Smear Test Poster - Little Boy on stair - Mum didn't have test - now I have no Mum.

(153 Posts)
Granitetopping Wed 20-Feb-13 23:34:37

AIBU to think that this poster is in poor taste and uses unnecessary emotional blackmail?

Morloth Thu 21-Feb-13 01:06:41

Women are often givers and put themselves last, especially Mums.

When I think about dying, I am not afraid for myself, I am afraid that my children would be left without me and that would break their hearts and effect them for the rest of their lives.

I seriously doubt I am alone in this. So while I might put off a smear test because it is unpleasant and to be honest I don't fear death from a personal point of view. I will go through it, because it increases the chances that they will have their mum for longer.

Anything that gets women to take a bit of care for themselves is a positive in my book, even if they are doing it for other people.

DoJo Thu 21-Feb-13 01:09:18

The only reason the quotas exist is to incentivise the cheaper option of prevention rather than cure, which is also the option most likely to have actually cure the cancer - it works for the NHS and the patients, so why not?

YABU and yet not at the same time.

I know I really struggle with ads like this. I remember almost bursting into tears in a petrol station after they played an advert about stopping smoking which had a child's voice saying, "don't smoke mummy, I don't want you to die", which I just had to hear on the day my mum told me she had inoperable terminal lung cancer.

So yeah... I get why they do ads like that, but it can be really harmful if you are vulnerable.

RaspberryRuffle Thu 21-Feb-13 01:20:23

YABU - the point of the ad is to encourage women to go for their smear test and presumably is more effective than "Please do come along for your smear ladies if you can fit it in". So many women postpone them when 5 or 10 minutes could literally be a life-saving choice.
Similar tactics are used in road safety accidents or anti-smoking campaigns. Considering the outcomes portrayed are actually possible then I don't think they're in poor tasse at all.

IneedAgoldenNickname Thu 21-Feb-13 01:39:58

Sometimes adverts like that are needed, I have a couple of friends who put off their smear tests as 'they are uncomfortable' maybe this ad will make them think twice!

And this thread has reminded me that mine is due, so thanks smile

My friend who had cervical cancer last year posted that on facebook a couple of weeks ago. If it's okay for her, then it's okay for me. If a guilt trip saves a womans life then so be it.

All said and done, it's true. If you don't have a smear but have cancer, you will be diagnosed too late and could die, leaving behind your loved ones. Noboday wants that.

When I think about dying, I am not afraid for myself, I am afraid that my children would be left without me and that would break their hearts and effect them for the rest of their lives.

Hell yes. I realised I was a mother when, DURING A SMEAR my nurse found an issue. I was having a near panic attack thinking that my darling girl could grow up without a mother. Then I realised, hold on, I could die. Weird how things change when the small people turn up.

Have a smear everyone.

lottiegarbanzo Thu 21-Feb-13 04:02:20

The point is it's very treatable if caught early. So if you keep up with the smears, chances of developing untreatable cancer are very low. If left, it can become untreatable.

Jade Goody's case made people think about exactly this scenario and boosted uptake of smears. Probably that effect has worn off now and this campaign is an attempt to keep numbers up, referencing her case for those who might remember.

MercedesKing Thu 21-Feb-13 07:01:55

In fact I thought the ad target the right point, it worth it from aspects of saving lives. hmm

TheOldestCat Thu 21-Feb-13 07:11:56

That nanny state eh? Trying to save lives and all...

I shared this on Facebook. Had CIN 3 cells picked up by a smear a few years ago. I'm grateful for that nanny state.

SkinnybitchWannabe Thu 21-Feb-13 07:15:38

I hope it does shock more women into having their smears.
Jades death made me go after leaving it for 10 years..thank God I did, after 3 operations and a smear every year I have had the all clear for the past 4 years.
If a poster like this means we're in a 'nanny state' then so be it..I'd happily give bonuses for every sucessful treatment (ridiculous comment btw)

MissPants Thu 21-Feb-13 07:28:04

Well it's effective. Having had various annoying but ignorable symptoms myself for a few months (pelvic pain, irregular bleeding, period just arrived 3 weeks late etc.) I just, after reading this thread, decided to make a GP appointment this morning.

The thought of leaving my precious DC is terrifying, but I have spent months thinking in terms of "this is irritating but I can cope". I never once allowed myself to think how they would cope if I ignored this and it all went wrong.

So YABU, but thanks for popping this on here, I hadn't seen the ad myself.

