Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Booking my childrens birthday party on Mother"s Day

(39 Posts)
Awomansworth Fri 22-Feb-13 14:04:08

It is actually their birthday on this day and had booked the hall/entertainer before realising it was Mother's Day, I tried to swap but they were both booked for the Saturday anyway. It is late afternoon.

They are twins, in separate classes so have invited both sets of class mates (50 children.) Plus family and friends children.

I gave invites nearly two weeks ago (RSVP 3rd March) and have only had around 20 RSVP's.

The party will be great whether there are 25 or 55 children there, (probably less stressful too) but am now wondering wether it wa a mistake on my part booking it for this day as no doubt some of their friends won't be there due to other family commitments.

Would you go to a childrens party on Mother' Day.

LAlady Fri 22-Feb-13 21:50:24

Would decline a Mother's Day party invite (and have done so in the past). DD's birthday is around the same time and would always avoid Mother's Day for her party. We always get together with family.

Karoleann Fri 22-Feb-13 21:08:38

We always decline mothers/fathers day invites.

Midgetm Fri 22-Feb-13 20:36:51

YANBU to do it but expect less people to come.

CloudsAndTrees Fri 22-Feb-13 20:35:43

We have had mothers days that involve both DHs Mum and my Mum, and my our Nans. If we had something like that planned, obviously we wouldn't go to the party, but if it was a year where we didn't have particular plans, I'd be happy to have a party to go to.

MusicalEndorphins Fri 22-Feb-13 20:28:39

No, I am sorry, I consider Mothers Day and Fathers Day family days.

DoTheStrand Fri 22-Feb-13 19:31:39

DS1 got an invitation to a party on Mother's Day this year. The likelihood of DH remembering to (a) find out when Mothers Day is and (b) book a table for lunch was so small that I replied immediately with a yes.

In terms of attendance I think a lot would depend on whether you live in an area where people tend to stay near to where they grew up (so their own mums are near) or not (I don't really).

Bowlersarm Fri 22-Feb-13 19:26:15

I've just booked DS (he'll be 13 so not sure if age/stage of child comes into this if different) party on Mother's Day. All bar one child we have invited are coming and I did canvas the views of my mum friends before booking it whether it might be a problem or not and everybody said it wouldn't be a problem.

Rowgtfc72 Fri 22-Feb-13 19:26:06

I realised last week that Id booked DDs 6th birthday for Mothers Day. Weve only had a few invites back but we did give them out last day of term so am thinking they are still in the kids trays. I like the idea of having a day in lieu though! grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 22-Feb-13 19:24:48

It would depend on what we had planned.

Some years we would come, others we wouldn't if we were seeing family.

I would, we don't celebrate Mother's Day other than by sending cards to DM and DMIL.

BackforGood Fri 22-Feb-13 19:18:39

I would (well, would have - mine are all oder now grin), but a lot of people do make a big thing of Mothering Sunday, and, because of that, I wouldn't have had the party on that day. However, it sounds like a really good result to me, having around 20 - 30 dcs there, rather than 60+ shock

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 22-Feb-13 19:09:36

My kids would go too! (and DH would take them grin)

AdriftAndOutOfStardust Fri 22-Feb-13 19:05:36

I went to a party on mothers day last year. It was fine. There were a disproportionate number of kids there who had been brought by their dads, presumably giving the mums a mothers' day present of some free time!

drmummmsy Fri 22-Feb-13 18:59:31

i'd be saying thank you for 2 hours peace, and happy mother's day! wink

but that's just me - some might be traveling to see grandparents etc

Awomansworth Fri 22-Feb-13 18:56:15

Yes... I see that it will depend on family circumstances really.

They will be 5, so parents would prabably need to stay.

CockyFox Fri 22-Feb-13 18:25:37

It wouldn't be an issue for me as we don't do mothers day. However some people are very precious about it ( looking at you MIL) and wouldn't like a day thats all about them to be shared by another event.

TidyDancer Fri 22-Feb-13 18:23:13

I would take DS. Is it a party where the parents would have to stay? That might affect hw many you get.

We tend to do a Mother's Day breakfast with DM and MIL, so our afternoon would be free but people celebrate differently I suppose.

PuffPants Fri 22-Feb-13 18:18:46

I took DS to a party on Mothers' Day last year. I vaguely noticed the date when we got the invitation but, tbh, it's just another day and I don't expect a huge all-about-me fuss.

The previous year we were invited to lunch at a friend's house for her birthday.

jellybeans Fri 22-Feb-13 14:47:37

I wouldn't personally. I usually do saturday rather than Sunday. However if I wasn't doing anything I would happily send DC to the party. All depends what they have arranged. You always get alot of non reply-ers unfortunately.

specialsubject Fri 22-Feb-13 14:45:49

many days have some commercial nonsense attached to them now. Why is it an issue?

BramblyHedge Fri 22-Feb-13 14:44:32

Oh poo. I have done this as ds birthday is 10 March. Oh well.

Awomansworth Fri 22-Feb-13 14:40:44

Yes... Naively thought an RSVP by date would do the trick.

Should have written that no RSVP meant that if you turned up, your child might not be fed or get a party bag.

Still time I suppose.

Catchingmockingbirds Fri 22-Feb-13 14:37:15

Yes I would, 20 children have rsvp'd and usually a lot more come but just don't RSVP so I'm sure the numbers will be fine.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 22-Feb-13 14:35:35

Sorry to hijack i meant.

NewYearNewBoo Fri 22-Feb-13 14:34:40

<off to buy presents for twins> grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now