To get my belly button pierced at nearly 40?

(54 Posts)
Alphabetsy Sat 23-Feb-13 21:36:58

After a lot of hard work finally got my flat tummy back 3 years after youngest dc. Now heading towards by 40th b'day and want to do something different. Always been quite conservative - no tatoos or crazy hair styles. DH turned his nose right up at the suggestion saying 'you're 40 not 20'!! Should I do it anyway? Like to wear bikinis on hol and in pool etc.
Ps is it painful and prone to infection if done properly and how long to heal?

MissBrown Sun 24-Feb-13 21:39:24

I am 35 and had mine done at 18. I wore it through 3 pg but I don't have it in now because my post 3 dc's is a bit porky. Not massive but enough to make it sore when bending over a lot.

I do, however, wear a nose stud, an upper ear stud and have a couple of tattoos (nothing visible). I am a teacher and no one takes any offence. I think I look funny without them! The kids like it and my colleagues don't ever mention it.

I definitely think you should have it done. You may not like it, but you can always remove it. You maybe left with a scar though. Mine didn't hurt a lot, I think they freeze-sprayed it, but it took ages to heal.

I might work on my tummy and try to wear it again, I still have some pretty jewellery for it. Good luck.

CatelynStark Sun 24-Feb-13 21:00:26

I had mine done when I was 37 - I took the bar out after a couple of years because it kept catching on my belt buckle. Uck! I say go for it - why not? smile

Fellatio - I know but I'd have to have waited an extra 2 years to have it done professionally (I think 16 is the legal age for piercings some are 18 I believe)

I really hope my dd doesn't do anything so silly!

ThePinkOcelot Sun 24-Feb-13 20:36:25

Go for it! I got mine done again last year at the ripe old age of 43 (took first one out when pregnant with DD1 and couldn't get it back in). And if you've got the stomach for it, flaunt it!!

SirBoobAlot Sun 24-Feb-13 20:34:36

Do it! Worst case scenario, you don't like it, you take it out.

I had mine one, miss it.

PuffPants Sun 24-Feb-13 20:29:30

If it makes you happy, do it!

Personally, I think it's gross and can't imagine anyone over the age of 20 doing it. But I think all piercings are grim outside of ears. I once knew a girl with a nose ring and it literally turned my stomach to see it.

Hullygully Sun 24-Feb-13 20:23:32

yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk

specialsubject Sun 24-Feb-13 20:22:26

up to you - but it's hardly 'different'.

FannyBazaar Sun 24-Feb-13 20:17:36

Oh no, now I'm wishing someone had told me it was uncool and so 90's before I had mine done grin. I think I'm past being cool so it kind of goes well with me.

As a matter of interest, what is cool these days that I could have done instead?

SonOfAradia Sun 24-Feb-13 20:08:37

Do it!

Women with piercings are fab.

DW used to have a pierced clit (vertical bar) and it was great, apart from from the clacking on the teeth got a bit much after the first half hour.

pinkyredrose Sun 24-Feb-13 19:57:28

Love your piercings ilikebirds !

OP go for it, it's your body you get to decorate it as you please.

ILikeBirds Sun 24-Feb-13 19:53:37

I am triple-y uncool

photo

grin

znaika Sun 24-Feb-13 19:20:11

I'm with LHW- so 90s why would anyone do this nowadays? passe (can't do accents), naff and fundamentally uncool...Sorry- but you did ask!

buttercrumble Sun 24-Feb-13 18:51:28

Dont do it.......

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 24-Feb-13 18:49:47

Right through pregnancy...

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 24-Feb-13 18:49:29

I had mine done when I was 38. It healed quite quickly and was fine right thought pregnancy, etc. Only change is that post pregnancy I needed a shorter bar.

Go for it.

I had mine done but took it out when I was pregnant (would have kept it but kept forgetting to get a retainer).

It DOES hurt, and it is prone to infection, mine took about 3 months to heal properly. Going swimming in the end sorted it out (chlorine etc)

FellatioNels0n Sun 24-Feb-13 18:05:13

Oh god that is bloody grim. Why do teenagers do this? confused It's not like you can't get it done relatively safely and painlessly on every high street, is it?

Why not smile

I pierced mine myself with a mattress needle and bonjela age 14 so it can't hurt that much grin - it did get infected though and I had to have it repierced several times hmm.

It never really worked for me as it didn't heal properly because that's exactly where I fold and it rubbed everytime I bent.

You can always just take it out if you decide you don't want it anymore.

FellatioNels0n Sun 24-Feb-13 17:51:19

Your body. You choice. End of.

I can't believe someone actually typed that. That is one of those cliches I hear about on MN all the time, but I always thought it was a joke. Like plasma TVs and goats.

perplexedpirate Sun 24-Feb-13 17:50:06

Go for it. It would only be unreasonable to pierce someone else's naval for your birthday.
Unless you are, of course, a piercist.
smile

LayMizzRarb Sun 24-Feb-13 17:47:30

Your body. Your choice. End of.

ImNotaPheasantPlucker Sun 24-Feb-13 16:19:24

I was 40ish when I had mine done and felt such a rebel after being such a good girl for all those years! Ten years later and I hardly notice it's there

FellatioNels0n Sun 24-Feb-13 16:15:58

Yes. Unless you are Madonna. And even then it's probably best not to.

gingeme Sun 24-Feb-13 16:15:20

Go for It. As long as you Go to a reputable studio (better if its been recomended) do the after care exactly as your told who cares about your age. Life begins at 40 grin. I have many tattoos and with the money I got for my 40th I had a full back piece done and am still adding to It at the age of 42 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now