To think that the "reusable nappy crew" are on par with the "breastfeeding only crew" when it comes to hysteria?

(351 Posts)
DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:00:40

They both come out with that old chestnut "it doesn't take extra time or energy".

The reusable nappy crew keep emphasising how much money they save. How the disposable nappy parents are "harming the environment" with their non-biodegradable nappies and baby poo.

They try to make disposable nappy parents feel bad IMO. The same way those breast feeding mad mothers do.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 20-Feb-13 21:14:22

I use reusable nappies but I don't much care what other people do.

I've spent less than about £200 on nappies in 20 years as well as been given a few as gifts and used them on 8 kids,if I'm asked about it I'm happy to give info about them along with reusable San pro.

Why should that make anybody feel bad?

Springdiva Wed 20-Feb-13 21:14:32

Nappies ARE bigger than sanitary pads but the pads are used over 30 odd years, we should all be using moon cups grin

Bejeena Wed 20-Feb-13 21:14:35

What on earth? You are totally being UR! Why do you even care?

FlouncingMintyy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:14:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TattyDevine Wed 20-Feb-13 21:14:46

I used reusables for a while, also disposables and it does take a bit of extra time for reusables - and it does take more "energy" in terms of washing/drying, buying liners, and putting an extra layer (waterproof pants) over the top, plus possibly extra changes (although my son could go 12 hours in one)

Easy to get sanctimonious about such things; better to just outline the cost benefit analysis of a particular method when discussing things, if you know both sides, which I do.

Good to flush poo down the loo; (reusable) good to not buy so many nappies (reusable); good to have an all in one done with solution (disposable); good to know they are not feeling wet in the night (disposable); good to not cart a wet bamboo nappy the weight of a UFO in your bag when out and about (disposable)

Etc etc

Pros and cons for formula or BF too, ignoring the health statistics.

I think you can be an advocate of both/either/or without being an asshole, though to be fair your op said reusable ONLY so you may have a point there.

YouTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 21:14:54

I think some posters have missed the point. It's about being judgy arses about what other people do, not having a go because you choose to use disposable/reusable or whatever.

MsAkimbo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:15:25

I BF and use cloth nappies, but recognise that maybe not everyone does either or so don't say anything about it. Equally, I have friends who do the same as me, a combination of the two or neither. We all get on somehow.

To my family, I'm an "exhibitionist" and a "filthy hippie." So YABU to think one side is less vocal than the other.

FlouncingMintyy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:16:33

No, don't worry YouTheCat. I haven't missed the point of this thread at all.

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:16:58

Yes I know what goading is thanks, mintyy. Been here long enough to know. Unfortunately for you, I'm not shit stirring, I genuinely don't understand why women/men who used reusables think they're doing double or triple the amount to help the environment? They still have a carbon footprint don't they?

LimeLeafLizard Wed 20-Feb-13 21:17:21

Hello DisposableNappy. Have you namechanged for this thread or are you new to MN?

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 20-Feb-13 21:17:39

Hmmmm, funnily enough when I said I was going to use re-usable nappies it was the so called 'disposable crew' that scoffed and laughed and said I would quit hmm

Didn't though did I you arsey fuckers

IMO, it goes both ways.

Blessyou Wed 20-Feb-13 21:17:46

Again, so what?
You seem to have your choices all sorted.
Very nice.

TCOB Wed 20-Feb-13 21:17:52

OP - moaning about other people's judginess whilst parading your own prejudices is is generally known as tarring with the same brush. It also comes across as picking a fight. Which is dumb and childish. And reported FWIW.

thebody Wed 20-Feb-13 21:17:55

No I would never thrust my breast feeding down anyone's throat either!!! Eeek.

Bunnygotwhacked Wed 20-Feb-13 21:17:59

Has someone actually said something to you about you not using reusables or are you assuming reusuable users are sneering at you? Are you uncomfortable with the choices you've made which means you need to question the validity of other peoples actions in order to make yourself feel better because most people I've met bf/ff cloth or paper nappies generally couldn't give a fuck

FlouncingMintyy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:18:30

So why have you namechanged then op?

Dawndonna Wed 20-Feb-13 21:19:35

I used reusable nappies, they were called terry nappies back then. At that point the cost of disposables was prohibitive, but it was 28 years ago.

notenoughsocks Wed 20-Feb-13 21:20:32

YABU. I took the time to reply cos I was a bfeeding-cloth-nappy-user. But I think parent solidarity is more important than that. we all do what we think is best for us and our children, in our situation, in light of our priorities etc. Parenting is difficult enough without this sort of competitiveness/judginesss/cattiness.

(I bet I didn't manage to spell any of those last three right but you get my drift)

SirBoobAlot Wed 20-Feb-13 21:20:54

Reusable nappies are better for the environment, and better for the baby. That's a fact. And I say that as a disposable nappy user.

No point getting pissed over scientific facts.

Are you going around looking to be insulted?

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:21:09

mintyy if you're not going to engage in discussion, then you're free to hide the thread if this is too upsetting for you. hmm

gordyslovesheep Wed 20-Feb-13 21:22:10

did you change your name for this then?

I couldn't give a toss what people use to collect their infants poo and wee - and I have never met women who made a big deal out of it either - maybe find new friends OP

mumandboys123 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:22:12

I did both.

If you asked me, I would tell you why. Most people feign interest long enough to hold a basic discussion and then move on. Some people like to go into depth. The ones that like an argument and need to prove to me that formula feeding is fine (of course it is) or that reusable nappies are no better for the environment than disposable ones (depends on what matters to you personally) are the same people who have a need TO BE RIGHT about everything. I couldn't care less what people do with their babies and the choices they make. But if you don't want me to explain my reasons, then don't ask!!!!

And the best reason for not using disposables? It takes so long for a disposable to breakdown that every single disposable nappy that has ever been used is sitting in landfill. Nice.

Pilgit Wed 20-Feb-13 21:22:23

Each to their own. for what it's worth, they really aren't a faff - in our case only 1 extra load of washing every two days and you have to remember to change them more frequently so that the nappies don't reach saturation point. It's like potty training - it seems like an enormous faff and is scary, but when you've got the other side of it you wonder what you were worried about. That's probably why it comes across as judgey because it really isn't an enormous faff. However, we all have different circumstances and it is no one's place to judge the decisions others make.

GingerbreadGretel Wed 20-Feb-13 21:22:52

Bunny, am not the OP but had at least three people who went on and on and on at me about reusables. None of whom even had kids yet! Though to be fair, I think they have gone on to use re-usables now they have kids.

BikeRunSki Wed 20-Feb-13 21:22:57

I use cloth nappies.
I didn't bf either baby for more than 2 weeks (during which time, ironically, they were in dsiposables)
I am not hysterical about anything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now