To wonder why people get so defensive about babies watching tv?

(128 Posts)
Quilty Sun 24-Feb-13 21:27:04

Just that really. Was at someone's house with 10 month old baby watching cbeebies, I jokingly comment that I will delay putting the tv on as long as possible (in reference to the irritating song that was currently on) - cue babies mum getting hugely defensive about how much tv the baby watches, how it's only on before bed etc etc and lecturing me about how it's a godsend when you need to distract them for 5 mins so you can go for a wee.

I in no way suggested that I thought she was doing anything wrong, so why such a defensive reaction?

Locketjuice Tue 26-Feb-13 16:47:03

Why do you people care so much what everyone else is doing? Getting arsey over it.. Really? Watch a bit of tv and chill out wink

12ylnon Tue 26-Feb-13 17:01:50

Perhaps she thought you were judging?

Just had to say- i did the same as you and put TV off until DS was 2... It's honestly been the bigest parenting mistake i've made .
It made DS very obsessive about TV when i finally let him watch. Just warning you!

Squitten Wed 27-Feb-13 13:15:11

Panpiper My Mum often uses that phrase - "for company". Which is how she justified leaving it on for the cats(!?) When I told her that our telly had broken and we were considering not replacing it, her first question was "what about when I come to visit?" Total addict.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now