Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think that she might be being deliberately difficult about this?

(55 Posts)
100DaysofSummer Wed 20-Feb-13 16:02:38

Not too sure how to explain this well.

Basically as a child we had a children's Bible in the house, this was 30+ years ago, a beautiful big thick hardback book with beautiful detailed illustrations, it had belonged to my older db and dsis but I would spend hours reading it and looking at the pictures long after they'd left home.

My ds goes to Catholic school and I decided to ask my dm and df if I could borrow the book to read to ds to help with his learning. They didn't know where it had gone but thought db or dsis may have had it. I text dsis asking if she had 'that children's bible we all had'. She did but told me 'it was hers and dbs and why was I asking'. I explained I'd like to borrow it for ds to read. It does actually mean a lot to me I've been searching for a vintage copy on ebay but would love to just look at that one again. She said it was in the loft somewhere and it wouldn't be quick find as she was doing x, y, z over the next few weeks but that I could get children's bible anywhere. I know that but it's not the same, I can still remember the smell of that book, it really was beautiful.

Anyway, it probably seems like no big deal, but I'm wondering if she's being deliberately unhelpful. It's the way she corrected me to say it was 'hers and dbs'. The dynamics of our family are a bit odd. Dsis and Db are over 10 years older than me, dsis moved out of home when I was 5 or 6 and db ws always out at work so I was almost like an only child. We all had a crap upbringing but their's was considerably worse in some ways. However my childhood was no bed of roses to the point that I've needed counselling as an adult.

Dsis also had a DC when I was 8 or 9 and moved back into home, I loved my d nephew but we almost had a brother sister relationship and I don't think I was too hot on sharing with him. She really resents me for this and loves to remind me of things I said or did when he was little, like making him move out of 'my' chair or wanting to put the star on top of the Christmas tree which I admit I was probably being a brat, but I was at most a young teen. She doesn't like to remember how she would purposely get him to hit and kick me when he was a toddler to wind me up, and how I gave up my bed and room for them to move back in for months on various occasions and slept on cushions on the floor.

There's loads of things that have gone on I'd need to write a book and might end up drip feeding.

100DaysofSummer Thu 21-Feb-13 15:20:13

Quite possibly worse, we do have our moments though.

We tend to just stick to birthdays, Xmas and special occasions.

Jux Thu 21-Feb-13 14:10:31

It does sound like you'd have a happier time if you just kept in touch with your brother and left her and her resentment to stew together.

Morloth Thu 21-Feb-13 10:18:28

Is having her in your life making it better or worse?

Morloth Thu 21-Feb-13 10:16:43

It sounds like she is carrying a lot of resentment and hurt and is directing it at the wrong person.

100DaysofSummer Thu 21-Feb-13 09:25:39

That was the least of it about the wedding. There were the
5 hen dos that had to turn into 3 because nobody cared. She's never forgiven me for saying I might not be able to attend het spa weekend due to funds, I did go but only after I was accused of spending all my money on designer clothes, which I don't, and prioritizing my ds Clarkes shoes. And I endured the weekend being digged at about how I nearly didn't come. Even though I never nearly didn't come I just suggested at the beginning I might have to look at money. Then there was the week long wedding which meant we all had to book hotels to attend the rehearsals. She made a dig at my do while she was standing at the altar, we saw her mouth to her dh, why the Fuck is he wearing a grey shirt. Apparently I wasn't a good bridesmaid. So of course this is the perfect revenge for me being such a crap sister.

DeepRedBetty Thu 21-Feb-13 09:00:59

Okay, I take it back. She hasn't remotely grown up a bit has she? grin That story should be in the Bridezilla's thread collection!

Your own family is the most important thing in all this, that is you and your son. Good luck x

100DaysofSummer Thu 21-Feb-13 08:53:38

Thanks imnotmymum, not harsh just true, despite me having a moan about dsis typing this thread has ultimately made me put things in perspective, the bible is not mine and whether she's a pain in the arse or I'm a pain in the arse would take years of family counselling to resolve, we all have resentment sadly over different things, but the book is hers and she's the right to say no or lend it to me at het leisure. But I know logically I can choose another special Bible for ds.

