Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To just love, love, love West Side Story?

(40 Posts)
BegoniaBampot Wed 20-Feb-13 23:44:05

Just saw a excerpt on Film 2013 and has made me want to watch it again (and i've been on the vino'! LOVE IT!

Crinkle77 Thu 21-Feb-13 12:51:39

I love it. My fave is Tonight

I discovered when I heard an orchestral version on the radio the other day that I am, indeed, word perfect on almost every song grin blush

My DC are getting there too - our solution to a bad morning is to put the CD on and sing the Jet song at the top of our voices on the way to school.

BegoniaBampot Thu 21-Feb-13 13:07:22

Jet song is ace, POW!

FruitOwl Thu 21-Feb-13 13:08:55

YANBU at all, I love it too!

Saw it in the West End when I was about 17, the stage show is just fabulous

Maria, I've just met a girl named Mariiiaa...

bruffin Thu 21-Feb-13 13:11:46

There is lovely version conducted by Bernstein sung by Dame Kiri and Jose Carreras.

BegoniaBampot Thu 21-Feb-13 13:12:56

Bought that LP years ago for my mum, wonder what happened to it!

digerd Thu 21-Feb-13 13:13:45

I saw the midnight matinee 1st showing in 1962. George Shakiris was a brilliant dancer and perfectly acted in that role. I have seen it more than 10 times since then and always sobbed my heart out at the end. "America" was my favourite song and dance scene and Somewhere my favourite song

West side story is my favourite film of all time I have probably seen it 100s of times and never tire of it! Natalie wood was a wonderful Maria shame she couldn't sing so they got someone else to do it for her (sister Margareta from the sound of music) I love the dance scene and officer krupke song. I love baby john and everything else (can you tell I love it?!) smile

love it

we used to sing officer krupke in the car

And I always sing I feel pretty to dd (2) but change the lyrics to you are pretty grin

bruffin Thu 21-Feb-13 13:35:16

Marti Nixon dubbed all the great musical
My Fair Lady
The King and I
West side Story

Bruffin that recording annoys me - Jose Carrerras trying to do the NY accent - and some of the other casting too.

bruffin Thu 21-Feb-13 15:24:04

I liked it because I watched the documentary when they were making it endbi loved the passion behind and Leonard Bernsteins orchestration.

Dd has just been singing the Maria and Anity duet so I joined in. Must have sounded awful but we enjoyed it.

Think she may be open to My Fair Lady now.

eachtigertires Thu 21-Feb-13 15:25:38

Yanbu, I love it! Stage version though...

CambridgeBlue Thu 21-Feb-13 15:29:10

One of my favourites! My friends and I always used to sing songs from this when we were pissed got together so it reminds me of some very good times. The songs are a great mix of really happy/upbeat (eg I Feel Pretty, The Jet Song, America) and desperately sad (Somewhere). I saw the live show is coming here soon, very tempted but tickets are quite pricey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now