LauraPashley Thu 21-Feb-13 07:31:20

I'm going for a smear today, put off 2 reminders because of work hours, childcare etc. only got finger out and booked because I saw the ad.

TheDeadlyDonkey Thu 21-Feb-13 07:49:10

I am due a smear test.
I saw this ad, and promptly booked myself in.
It works, so I'm ok with it, even though it is upsetting.

I think its good!

I was to scared to go for my smear and put it off for two years, i posted here and a very wise mumsnetter encouraged bullied me into going.

Whatever gets women to book and go.

Rosa Thu 21-Feb-13 08:06:21

If the add prevents 1 woman from dying of cervical cancer then its worth it.

diddl Thu 21-Feb-13 08:20:42

Is there still an age limit of 25 before your first smear?

Wonder if reducing that would help at all?

I thought that you were supposed to have them when you started having sex?

Or is that outdated now?

A woman I went to school with died from cervical cancer in her twenties, after refusing smear tests for years. She left 3 small children. She spent her last months campaigning to raise awareness - I think she would have approved of this. As do I.

YABU.

expatinscotland Thu 21-Feb-13 08:36:45

YABU. My daughter died of cancer. She was 9. What I find in poor taste are ads about cancer with smiley, happy actors so the least common denominator don't find anything in poor taste and also because those ads are a sack of shit.

Cancer, it's so unpleasant, isn't it, the way it just doesn't discriminate and anyone can get it. Let's try to pretend it doesn't happen, that'll make it go away.

JenaiMorris Thu 21-Feb-13 08:47:55

YANBU. I very much dislike emotive advertising for anything, from that dreadful John Lewis ad to the NSPCC one with the toddler rummaging through a bin. I resent attempts to pull on my heartstrings - I don't need dirgey music or photos of sad children to convince me to do or buy anything so it just pisses me off.

However having read the responses here I concede that these campaigns are effective so we are both BU.

HighJinx Thu 21-Feb-13 08:59:42

A few years ago I worked with a man who lost his 24 year old daughter to cancer. She had a 3 year old child at the time.

When she went to the GP with symptoms and asked for a smear test aged 22 she was told she was too young. The GP said she had an STD (without proper testing) and made all kinds of incorrect assumptions about her and her partner.

She kicked up a fuss but it took months and months to sort out and by the time she was 'allowed' a smear it was too late.

After she died her family sued and won a settlement and a full apology but it was small comfort.

So if the NHS are going to place adverts tugging at our consciences then they must follow through.

StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 21-Feb-13 09:03:36

The ad is doing what it needs to do - provoking a reaction, getting people talking and hopefully getting women to go for smear tests.
I was one of those that used to put it off because it was an embarassing and for me uncomfortable procedure. Eventually went and was diagnosed with the precancerous cells. Had the treatment and now clear for 3/4 years. Those few weeks between results and treatment were agony (and I didn't have children) and it made me profoundly grateful that it had been caught in time.
Since then I have also spent lots of time on Jo's Trust website and talking with other women about this topic.
The ad maybe shocking but it gets people talking openly about this topic and that is a good thing if it gets some women to go take their tests. Unfortunately if someone is vulnerable because of their personal family situation then I think there is going to be more than this poster that upsets them as they go through life dealing with their situation. We shouldn't avoid difficult and controvesial images/stories/topics for this reason as the overall benefit unfortunately I think does outweigh their personal grief.

Lemonylemon Thu 21-Feb-13 09:32:28

I've had to have a smear every year for 10 years following an op for cervical pre-cancer. If I hadn't have had my pre-cancer smears regularly, then my son wouldn't have his mum and my daughter would not have been born.

Yes, the doctor's surgery may be paid £X per procedure, but I think that moaning about that is cutting your nose off to spite your face. You're the one who may be at risk, not the doctor's surgery.

IneedAgoldenNickname Thu 21-Feb-13 09:41:24

diddl my gp surgery refused to key me have smears until I was 25, despite the fact I had 2 children. My Auntie was always telling me I should have them so was sexually active, but the Dr said no. That was around the time that jade goody died too, but the Dr still said I was too young. Thankfully when I had my first test it was clear, but I do think the age should be lowered.

I agree that the age should be lowered. I had my first smear when I was 18 but I lived in Wales then and I think the rules were different. I also have a family history of cervical cancer so that might have affected the decision too, I don't know. I've had one every 3 years since then and count myself lucky that I've only had an abnormal result once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now