Longdistance Thu 21-Feb-13 08:29:34

Next time she needs a favour, just don't oblige <immature emoticon>

imnotmymum Thu 21-Feb-13 08:28:45

I know this seems harsh but to move forward you need to let go of the past. I understand that your childhood was not great but you have your own family now and IMO I would let it go and make memories of your own with your family. Good luck!

100DaysofSummer Thu 21-Feb-13 08:24:02

I definitely will get a copy, thanks x

Delayingtactic Thu 21-Feb-13 08:19:37

Abe books have loads of them if you want smile

100DaysofSummer Thu 21-Feb-13 08:11:53

Just buy a new one. That one was never yours in the first place. Accept it and move on, I don't mean to be harsh but I feel for your dsis having been in a similar situation

I did think I might get mostly replies like this which is why I thought I may end up drip feeding, but didn't want to post my whole life on the op just to prove that Dsis can be difficult!

I honestly do understand that it's not mine even though it may have felt so as I don't remember it been given. And I really am not grabby, in fact I can only imagine when my Dps pass away I will probably take nothing as everything will belong to and mean more to DB and Dsis as they had a whole 10 years or so before I existed. And I won't say anything because I am not confontational.

100DaysofSummer Thu 21-Feb-13 08:07:12

And the things is, it's possible thaat she's not even being difficult about the Bible at all. Now that she's corrected me about who it belongs to she might be happy to lend it to me. She knows I'm responsible and look after things, and she knows I would give it back.

But my own resentment is coming out about her resentment. But I certainly won't say anything I'm not opening a can of worms. I'm actually really glad that she's got it and it isn't in the tip or given to a cousin.

NellysKnickers Thu 21-Feb-13 08:06:31

Whoops sorry, see the thread has moved on. Just ignore me grin

NellysKnickers Thu 21-Feb-13 08:05:11

Just buy a new one. That one was never yours in the first place. Accept it and move on, I don't mean to be harsh but I feel for your dsis having been in a similar situation.

100DaysofSummer Thu 21-Feb-13 07:59:34

her getting the abdabs at you when you wanted a job at the petrol station was a long time ago and hopefully she's grown up a bit

Unfortunately nothing has changed. that was 10 or more years ago, I was supposed to be taking my Dnephew on holiday a few years ago, and unfortunately due to problems with my pregnancy at the time I had to cancel, I got all the money back off the insurance and promised to rebook and take him once baby was born, but she kicked off, screaming at me down the phone what was I even thinking of getting pregnant with this booked, she hoped me and 'it' would be bery happy together, she didn't speak to me for about a year and borrowed £££ from my DB so that she could take Dnephew on holiday.

When she had her wedding DB couldn't go as their baby was due at the same time and the wedding was miles away, she was disgusted that they'd planned a baby knowing she was getting married, I'm the only one who went to the wedding but she still hates me.

100DaysofSummer Thu 21-Feb-13 07:50:21

Thanks for all the replies and links I have been reflecting on what everyone has said and taking it on board. And do realise that I have no rights to the Bible and that it probably isn't a good idea to borrow it anyway as ds may get attached to it. It is more my own attachment to the Bible than being practical. The Bible was The Golden Children's Bible 1965.

As for regard the relationship with my family, I really don't think that anything in the family home is up for grabs, I am perhaps not explaning myself very well.

When I initially enquired about the Bible I didn't realise it belonged to DB amd Dsis, I knew somewhere in ther back of my mind it probably did due to our ages, but even DM and DF couldn't remember who's it was or even if she had given it away to a cousin. My DB didn't know what had happened to it and it was only on asing Dsis that I was corrected and told it was theirs. My only memory of it was reading it as a child and it being in the house, I was probably not born when it was given to them. From my perspective nothing belonged to me as everything I had was passed down from my siblings and I have taken absolutely nothing from my parents home wheareas DB and Dsis have taken photos, books etc.

What is hurtful however is that Dsis uses any opportunity to stick the knife in about my meer existence and have one up so to speak. I know that if the Bible had been in DBs possession he would have absolutely no issue with me borrowing it, or seeing it as a shared book that we all used as he simply doesn't hold the same resentment towards me.

