That Zero VAT children shoes need to catch up with the size of kids feet

(89 Posts)
Hopeforever Fri 22-Feb-13 09:44:57

Hooping that venting my frustration on here will save me venting in front of my DD as we struggle to find shoes that fit her, are age appropriate and VAT free

She is 10, the height of a 13 year old, 4 out of the 12 girls in her class are the same height as her.

But it's the shoes that really get me, she is size 6 1/2. Not suprising when mine are size 8 and I was that size by the time I was 13 over 30 years ago. So it's not a new thing even!

Yesterday I tried to find her some basic trainers. Most sports shops stopped at size 5. Clarks had just one style for her to chose, thankfully they fit.

Returning home I've looked at Clarks girls shoes web site and the only options on there for her are basic black school shoes (thankfully they go beyond her size) and one pair of trainers. Nothing else.

AIBU to think that as childrens feet sizes have grown over the last few decades, that the VAT rules should keep up?

On a positive note, the ladies in Clarks were lovely, an elderly lady was trying in kids trainers and they were so lovely to her, really thoughtful and caring.

elliejjtiny Fri 22-Feb-13 14:21:12

I think clothes and shoes in the "childrens section" should be VAT free and clothes and shoes in the "adult section" should have VAT included. I'm a size 4 shoe and I sometimes buy childrens socks but I don't mind them being adorned with butterflies and glitter grin

Hopeforever Fri 22-Feb-13 14:41:43

steppemum think you are right

Scholes34 Fri 22-Feb-13 15:19:47

I don't see why children's clothes that look like children's clothes shouldn't stay zero VAT rated and small adult clothes that look like adult clothes are not. Anyone who wants to let their child look grown up beyond their years can pay the VAT. Anyone who wants to buy zero VAT rated school shoes are welcome to.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 22-Feb-13 15:29:06

Yanbu.

All my over 12's end up in adult size footwear and clothing its a bugger finding them in age appropriate styles,I think its a total con that kids sizes tend to be aimed at the smallest kids in any age range.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 22-Feb-13 16:09:18

Oh and my feet are a size 5 but I would never wear shoes designed for children in a child's style.

I am an adult and I don't wish to dress like a child.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 22-Feb-13 16:12:02

Scholes, that can happen now - if the shop can show the/shoes are predominantly targeted at children then they can get a VAT exemption, it's up to the retailer to make the case for a certain range though.

Syd, at least sanitary products are only at 5% VAT rate these days.

5madthings Fri 22-Feb-13 16:13:05

My hunter wellies look no different to ladies ones, only they were £30 rather than £70! But its not hard to legislate for school shoes etc.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 22-Feb-13 16:26:00

5mad.

I'm actually really disappointed that the end gf your first sentence didnt say "only they have little frog eyes on the toe"

5madthings Fri 22-Feb-13 16:30:24

Lol my ds3 has ones with eyes and sharks teeth! Very funky but I opted for plain, maybe next time I should get funky ones grin

mysteryfairy Fri 22-Feb-13 16:34:05

The children's Hunters do have glow in the dark safety bits on them that aren't on the adult version! It's quite a subtle distinction though.

ouryve Fri 22-Feb-13 16:34:09

>>slim and nubile young women.

One of those moments when I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of anything.

5madthings Fri 22-Feb-13 16:35:32

Oh yes there is that bit, I hadn't noticed it on the adult ones, but quite frankly for the money I saved I don't care!

mysteryfairy Fri 22-Feb-13 16:39:55

No and at least you'll be safe and seen!

SkinnybitchWannabe Fri 22-Feb-13 16:40:52

My eldest ds aged 13 wears a size 10 shoe, 11 rugby boot and my 10 year old ds wears a size 8.5...costs me a bloody fortune!!

Remotecontrolduck Fri 22-Feb-13 18:16:08

Wow my feet are abnormally tiny looking at this thread, i'm 4 1/2!

I dont think they should waive the VAT for all 'kids' sizes, but certainly for all school shoes and glittery trainers etc, things that an adult isn't likely to want!

5madthings Fri 22-Feb-13 18:25:26

remote i am a size 4 smile

Remotecontrolduck Fri 22-Feb-13 18:33:38

5madthings phew, I'm not alone then!

Slightly different but still same gripe, what's with the VAT on school uniforms bigger than age 12-13 (or about that)? When DD was at school, as soon as she needed a bigger blazer from the special schoolwear shop age 14, it had tax applied? Wtf? What adult would possibly want a logoed regulation school blazer? That is obviously made for a child as it was worn by 11-16 year olds only...

That is something that needs sorting out.

DeWe Fri 22-Feb-13 18:40:13

I am a size 4.5-5 and I buy kids shoes often. In fact I rarely buy adult shoes.

I was surprised in M&S the other day to see the boys shoes went up to size 8. Dh is only an 9, and he's not small.

5madthings Fri 22-Feb-13 18:45:15

Yes vat on uniform is shite i have the same with ds1 who is 13 and its a school blazer with the soddin school badge on it!

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 22-Feb-13 18:47:40

I'm a 4 too!

I guess that's why I see the issue with overlap.

My DD is a child's size 9. She's 3. confused I suspect I will be paying VAT for her shoes before she leaves Infant school! hmm

Daughteroflilith Fri 22-Feb-13 18:57:38

Well, I'm a size 4, hate heels, and most of my shoes are ballet pump styles, so I do well in the children's section! smile

Scholes34, I'm not sure how your idea would work. Do you mean you would put VAT on "unsuitable" clothes that make children look old beyond their years, or just keep VAT relief for clothes that an adult wouldn't want to wear? There are plenty of things like plain denim jeans; a black T shirt; a plain purple jumper etc that would not be obviously childish but might be staples of a girl's wardrobe. A small adult might buy them, too.

I can quite understand why you would want a leopard print mini skirt for an 11 year old classified as adult, but if you would only exempt obviously childish clothes, poorer kids are going to be kitted out entirely in glittery stuff and things with pictures of kittens on!

Hopeforever Fri 22-Feb-13 19:25:20

DS aged 13 is a 9. I'm slightly more accepting that he's reaching the end of kids shoes.

It's obvious that having the cut off at 5.5 is not working. There must be a better solution so that adults don't get cheaper shoes than a ten year old

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 22-Feb-13 19:34:14

But school shoes for ages 10-14 aren't really the old mary Janes with a buckle and a 0.5in heel - they are more like sturdy ballerina pumps with a cross foot strap.

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 22-Feb-13 19:51:46

X post with daughteroflilith

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now