Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the "reusable nappy crew" are on par with the "breastfeeding only crew" when it comes to hysteria?

(351 Posts)
DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:00:40

They both come out with that old chestnut "it doesn't take extra time or energy".

The reusable nappy crew keep emphasising how much money they save. How the disposable nappy parents are "harming the environment" with their non-biodegradable nappies and baby poo.

They try to make disposable nappy parents feel bad IMO. The same way those breast feeding mad mothers do.

kerala Wed 20-Feb-13 21:23:38

I got someone else to wash mine so I was green and lazy. I definitely win on the smug front (not that i was as who really gives a shit (ha))

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 20-Feb-13 21:24:44

Add message | Report | Message poster EeyoresGloomyPlace Wed 20-Feb-13 21:13:08
What is odfod? I've seen it three times today and am none the wiser.

Oh do fuck off dear.

Obviously I'm not telling you to fuck off just saying what it means

EwanHoozami Iran Wed 20-Feb-13 21:24:50

who on earth are these people who you think are judging on the basis of what others soak piss up with?

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:24:53

I did breast feed too and I managed to do it without giving anyone a lecture about it.

Booyhoo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:24:54

" I bet you I don't do more harm than a massive 4x4 or pick up truck does going up the M1 when I chuck a disposable nappy in the bin. "

do BFers and re-usable users all drive 4X4s or pick up trucks up the M1? confused

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 20-Feb-13 21:24:55

Also OP, I have never heard a breast feeder/reusable nappy user say it doesn't take extra time or energy, because it does. They both do.

However, they are both cheaper and easier than the alternatives.

You obviously just have a complex about your choices.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 20-Feb-13 21:25:42

How mighty of you Disposable, you truly are an inspiration to us all.

LimeLeafLizard Wed 20-Feb-13 21:25:56

Seriously, OP, this is a real non-issue for most people. Just not interesting to read about. Try writing about another topic.

lovelyredwine Wed 20-Feb-13 21:26:05

Disposable- It is annoying when people are being smug bastards about their 'better' parenting choices. Just ignore them.

The breastfeeding, reusable nappy brigade get it too. Apparently we'll never be able to go out without the child, ruin our breasts if we breastfeed, and are creating so much work for ourselves by using reusables! Just do what you want, and to use a mn classic, smile and nod (whilst ignoring them).

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:28:00

Why is it when you post something on here, people start psycho analysing you?

I don't have a complex about my choices. I'm annoyed that people think they are better than me just because they choose to use reusable nappies.

youmaycallmeSSP Wed 20-Feb-13 21:28:18

YABU I think but there are some seriously daft, ridiculously competitive parents out there who do this kind of thing so I can see why it would wind you up. Unless you're putting coke in your baby's bottle there's really no need for anyone to bang on about the benefits of their alternative parenting choices.

I BFed DS for over a year, DD is EBF and I use reusable nappies. Like honeytea said, I personally don't have the energy to be up all night working out formula and sterilising things and I use reusables because they're cheap and look pretty grin I'm not convinced about their environmental benefits given the amount of energy it uses to wash and dry them every other day, nor do I think using disposables is akin to coating your baby in petrochemicals. I really couldn't care less what other people do.

YouTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 21:28:28

I wanted to use cloth nappies but it would have been pretty much unworkable. December born twins. No washing machine until they were 4 years old. No heating (except a gas fire). And an already damp flat. Plus no money to send nappies out to be washed.

bumperella Wed 20-Feb-13 21:28:28

I use re-usables and didn't breast feed. I don't assume that people who prefer disposables are inferior/stupid/bad/whatever. I don't think how I deal with DD's poo/pee defines me as "the bees knees", in fact, I don't think it says anything about me at all.

Clearly I am a terrible human being because IF anyone asks (they do) then I would say I find them no hassle/absorbent/quick to dry/way cheaper/less landfill. Not because i've some deep-seated need to make people who use disposables "feel bad" but becuase it's true (FOR ME). But frankly I've better things to talk about than poo/pee containment so I'd only talk about it if someone asked.

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:28:42

LimeLeaf. Really? Hide the thread then hmm

Tincletoes Wed 20-Feb-13 21:29:01

I have resolved to not get wound up about anyone doing anything that does not affect my life

So go breastfeed, bottlefeed, use whatever nappy you like - just don't tell me what I have to do and we can all be happy.

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:31:09

Youthecat, this is the thing. Some people, like you, just can't use reusables due to circumstances. Why should you be made to feel bad about your choices?

Even in my ante natal classes we had a woman come in to talk about her reusable nappies and to tell us how much "better" they are than disposables.

Pfft, they're both wrong. Elimination Communication is the way now dahhlings grin

YouTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 21:33:46

grin at BeyondTheLimits

Don't worry though, Disposable, I've never let anyone make me feel bad about my choices/or lack of choices. smile

Smooshy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:34:22

I've never thought i was better than anyone when I used cloth. In fact I've had far more disposable users questioning and judging me for using cloth. When I used disposables no one said anything, even the parents that used reusables.

LimeLeafLizard Wed 20-Feb-13 21:34:31

You mean, don't buy the publication you write for?

You still haven't explained who, if anyone, has actually said anything to you about your choices, or what they said. Go on, tell us.

Shagmundfreud Wed 20-Feb-13 21:34:39

YABU

I used disposables. I made the choice out of laziness and tight-fistedness - didn't want to shell out up front for nappies.

But disposables are REALLY terrible for the environment.

I feel bad about it now. I probably created my own landfill site with all the nappies I used on my three children.

But I don't blame those people who are enthusiastic about reusables. Good for them. I'm glad someone's making the effort and trying to spread the word.

"I'm annoyed that people think they are better than me just because they choose to use reusable nappies".

Well - maybe they are less lazy and more caring about the environment than you. Suck it up. You made your choices. Accept responsibility for them.

drivingmisspotty Wed 20-Feb-13 21:35:32

Hmmm, I've never come across this in real life either I'm afraid, OP. Maybe you should ditch these judgmental friends you have and find more interesting people to hang out with. Even the woman who came to our NCT class to persuade us to use reusables was very laid back about it. She did use the term 'real nappies' though which I find super annoying for some reason, I think because my inner pedant is offended and wonders if disposables are therefore imaginary nappies...

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Feb-13 21:36:02

Peace and love

mumandboys123 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:36:36

Even in my ante natal classes we had a woman come in to talk about her reusable nappies and to tell us how much "better" they are than disposables.

but people are entitled to think and say that, aren't they? if she's promoting the use of reusables, it wouldn't really make sense for her to say 'here's some nice cotton nappies but I think you'd be better off using disposables'. Would kind of defeat the object! I prefer resuables. I prefer to breastfeed. I believe that there are infinite positive benefits to both. I don't believe, however, that either of those things separately or put together make me a 'better parent' than the next person. There is no judgement intended in saying 'I like breastfeeding and I think it's better for my baby than formula feeding'. It's just what I believe for my children.

I think you just need not to feel like you have to justify what you do with your children. But expect people to do just that if you get into conversation with them about these issues. That's normal.

Yfronts Wed 20-Feb-13 21:36:44

Actually i know plenty of people who use reusable nappies and non of them go on about it. Obviously it is better for the environment and kinder to the pocket.

Of course breast feeding is best but it's not something that is openly discussed in mixed BF/FF friendship groups because no one want to offend anyone else. We all know the facts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now