To ask all MNetters to boycott yahoo ...

(142 Posts)
theweekendisnear Sun 24-Feb-13 20:59:21

... because newish mum and newish CEO, Marissa Meyer, has just told yahoo employees that they cannot work flexibly from home anymore?

I am going to move my more-or-less 20-year-old yahoo account to gmail because of this. I am furious with this woman.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 25-Feb-13 09:30:05

It makes sense to me.

She's not there to do people a favour, she's there to run a company, and she would be wrong to make decisions that might work for individuals but at the expense of the company. People's jobs do change at times, it better that she's giving people the option to come into the office rather than just laying them all off without any compromise.

CRbear Tue 26-Feb-13 16:29:39

I aggree with the sentiment, it's a step backwards, but I don't think a boycott will make any difference. I am disappointed to see attitudes such as "I can't work flexibly so why should they" on this thread though!

Mumsyblouse Tue 26-Feb-13 16:32:09

I agree that sole home working is not a good idea, I work about half in the office and half from home; office allows me to communicate with colleagues, focus on quick projects, get admin stuff done, home working is great for getting a longer task done. But I would find working at home all the time a little bit demotivating and I think it very much more depends on the personality of the person to keep up the momentum of full-days and I can imagine it being rather expensive to keep monitoring home-working fully enough to really see if everyone was working hard all the time.

fromparistoberlin Tue 26-Feb-13 16:33:57

what worra said

and who gives a shit if she is a newish mum? she needs to focus on business not being seen as making things cosy for mummies

Mumsyblouse Tue 26-Feb-13 16:38:10

It's a bit like students who work remotely from our university, sometimes they do really well if they are self-motivated, but if they work away a lot, then other issues, such as demotivation, lack of progress and so on can fester for a longer time and not get picked up. Plus, to some extent you need to create a collective sense of goals and responsibilities and it's harder to do that if you never see other colleagues.

I don't see this as regressive, if this group were becoming less productive and they are given the option of some office-time.

Mumsyblouse Tue 26-Feb-13 16:39:39

And, what has being a mum got to do with this?

RedToothBrush Tue 26-Feb-13 16:43:59

The way I've read the article isn't that it completely bans all home working. It just bans working from home ALL THE TIME and having no accountability and little proper contact with other people in the office. Which I actually think is a very good point.

I do know a couple of people who home work solely and I do believe they abuse the employers trust and the company doesn't get as much out of them as they would if they worked in the office a couple of days a week. And the fact that people have abused the system is the reason why its being revoked, not because its anti-parent in any way.

Flexibility has to be a compromise between the employer and employee.

Metalhead Tue 26-Feb-13 16:48:04

I think people will be lazy if they can whether they're in an office or not. I used to work in an office full time and would occassionaly spend days doing nothing much productive at all. Now I work full time from home and still have days when I don't have much to do, the only difference being I don't have to pretend I'm working!

A lot of people say they wouldn't have the discipline to work from home when I tell them about my work, but at the end of the day if you've got a deadline it has to be met, one way or another - or else you'll get fired eventually, which seems to be what's happening with these Yahoo types...

YABU. If staff aren't pulling their weight, and it seems that a lot aren't, at least she is giving them the opportunity to keep their jobs, which is more than is happening with a lot of UK companies in the last year or two.

There are much bigger problems with US employment than this.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 26-Feb-13 16:52:32

Can't see what all the fuss is about OP. Most people have to come to the office at some time to do their work, unless they work for themselves.

Fillyjonk75 Tue 26-Feb-13 16:55:04

It'd be a real arse to change my email address. So, no.

PolkadotCircus Tue 26-Feb-13 17:12:07

My inaws work from home for Microsoft and take the piss from what I've heard to be frank.They have 2 kids and have never had childcare even in the hols.My dsis works from home 1 day a week and is so dedicated she still pays her nanny that day.Tis a whole different life,they would have an almighty shock in the real world.

