a husband/whoever who has no other ideas for what to get.
I know some people like theirs but I don't get it. If you're into jewellery wouldn't something less mass produced be nicer?
But I don't get the appeal of anything in pop culture.

I have an antique charm bracelet. I don't really see how it is a million miles away. I'm not a fan of Pandora as such but horses for courses. Isn't all jewelry just sparkly crap when you really think about it?

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 01-Mar-13 20:35:36

I love mine, as do all the grown-ups in my family. It's beautiful and each charm represents someone or something special. So, YABU.

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 01-Mar-13 20:35:37

No issue with pandora. It's the diamanté balls one I'm seeing feckin everywhere I hate as that looks really cheap but probs v expensive?!?

laluna Fri 01-Mar-13 20:35:39

Yabu - I think they are quite individual and I have a collection of very sentimental charms which mean much to me.

CloudsAndTrees Fri 01-Mar-13 20:37:19

Depending on the charms chosen, they can look a bit much, or they can look lovely. I think there always something nice about them though because most people have different charms with different meanings to them, and I'm a fan of meaningful jewellery!

BambieO Fri 01-Mar-13 20:38:06

wish the shamballa type ones? They are not a good look on anyone above the age of 15! YADNBU!

Pandora not so much, I don't like them but think they look quite nice on some people

I'm sure everyone has something others would consider tacky - so for that reason alone YABU.

One woman's jewellery choice is another woman's tat. I've seen plenty of vile engagement rings in my time, but I'd never call them tacky. Likewise furniture, shoes, clothes, handbags, ornaments, pictures.

I just figure people have different tastes.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Fri 01-Mar-13 20:41:26

YABU.

Why does it bother you what other people chose to wear?

Not tacky at all, but that is my opinion. I like them, but I like most sparkly/shiny stuff (convinced I was a magpie in a former life wink)

It's just a modern take on a charm bracelet.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 01-Mar-13 20:41:35

I have my mum's charm bracelet and I wish they were still the thing because I'd like to be able to find charms more easily. I would love to get a charm on a special occasion to add to it, like my mum would get from my father.

Chottie Fri 01-Mar-13 20:42:33

Well, I have a Pandora bracelet with a couple of charms and beads that my DH bought me. The beads are all in aqua colours chosen to represent our favorite holiday place. Yep, it was expensive, but our money, our choice smile

Each to their own smile

MrsDeVere Fri 01-Mar-13 20:43:29

they are shiny and pretty
whats not to like?

Oh and I have a Pandora bracelet and the only charm on it is my DDs handprint set in solid silver. So it truly is unique and totally personal to me. I defy anyone to tell me my baby's handprint on a simple, plain silver bracelet is tacky.

FlouncingMintyy Fri 01-Mar-13 20:45:14

My thinking on Pandora bracelets is: I wish I had thought of that idea!

They are not for me and I don't actually know anyone who has one, but they don't annoy me or anything.

3monkeys3 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:45:18

I don't particularly like pandora bracelets but do have a Tiffany charm bracelet, which I love. Do you mean all charm bracelets? Because it's essentially the same thing packaged slightly differently. The charms on my bracelet each represent something big that has happened in my life - I love the idea of showing it to my dd when she is older and explaining what each charm means to me and for her to eventually inherit it. It can be a very personal piece of jewellery.

Weissdorn Fri 01-Mar-13 20:45:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hiddenhome Fri 01-Mar-13 20:45:55

I haven't got one, but they look okay and I like looking at all the different charms in the shop when I pass by.

ArtVandelay Fri 01-Mar-13 20:46:15

EvenBetter - 'for husband's that have no ideas what to get' that's so true! My DH is under strict instructions - no more damned charms!

I don't wear mine because its a bit soppy and twee (sorry fans of Pandora) and it adds up to a lot of money now so I'm scared of losing it. It's the result of gifts from a few different people and I really can't get excited about it.

Is there a market for second hand ones?!

Bearbehind Fri 01-Mar-13 20:46:59

For the same reason some people have tattoos (except jewellery isn't permanent)- they like them!

Each to their own, no one is harmed by peope wearing them so YABU to try and impose your opinion on others.

MagzFarqharson Fri 01-Mar-13 20:47:45

YANBU!

Why are they so expensive? A collection goes round at work for someone's birthday and they get about 70 quid - with which they buy a 'charm' that looks like it's worth about a fiver off ebay.

But then again, if that's what they like, who are we to criticise? <returns to being all pleasant and moderate>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now