to want to stamp my feet like a child?

(24 Posts)
BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 00:02:16

Fucking bank charges!

I messed up last month, forgot to cancel a direct debit (moneys tight I didn't have it) and so got charged. Fair enough, my own fault.

Charges have come out today....£105!!!!!!!

Apparently, it was attempted 3 times which means 3 £35 charges. Today was my last benefit payment before I start back in full time next week, which means I don't have a Scooby Doo when I will next have money.

I get that I didn't cancel it, I get that I know about the charges but if I struggled to afford a £30 direct debit how can even begin to justify taking £105 from anyone?! Makes no fucking sense!

Broke now, with no idea how I am gonna see through this month...bastards

i remember reading on here how legally, banks cannot deduct charges from benefit payments.

how true this is, i don't know, but it's worth checking it out?

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 00:09:34

Hmmmmmm I have never heard that. Definitely worth checking out, thank you! Its not the first time it's happened but the most expensive.

it stuck in my mind because i'd just been ripped off for bank charges on an unpaid direct debit that the company tried to take 3 weeks early- luckily i got refunded by proving i hadn't agreed to a change in payment date.

it wasn't long ago either, i'll see if i can find it for you. (could take a while as i can't remember the thread)

not the thread i meant, but your charges are WAY above 12 quid, so may be useful...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/166668-did-you-know-that-bank-charges-of-more-than-GBP12/AllOnOnePage

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 00:21:45

Its looking like a legal grey area. I think I would have to go down the route of claiming back the charges as anyone else would. Found this on what consumer;

The purpose of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 187 and section 45 of the Tax Credits Act 2002 is to prevent people’s benefit money being at risk by it being assigned over to a third party in settlement of a debt. It is not intended to prohibit the application of bank charges. Bank charges are in the nature of an expense, and are incurred by the holder of the account; tax credits and benefits are payable in order to help customers meet their expenses, and as such it is legitimate for banks to deduct charges from the balance of an account held in that bank, whether the money paid into the account comes from tax credits, benefits or other sources, such as earnings."

It's not looking likely. As I said, my own fault for not cancelling it. I didn't have the money. Just seems to crap that yes I can claim them back but that's not going to put food in my ds's belly now. One month to go!

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 00:23:23

Thank you Glittery smile

okay, can't seem to find it, but i did a quick google & found this:-

www.moneysupermarket.com/community/forums/t/can-banks-take-benefit-money-for-charges-9645.aspx

hope it's of use to you!

bugger, x-posts...

if you can't get it back, can you apply for a crisis loan? a print-off from the bank would prove to the dwp that the bank swallowed your money.

it's no bother, i know how hard it is to make ends meet on benefits, never mind when you don't even get your basic payment.

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 00:35:29

It's doubtful because they've effectively stopped my income support so I am classed as no income so they can't set up repayments. Bizarre. I'm at the job centre on Thursday to close my file (yay!!!) so will have a chat with them then. Surely, they will help out until my first wage. I now have about £70 and am assuming blindly hoping that I will get paid my first wage at the end of march, beginning of April. Not sure what happens in between.

fricking hell, there's no way that'll last you sad

anyone you could borrow from?

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 10:21:45

No one to borrow from. Have called the bank this morning and waiting for a call back. Hoping they take pity just until my first wage!

noisytoys Tue 26-Feb-13 10:26:29

I used to work in the collections department at HSBC. Banks can not take any payment from benefits and they know this. They will refund it. Hope it all gets sorted soon thanks

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 10:35:53

Spoken to them, they said because it's not a banking error they won't refund, the only solution they can offer is paying half now and half next week!

I really could cry. noisy if they know that then why do they deny it? Its not as if I'm lying I have the proof. I even said "I will struggle to pay for food never mind half the charges next week when I have no income for a month" all I go was "Well....as I say its not a banking error"

noisytoys Tue 26-Feb-13 10:37:54

Go to CAB they have to pay it back. If you have had any other credits they can say that will cover charges. If it all benefits they legally can't take it because that is the minimum set by government that a person needs to live off

threesypeesy Tue 26-Feb-13 10:41:04

if you phone the bank they usually refund it as a good will gesture once a year per customer. worth a try!

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 26-Feb-13 10:41:32

Go into your branch too, I find that speaking to a real person can help.

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 10:50:13

I went into branch who told me to call the contact centre, who passed me to the hardship people, who passed me back to branch. It was branch's decision to not help.

HKat Tue 26-Feb-13 10:50:47

I would try speaking to the company who took the dd -requesting three times is not good practice when it was returned.

Chrysanthemum5 Tue 26-Feb-13 10:58:29

Are you starting back in to work? Go back in to the branch, tell them you will move your account to another bank, and point out you will be paying in a regular salary from next week.

I had this, and I went in to the branch and said the charges were completely out of proportion, and what had they done that cost £30? charges must reflect cost, not be punative.

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 11:09:20

Yes, starting full time work on Monday (can't wait!) I've told them I'm taking my banking elsewhere. Luckily, I have another account I can use. It was the branch that I spoke to, she said she had to speak to another manager at another branch, asked me when I next am able to pay money in (I'm not overdrawn, the money was there to take) I said, around a month's time when i get my first wage. She looked on my account, say that it was on dwp payments going in. Then came back and said I can pay half now and half next week. I aee no point in this as the half they temporarily refund would have to stay in my account for when they take it next week! How does that help?! Tried to call CAB but no answer.

I'm at the job centre on Thursday to close my case and sign off Income Support so will have a chat with the lovely lady about help until I'm back on my feet.

What would it have taken for them just to postpone the charges for a month?! Ridiculous!!!

SneakyNinja Tue 26-Feb-13 11:59:47

Ouch! I'm normally that horrible person who says "Well, you should have kept on top of it" but £105?! Wow, that just seems extortionate to me sad I hope something gets sorted!

BattlingFanjos Tue 26-Feb-13 12:18:12

Exactly sneaky, it was my own daft fault, I should have cancelled it but I've had so much on my mind trying to get ready for back to work and childcare for my ds. Its just so ridiculous! One charge would more than covered them being put out and I would have happily paid it. There's nothing I can do now. Gotta hope for a hand out for jobcentre sad Cannot wait to be earning and back on my feet.

fascicle Tue 26-Feb-13 13:08:33

BattlingFanjos Apparently, it was attempted 3 times which means 3 £35 charges.

BattlingFanjos There's nothing I can do now.

The person you dealt with at the local branch - was it the bank manager? Just wondering if the person you spoke to had the power to take off some/all of the charges (because there must be somebody with the authority to do so).

Did you question them about being charged for the three attempts? Can they charge for as many attempts as they like? It does seem ridiculous and arbitrary. Why not stop at one failed attempt and then contact the customer?

Personally, I would try the bank again, speaking to either the decision maker or, if you don't get far with them, their boss, and attempt to at least bring the charges down to £35. If you've banked with them a while, and this hasn't happened before, I'd mention that to them. They haven't treated you like a customer; they've effectively punished you three times for one oversight and they chose not to contact you after the first attempt failed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now