Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the "reusable nappy crew" are on par with the "breastfeeding only crew" when it comes to hysteria?

(351 Posts)
DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:00:40

They both come out with that old chestnut "it doesn't take extra time or energy".

The reusable nappy crew keep emphasising how much money they save. How the disposable nappy parents are "harming the environment" with their non-biodegradable nappies and baby poo.

They try to make disposable nappy parents feel bad IMO. The same way those breast feeding mad mothers do.

Theicingontop Fri 22-Feb-13 16:45:22

I used reusables with DS, and they were a massive, massive pita. Oh god I hated them so much.

DS didn't fit into the birth-to-potty pack I'd bought for SIX MONTHS, so I had to buy disposables until then anyway, and when he finally fit in them I found them to be a bloody nightmare. None of his clothes fit, his mobility was reduced from the bulk of them (and I bought a top of the range kit, that professed to be the slimmest-fit and lightest weight reusable nappy available - yeah, right) and the drying time sometimes took two days if I didn't tumble dry them, which was what was advised to 'extend the life of the bamboo cotton'.

I'm going to try again with number two, but I'm going to make my own this time.

But, OP, I can't say I've ever experienced what you're complaining about. In fact I was given the hmm face from my friends when I did say that I was going reusable. "What, you're going to have POO in your WASHING MACHINE? You're disgusting!!!" - I'd say there's more judgement from the other side.

AmberSocks Fri 22-Feb-13 16:49:15

i use washable nappies and have for all of mine,except when i had 3 under 2 all i nappies,that was a bit much.

I like them,i like that i dot have to worry if ive ran out of nappies(although i do still have to make sure i have clean ones)

they also look super cute in them,ad i imagine they feel nicer on a babies soft little bum.

nickelbabe Fri 22-Feb-13 17:33:01

icing - i assume those friends also throw away the vests when they've had a pooplosion....

TheBigJessie Fri 22-Feb-13 17:40:08

OxfordBags:
"Yes, a few smug bores like to drone on, but there are far more chip-on-shoulder merchants ^( stares pointedly at the OP )^"

This.

WitchOfEndor Fri 22-Feb-13 18:01:46

Thanks nickelbabe for explaining where the word comes from.

It still doesn't make me like it when people use it in a pejorative way against women who are just holding an opinion!

crocoldile Fri 22-Feb-13 18:12:17

I was part of the reusable nappy 'crew' because it worked for me and was a damn sight cheaper than putting my twins in disposables.
I was also never part of the breast feeding 'crew' because I never wanted to do it.
The two 'crews' do not always go hand in hand!

OutsideOverThere Fri 22-Feb-13 18:23:09

Oh I did the reuseables with ds1. It's a hard water area and they resembled concrete within a few months. Poor ds.

I kept going for ages. I kept them to use for any more babies...did it for about a week with ds2 and ds3 hasn't even seen what one looks like.

However I did breastfeed ds2 till he was at school - hmm. I like to think I'm not militant about anything really...lots of people are a mish mash of different things OP, don't get so worked up.

Fwiw I bumped into a friend the other day who is using formula with her fourth after 3 kids she breastfed - she said it is so much easier. I can't imagine it being easier - I run out of plates daily, I'd run out of bottles just the same. But if it works then bloody go for it.

PurplePidjin Fri 22-Feb-13 18:39:01

Tbh, i find it a lot easier to bung on an extra nappy wash every couple of days than to drag a baby plus a giant bag of nappies plus a pushchair plus a changing bag plus whatever other shopping back from town and up the stairs to my flat.

Be a different matter if i lived in a big posh house and drove to the supermarket hmm

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 22-Feb-13 21:35:10

For anybody that's interested in a hard water area nappy stripping will get rid of the stiffness in the nappies as will using a ecoegg instead of detergent

iwantanafternoonnap Fri 22-Feb-13 21:41:44

I couldn't breastfeed as nearly died in childbirth and massive complications after. Bottle feeding as a faff and more work. I used reusable nappies and did not find them much more work tbh.

I felt extremely judged because I didn't breastfeed. Reusables are very bad for the environment and yes I do feel good that I used reusables but haven't made any judgements on those that don't but I will always say how great they were. My DS was potty trained at 19-20 months as wellwink

nickelbabe Fri 22-Feb-13 22:09:25

oh, witch I hate it too.!

nickelbabe Fri 22-Feb-13 22:12:13

I hope it was just how you felt and not that you actually were jydged nap
sad

Oh yes nap - every cloth bum baby I know is potty trained sooner. My 10 month old has just started pooing on the potty. Smug

JollyGolightly Fri 22-Feb-13 22:43:40

I think you should work on being secure in your own choices; then you can be happy for others who enjoy the choices they have made. This will feel nicer than being all cross.

elizaregina Fri 22-Feb-13 23:03:31

I am sure some studies have been done and hushed up that actuallyu there isnt that much in it when it comes to disposable and cloth. Even at 30 O.

I often wonder if there arnt some people who are more toxic just being them, to the planet than anything else they could possibly do.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 22-Feb-13 23:29:24

Eliza most of the studies done are readily available online

I am sure some studies have been done and hushed up that actually

Yes, by the mighty cloth nappy lobby hmm

Aethelfleda Fri 22-Feb-13 23:58:54

OP, YABU. I assume that the judgey pants you are wearing today are actually reuseable ones? Yep, thought so. Let me cloth bum my baby If I want to, without it undermining you.

<strokes the troll>

Illustrationaddict Sat 23-Feb-13 00:01:47

With having admittedly only read a few of the posts, I use disposable, BUT I figure that you use loads of electricity and chemicals washing reusable ones, and also is your baby more prone to nappy rash with reusables? if you're gonna pollute either way, take the easy option I reckon!

Anyway I was wondering, is there a way they could be incinerated in a council nappy collection service? Or is this worse again for the environment?

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 23-Feb-13 00:19:07

No nappy rash is not more common with reusables

Illustrationaddict Sat 23-Feb-13 00:36:30

I'm just going on my mums experience, she said my brothers & I always got it quite badly, but she's noticed her grandchildren who have all had disposables have not had it which I can confirm for my dd. maybe she didn't change us fast enough?

JollyGolightly Sat 23-Feb-13 03:33:02

Illustration, that is quite likely. Nappy rash is caused by poo and wee together in contact with the skin, which can happen in any sort of nappy if it isn't changed fast enough. DS1 was a stealth pooer when he was younger so he sometimes got a rash before I realised he had performed.

Thumbwitch Sat 23-Feb-13 03:37:40

Visualise, I had DS1 in cloth until he could dress himself but he'd been in disposables overnight for a while by then - but he wasn't toilet-trained until he was 3.9. I think I put him in pull-ups when he was about 3.4 but I can't actually remember blush. So, not all cloth-users toilet train early. smile

PolkadotCircus Sat 23-Feb-13 07:30:39

I tried washables with my twins and after detergent,washing,liners,creams and drying there was nothing in it. It is bad for health to have loads of wet things hanging around so I had to use a dryer,I would only use Ecover which is £££££vetc,etc.

Unless you use a nappy washing agency there isn't enough in it environmentally and financially imvho.

I used Eco disposables,best of both worlds.

CheerfulYank Sat 23-Feb-13 08:02:34

I just bought my first batch of reusables! Can hysteria be far behind?! grin

I plan on cloth-diapering, nursing, co-sleeping, and doing BLW with this one.

I did NONE of those things with my other DC (born in 2007). I'm in different circumstances now, mainly, I'll be staying home with this baby whereas I was working when DS was a baby.

Do I plan on evangelizing about it? Do I care what other people do? A resounding "no" to both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now