To think that the "reusable nappy crew" are on par with the "breastfeeding only crew" when it comes to hysteria?

(351 Posts)
DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:00:40

They both come out with that old chestnut "it doesn't take extra time or energy".

The reusable nappy crew keep emphasising how much money they save. How the disposable nappy parents are "harming the environment" with their non-biodegradable nappies and baby poo.

They try to make disposable nappy parents feel bad IMO. The same way those breast feeding mad mothers do.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 20-Feb-13 21:37:24

Puds,

If I was asked I would say I bf because I'm lazy, bottle washing and having to get out of bed for night feeds does not appeal to me.

I also don't find the nappies more effort its just different its one extra load of washing they get put on the airer and I don't have to carry boxes of nappies from the supermarket

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Wed 20-Feb-13 21:38:04

I get what you're saying OP. can I throw BLW into the stirring pot too please? grin
<hard hat>

oldraver Wed 20-Feb-13 21:39:11

I've used disposables and cloth, they were the right decisions for me at the time, I'm not really that bothered by what other people use...I've only really had the cloth conversation once with someone who was having their second and wanted to use cloth but was erring toward disposables due to not wanting to tumble dry.. I told her about microfibre and she was adamant she didnt want 'polyester' next to her babies bum.... I was quite amused by that.

Its not something I had ever thought about previously but after using cloth the thought of parents wrapping up shit in plastic then chucking it in landfill does make me go yuck

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Wed 20-Feb-13 21:39:54

Oh! And also 'I dont allow my PFB to watch television'?

Booyhoo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:40:55

OP has someone said they are a better parent/person than you for using re-usables? who is making you feel this way?

i've both bottle fed and breast fed and used disposables and re-usables with two children and i have never had a comment from anyone about either choice being a worse or better choice (apart from the midwife when dcs were born)

is it possible you might have a complex about this rather than people actually being smug or going out of their way to make you feel bad?

Tallgiraffe Wed 20-Feb-13 21:42:25

Why would you care what another parent uses to keep urine and faeces contained? Why would you be discussing it, surely you have more to talk about?

FYI I cloth nappy. Not because I'm trying to prove a point, or make anyone feel bad, but because it works for us! We live a long way from a shop and I'm pretty disorganised so I know we'd run out of disposables, it's much easier to put the washing machine on than go shopping for me. Do what works for you, that's my view on most aspects of parenting!

youmaycallmeSSP Wed 20-Feb-13 21:42:41

'Elimination Communication' is flipping nuts.

<removes judgipants grin>

I did BLW with DS too. My medals are gleaming.

hmm

cloutiedumpling Wed 20-Feb-13 21:44:32

Please don't tar everyone with the same brush. I use washable nappies and BF but don't ram it down the throats of everyone I come into contact with. I don't find nappies or BF riveting conversation. You'll probably find that the people who are evangelical about using real nappies are in the minority of people who use them.

EwanHoozami Wed 20-Feb-13 21:44:53

I use reusables because I am a cheapskate with unmetered water and a Makro card for giant packs of non-bio. Nowt to be crowing about there, I fear grin

<passes peace pope to Olivia>

EwanHoozami Wed 20-Feb-13 21:45:11

^^PIPE.

FFS.

I did extended bf-ing because it was easy & free, and I used cloth nappies because they were cheap & I liked the cute covers.

Switched to disposables after dd2 though - 2 babies in cloth nappies at once was too much for me, cheap or not.

iwillsleepagainsomeday Wed 20-Feb-13 21:45:38

i just try to make life easy so I bf all the way (no bottles of any kind) and use disposables. I really admire people using cloth diapers although I did use cloth sanitary pads between dc2 and dc3 so ina way i did my part.

I also admire in a certain way people who have to ff during the night as I am faaaar to lazy for all the fuss. I would be hugely challenged to not be able to bf my dc to sleep (myself and dc).

hth

YouTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 21:45:40

Tbh, anyone who is evangelical about any subject is going to be a massive bore anyway.

WorraLiberty Wed 20-Feb-13 21:45:40

I once squirted my breasts out of the window of my massive 4x4 or pick up truck

A couple were changing their baby by the side of the motorway

They were using Pampers

This annoyed me

They deserved it.

WorraLiberty Wed 20-Feb-13 21:46:37

I won't ask what Olivia is supposed to do with a Peace Pope! grin

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:46:47

No booyhoo I don't have a complex about this. I have had a very long lecture today though about how I'm harming the environment and that reusables are so easy and "kinder" to use. Not a friend, just someone I bump into sometimes on a Wednesday evening.

MogTheForgetfulCat Wed 20-Feb-13 21:47:22

I've BF my 3 children, and used a mixture of cloth and disposables. I've never tried to make anyone feel bad about the way they do things. Unlike people who use the words "crew" (or "brigade" - ugh) about an amorphous group of people hmm. You sound paranoid and aggressive.

Tallgiraffe Wed 20-Feb-13 21:48:49

Peace pope grin does that need white smoke?

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:49:54

mog, I am really aggressive. <woof woof> <gnarls>

youmaycallmeSSP Wed 20-Feb-13 21:49:57

Avoid that person. There is no need to tolerate their monologues as they will be a dreadful bore in plenty of other areas too.

MogTheForgetfulCat Wed 20-Feb-13 21:50:58

In that case, why didn't you just tell this acquaintance to naff off grin.

missorinoco Wed 20-Feb-13 21:51:30

I also had much incredulity and a little derision when I used reusables.

I think it's best to give something obvious to people to criticise you for, otherwise they feel a need to go looking. A dummy did it for me.

Olivia - for you [white dove with an olive branch]

WorraLiberty Wed 20-Feb-13 21:51:52

Stay in on Wednesdays then

Problem solved grin

mumandboys123 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:52:23

so....people are not allowed to believe that using disposables is harming the environment and that the alternative is somehow kinder? And they're not allowed to voice their opinions?

Booyhoo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:53:07

this will make me look really stupid but there are 4 years between my dcs but to me it felt like a whole generation as i had changed so much between the two. anyway, with ds1 i was 19 and clueless and i thought all babies just ate baby jars so that's all i bought. i dont know why i didn't question it, i just didn't, not until he had a good set of chompers on him and i thought "he looks like he could handle toast" grin and then when ds2 was born, i was just so used to me and ds1 eating proper food that i completely forgot that food was supposed to be soft for babies and i automatically started giving him stuff off our plates. i didn't realise it was BLW until i saw a thread on MN. it was only after that i realised that people probably thought i was being oh so smug when they asked what he ate and i replied "just what we eat" with a confused look on my face (because in my thick head, what else would they eat? i'd fortgotten that purees and jars existed!) so yes people probably thought i was being smug and judgy when i was just being unbelievably thick. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now