Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To expect my DM and DF to replace every toy their dogs destroy?

(33 Posts)
Cunninglinguist03 Tue 26-Feb-13 18:25:52

I unfortunately live with my DM and DF at the moment.

They have 2 dogs who get away with absolutely everything and have not been trained a day in there life.

They keep chewing DS's toys, Not just a little mark but completely ripping them apart so they are destroyed, Taking them when I am not looking and running off with them until I notice that a toy/part is missing. This has happened about 10 times now with various toys that DS loves.

My DF says 'They have chewed things all there life, They will chew'.

I keep them away from me and DS during the day when we are playing but as soon as my DF comes home I get told 'Do not keep them away, It's there home too!'

It is doing my head in.

AIBU to expect them to replace every toy they ruin?

crashdoll Tue 26-Feb-13 19:36:22

Please do not smack the dog. Terrible advice putting you and your son at risk of being bitten, not to mention abusive to the dog!

I second the idea of a massive box that the dogs can't access and when dogs are being a pest, DS can only have a few toys at a time. He doesn't need all his toys around him anyway.

HorryDrelincourt Tue 26-Feb-13 19:36:41

My point about the rent was that either you are being subsidised, in which case it would be unfair to ask them for money for not making changes to their house; or it is as expensive as living elsewhere, in which case you could look for alternative accommodation where you can watch tv while DS plays.

I haven't noticed how old he is: am I being unobservant or have you not said?

There was a v interesting article in the Sunday paper about lone parents joining forces to take a house together, on the basis that you get more space sharing a 4-bed house (eg bigger garden, bigger kitchen, etc) than having a 2-bed alone, and the rent is less too.

MrsMushroom Tue 26-Feb-13 19:38:48

Good luck OP. My sister got the shits with me when I accepted her cash to replace my DDs coat which her dog chewed up. She offered then bitched about it afterwards so I sent it back just to shut her up.

Awful behaviour.

I think horry is right - if you are paying for everything, then you might as well move out. It's obviously not a great environment.

SirBoobAlot Tue 26-Feb-13 19:47:34

Your parents let the dogs rule the house, your dad tells DS not to touch the dog toys but thinks it's fine for the dogs for ruin his, and your mum doesn't want stuff in the house?

Move out. Seriously. This will only get worse. And I say that as someone that lived with her parents for the first year with DC.

louschmoo Tue 26-Feb-13 19:53:02

YANBU. Whether you're paying or not there's no reason why you should have to put up with your property being destroyed and your parents making no effort to prevent this. If you were staying with friends who had a destructive toddler they'd usually offer to replace items destroyed + make an effort to train their child not to damage things. So how is it different just because it's your parents + their dogs? I agree that you should get a big dog-proof toybox and definitely look into the playpen idea. Nightmare - sorry you're stuck in this situation.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Tue 26-Feb-13 19:58:39

If the dogs aren't used to it they will expect any toys to be theirs on the floor they won't distinguish between them.
I can see it being very very frustrating.
Get a toy box with a proper lid and count to 10

CalamityKate Tue 26-Feb-13 20:03:13

YANBU.

Obviously it isn't the dogs' fault but frankly I'd be pissed off if my parents weren't bothered about my children having their toys destroyed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now