Dp has worked in IT for several big companies and has ever been allowed to work from home even though he could get more done at home and all on a lap top.

Companies are trying to run a business,good on her if she thinks it's necessary.

spottyhankystripysocks Tue 26-Feb-13 17:15:04

To be honest it depends what you are doing. I work with someone who works from home a lot and it can be really difficult. If you are looking at a presentation as a team/having a meeting/writing things on a white board (as we do. It is a challenge when you have someone on the other end of a phone. Having said that if you are reading something which needs complete concentration, it is useful to work at home. I hate to say it, but I do get the impression that a lot of working from home is not actually "working"

PolkadotCircus Tue 26-Feb-13 17:18:26

Not keen on the because she's a woman she's being unreasonable stance.If she was a new dad nobody would give a shit but applaud his balls so to speak.

Pigsmummy Tue 26-Feb-13 17:19:24

I do wonder where Yahoo will find all this office space from? I work from home, the vast majority of our company do and if we all tried to go into an office it just wouldn't work. Our company was in dire straits a few years back and turned around the situation by flogging our offices. As a work force working from home actually makes us more productive, we visit clients etc and often end up doing the admin/reporting out of hours or when most peope are doing the commute.

PolkadotCircus Tue 26-Feb-13 17:21:18

Oh and dp has just been given a load of extra people in his team,a lot more than he signed up(and is paid) for.It's life.

chocolatemuffintop Tue 26-Feb-13 17:23:18

Good!

I'm a PA and I don't have a choice. I have to be in the office.

I know for a fact that some people do not put in the same amount of work at home as they do in the office. A friend of mine used to work from home when she felt under the weather/just needed a break from the office. She said she didn't have to log a sick day then. Another friend (in sales) arranged for John Lewis to come round and measure up for curtains.

How bloody lovely for them whilst I'm working through my lunch hour to try to keep up with my joke of a workload...

PolkadotCircus Tue 26-Feb-13 17:29:32

Also maybe Google has problems with project release dates(not read the thing as trying to stop my daily fail surfing)not coming in on time.Far easier to see if excuses are valid if said coders etc are under your nose.

As I said not read the article.

PolkadotCircus Tue 26-Feb-13 17:31:11

Nope read the other link,several other valid reasons instead.

JaquelineHyde Tue 26-Feb-13 17:35:14

theweekendisnear I suggest that you add BT to your boycot as they use Yahoo to host all of their email addresses.

hackmum Tue 26-Feb-13 17:37:55

Curious idea that it's about saving money. BT has a big homeworking policy, and as a result they've been able to sell off a lot of their office space and also save money on energy costs. Their internal surveys have found that people are more productive at home.

Also, I'm assuming this relates to the US business. In the UK, employers have to consider an employee's request to work flexibly.

PolkadotCircus Tue 26-Feb-13 17:37:59

Hmmmmm maybe they're hiring,could do with a couple of years in Silicon Valley(with some sun).

LayMizzRarb Tue 26-Feb-13 17:38:14

Nope. Will stay with my yahoo address thanks. A company has the right to review and change working practices. I should imagine any changes made have been made in order to increase productivity or to save money.

If employees don't like the new working arrangements they can look for another job.

PolkadotCircus Tue 26-Feb-13 17:40:54

And free food,the link said free food!!!

maisiejoe123 Tue 26-Feb-13 18:08:55

I work for a large blue chip company with a home working policy. A few times over the years the company has looked at whether we need to be in the office some of the time and I have got to say that a number of mainly women spoil it for the rest of us by thinking that if they are working at home they can have their children at home and save on child care costs!

No you cannot, I had someone in my team who constantly did this claiming that childcare was too expensive. She was often on calls with customers and you could hear her children crying the background or on occasions picking up the phone.

If you want a flexible home working policy and you dont want to ruin it for others dont think that working at home allows you to have NO child care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now