to expect the changing room to be given up for me?

(92 Posts)
alisunshine29 Sun 24-Feb-13 16:26:02

I took DD's aged 5 yrs and 8 months swimming today. Our pool has 3 big changing rooms which have the blue changing tables for babies, about 20 cubicles that fit 2/3 people in and about 20 individual sized ones. I was drying DD's hair under the hand dryer directly in front of the big changing rooms after swimming waiting for one to become free. When it did I told DD to take her bag in there while I picked up the rest of our stuff. A single man stepped in front of her as she got to the door and shut it in her face, narrowly missing her fingers. I knocked on the door and asked if he had any children joining him, when he said no I asked if he'd mind moving to a different cubicle - of which there were plenty available - so I could use the large room to change with kids. He said no so I said that's what the rooms are there for, he said 'show me the sign that says so'...at which point I said 'you shouldn't need a sign to tell you to have some common decency and let two small cold children get dressed, particularly after you just slammed a door in ones face and almost trapped her fingers.' He just shrugged, said 'she looks fine to me' and closed the door before shouting 'and don't knock on the door again, it's very rude!' I'm hoping you'll agree he was a complete dick, but was it unreasonable of me to knock in the first place?

FutTheShuckUp Sun 24-Feb-13 16:27:04

biscuit
settles down with popcorn and doritos...

Flobbadobs Sun 24-Feb-13 16:28:16

YANBU I would have been pissed off too, he pushed in front of your daughter then was rude about it? Arse...

IsThatTrue Sun 24-Feb-13 16:28:23

YANBU common decency gone amiss again.

ScillyCow Sun 24-Feb-13 16:28:39

I think I would have just sucked it up and waited for another one. There are some inconsiderate people about.

I am sure you will be accused of being 'entitled'.

usualsuspect Sun 24-Feb-13 16:28:43

waits...

aldiwhore Sun 24-Feb-13 16:28:51

He was a dick, you sound entitled.

ScillyCow Sun 24-Feb-13 16:30:17

Aha! There we are!

Flobbadobs Sun 24-Feb-13 16:30:27

Not sure I would have knocked though, that may have been going a bit far..

funkypigeon Sun 24-Feb-13 16:30:50

YANBU

fluckered Sun 24-Feb-13 16:31:47

aldiwhore summed it up nicely.

Rowlers Sun 24-Feb-13 16:32:27

He behaved like a prat, you were brave enough to challenge him.
One can only hope that he goes away shame-faced, considering his actions.
Why can't we all just be nice? sad

FutTheShuckUp Sun 24-Feb-13 16:32:28

he sounds like an arse but your whole tone does sound indeed entitled

MajaBiene Sun 24-Feb-13 16:32:58

Of course she's entitled! Why shouldn't someone with a baby feel entitled to use a changing room with bloody baby changing facilities in it!

He was a dick.

YouTheCat Sun 24-Feb-13 16:33:26

Why not ask that the swimming pool puts some signs up so that they are designated as family changing cubicles?

Flojobunny Sun 24-Feb-13 16:33:51

Knocked on the door? I'd have knocked his flippin block off. Cheeky tosser. YANBU.

MajaBiene Sun 24-Feb-13 16:33:56

If I'm out with a baby, I feel entitled to use parent and baby facilities. That is the whole purpose of them.

aldiwhore Sun 24-Feb-13 16:34:00

Bingo ScillyCow Glad to oblige... smile

KD0706 Sun 24-Feb-13 16:34:11

YANBU
I would have knocked too and hoped that he would have had the common decency to move. It may have been different if there were no 'single' cubicles available.

And he was an absolute dick to call you rude for knocking

summerlovingliz Sun 24-Feb-13 16:34:34

what an idiot..don't think u were rude to knock at all..good for you! if u don't ask then u don't get! Some people are just selfish. And yes, I do think a mother with 2 small children is entitled to a family size changing room over a man on his own

Did you check the lock? Is it one of those you can open from the outside with a coin? If so, I'm sure you can guess what I'd have done ..! grin

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Sun 24-Feb-13 16:35:24

SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT not fucking 'entitled'. 'Entitled' is NOT the right way to express what you are trying to say

That feels much better

fluckered Sun 24-Feb-13 16:35:42

he was a nobber. but your concern for your kids getting cold was lost when you spent even more time standing there arguing with him. would have sorted my kids first after i called him a wanker and moved on.

ENormaSnob Sun 24-Feb-13 16:36:06

You should've grabbed his shoes from under the door and thrown them in the pool.

Fairylea Sun 24-Feb-13 16:37:15

Yanbu.

And well done for arguing the point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now