to be furious with the holiday club and the selfish mother

(76 Posts)
Domjolly Wed 20-Feb-13 18:58:34

so ds (13) was at his holiday club today when in the car i asked him how his day had been

he told me that some mum had booked 8 children in and also given birthday invites to 8 of the children that are regulars and are already regsitered

and paid for then all and then at luch time came back with a cake and mc donalds just for the said children shock whilest the other children at the hoilday club just had to watch them having there birthday party

so basically instead of paying for cenetre to put on a party the mother used the hoilday club as a cheap way of having a do

i am pissed of with the hoilday club for letting it happen and also what kind of mother would do that so 9 other children could stand and watch.

it was ds last day today thank god or i would be having words just out of order

Cuddlyrunner Wed 20-Feb-13 19:30:49

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with it, Child is asked what he wanted to do for birthday, he picks the centre, Mum books kids in and provides party food for their lunch.
How old was the child though? I don't think a 13 year old would have wanted the whole party bags and caboodle type affair.
If I go out to Frankie and Bennies for example and someone has a birthday cake, I don't get a stressie on.

ENormaSnob Wed 20-Feb-13 19:31:12

So is it paid childcare then?

If so then I don't really think its at all comparable to soft play or bowling etc.

WorraLiberty Wed 20-Feb-13 19:33:08

I took my 13yr old and my 10yr old bowling the other day

The kids in the lane next to us were celebrating a birthday

Should they not have done that because there were other kids around? confused

germyrabbit Wed 20-Feb-13 19:36:13

yes of course there are differences hmm

a paid for holiday provision should treat all children equally and fairly and you could go on about healthy eating if you really wanted to make a point

i suspect the 13 year old was more jealous of the mds lunch than the hats

Cuddlyrunner Wed 20-Feb-13 19:36:34

I get the impression it is a holiday club that you can dip in or out of providing you are initially registered.
If it provides all those different activities I guess it would have seemed like a great treat for birthday boy, I certainly would have considered it when mine were that age.
Lots of activities, somewhere to have lunch and other adults there to supervise :-)

TomArchersSausage Wed 20-Feb-13 19:38:00

How old were the party children?

I don't think I'd (or rather dc) be too perturbed by this tbh.

Domjolly Wed 20-Feb-13 19:40:26

Cuddlyrunner the hoilday club my son attends is from 10- 15 years Its a sports thing they also have a football school on fridays

Domjolly Wed 20-Feb-13 19:42:36

ENormaSnob no you pay for which days you want on certian days they do certain sports have coachs pand youth workers mostly sports but on mondays they do mixing and dj ing

Domjolly Wed 20-Feb-13 19:43:40

You can pay for for whole day of half a day

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 20-Feb-13 19:45:25

Is it you that's upset or your ds?
Because I honestly don't think when my ds was 13, he would have given a shit.
The ones that were 'left out' were in the majority, why would they even be bothered by a bit of birthday cake and MacDonalds?

cory Wed 20-Feb-13 19:46:00

So no child younger than 10 will have been upset by this party? I think they should be able to handle it at that age.

Yes, possibly bad form on the part of the organisers, but hardly worth getting furious on behalf of children who are old enough to have a mature and independent approach to life's little injustices.

germyrabbit Wed 20-Feb-13 19:47:21

whatever professionally it's not a good policy to allow this, would a school?

holidays clubs have to be professionally run these days and there are policies/rules etc that should be met.

lastSplash Wed 20-Feb-13 19:49:41

This sounds completely fine and I don't see any problem at all.

They are 13 not 5.

wigglesrock Wed 20-Feb-13 19:50:53

I'm a bit confused - is the birthday party just the Mum paying for 8 extra kids then bringing in cake and McDs for their lunch?

No, can't really see the huge problem, its a bit cheeky but also quite a good idea. Do they other attendees bring their own lunch in if they're there for the whole day?

CheerfulYank Wed 20-Feb-13 19:51:12

The OP never said her son was upset...

Cuddlyrunner Wed 20-Feb-13 19:51:42

It's not a school though, it's a club selling spaces for its activities. Mum bought spaces for eight children for the day and brought in their lunch. It just happened to be Macdonalds and birthday cake.
I don't think OP said that they did birthday party games or anything with them. How old was the birthday child????

Domjolly Wed 20-Feb-13 19:52:58

No my ds is not upset he was a little gutted that he didnt get some cake but I AM NOT happy and dont think this is good form at all

Domjolly Wed 20-Feb-13 19:54:49

I have no clue how old the birthdy child was/is because ds sighned himself out and meet me by the pool for his swimming lesson after and i dint really ask the age

Cuddlyrunner Wed 20-Feb-13 19:56:21

Ask now.
I still think it was just as I put in my post above yours.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 20-Feb-13 19:57:17

I doubt he was gutted about not getting party cake Op.
He is 13.
I think you're projecting your feelings on to this, let him be a teenager.

whois Wed 20-Feb-13 19:58:27

OP get a grip.

Mum paid for birthday boy and friends, and bought them in some cake. Feel free to take in a special lunch for your DS tomorrow.

What the fuck is your problem? That your precious ickle perfect thirteen year old snowflake didn't get a mouthful of cake? If someone had take a bag of sweets in and shared them with their friends, not the whole camp, would you be pissy?

I

YABU & over reacting massively. not good form ooher

This is real world stuff. I agree it would've been nice if the cake at least had have been for everyone, but then someone would've been on here saying

^I paid to send my DS to a sports based holiday club & some evil witch force fed him cake, CAKE! I only allow organic carrots. Aibu to complain?!'

Never mind if she'd brought them all Maccie Ds!

grin

merrymouse Wed 20-Feb-13 20:01:09

I doubt that the 13 year old has been traumatised, but I too would be mildly annoyed if I had paid for my child to take part in something like this.

Age has nothing to do with it. Imagine that there are 17 of you in a department, and somebody brings in cake and fizz for 8 while the rest of you munch your sandwiches/work. It's just plain bad manners, whether the participants were 8 or 80.

germyrabbit Wed 20-Feb-13 20:02:24

wow some anger managment issues from some posters on this thread

Domjolly Wed 20-Feb-13 20:02:32

LadyBeagleEyes oh yes if forgot you mo my ds better than me silly me seeing as yu no him better can you tell me what tariners i should get him tomrrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now