There are just so many issues within my family, we are all a bit messed up by our upbringing in different ways. Dsis was always resentful to me for having the 'better life', she left home at 16 and I think she felt as though she wasn't part of the family. She also didn't speak to my DF for about 6 years at one time and she doesn't go round for visits now only pops in on occasion. What she doesn't realise is that we wern't all having a lovely time while she was gone, it was horrible at home. I remember the time she stopped speaking to DF, she'd come to visit and she'd been beeping her horn outside which resulted Dsis and DF having a huge row in the stairs and her storming out. After she'd gone home though we were still all there, and that day DB and I returned home from work to my DF shouting and screaming that he's going to get this family in order, I was on my phone as I walked in and he took it off my and smashed it up the wall.

She thinks people are conspiring against her, if she texts me and I don't text back say my phones in another room she rings DM to see where I am as she thinks I'm purposely ignoring her. If there's some news and she isn't the first to hear she accuses everyone of leaving her out. But it really isn't like that. My DM and DF never visit or ring any of us, we always have to be the ones to ring them and visit them but she will create a big drama over how she's being left out, but we're all left out. I'm the only person out of our entire family who went to her wedding. I actually think my DB suffered the most out of the 3 of us.

I know it all runs far deeper than an old Bible.

Jux Wed 20-Feb-13 22:42:30

This one any good?

Cubtrouble Wed 20-Feb-13 22:22:42

I found the bible link I was talking about.

Ad it's not as much as I remember!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Childrens-Barnes-Leatherbound-Classics/dp/1435141911/ref=sr_1_22?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361398838&sr=1-22

It's got gold edge paper and was lovely.

DeWe Wed 20-Feb-13 21:40:12

I think things you are given as children do belong to the child they are given to, not their siblings. Otherwise the first one to have children would claim all the treaured things saved. If it had been your mums then you would (to my mind) have equal claim (unless she'd given it especially to one) but if it was given to your sister then you have no claim on it. Hope that makes sense?

It wasn't Bible Stories by David Kossoff was it? About A4 size and an inch thick? That was one we loved as children. I may have a spare copy around though, as my dm said she'd lost it, and I bought her a spare copy, and I think (though I might be wrong) she then found it.

DeepRedBetty Wed 20-Feb-13 20:44:58

As you have already said OP there's a lot of unresolved crap in your relationship with your siblings, you did warn us!

Re those photos, if you really want them and your sister is the only source you're going to have to go round to get them; her getting the abdabs at you when you wanted a job at the petrol station was a long time ago and hopefully she's grown up a bit.

Hold fast to the most important thing, none of this is your fault, and I doubt that it's her or your dbs fault either. Focus on making your own family a success. <sorry to sound like a self help manual blush>

Cubtrouble Wed 20-Feb-13 20:41:58

I have seen somewhere recently an amazing childrens bible with beautiful colour illustrations and gold embossed cover, (I am not religious in the slightest but I wanted to get it for my baby ds and didn't have my purse with me)

For some reason families are strange, we have a similar thing over a poxy plastic jeep lol but in my opinion these things are not worth arguing/stressing and falling out over. See if you can find an amazing bible and make memories together for your children. That will mean more to them than one they have to give back later.

If I can find said copy of amazing bible I saw I shall post a link

nickelbabe Wed 20-Feb-13 20:35:20

it sounds like a really awful situation to be in.

my own tuppence worth.
forget about that Bible. your sis obviously resents you for reasons of her own making, and she's trying to make this a bigger issue. i'd guess that she thinks you took everything by being born and you're not getting them too!
even betterthat you are attached to this book.

I don't say it lightly because I'm obsessed with books and regularly adopt books that have been abandoned by their owners (ie byy 2nd hand)

I think you should buy your family a bible. one that your children can call their own one day. it'll mean so much more to them because it's your special book. and it'll mean.more to you because it will have your family's memories to it.

Jux Wed 20-Feb-13 20:33:45

An aunt gave my brother the Sgt Pepper album. Though we all listened to it, and enjoyed it, and had free access to it, it belonged to my brother.

It would never have occurred to any of us that we had any right to it, that it belonged to anyone other than my brother.

Perhaps your idea that whatever is in the family home is up for grabs, is what lies behind your sister's refusal to lend your the Bible?

MariusEarlobe Wed 20-Feb-13 20:22:08

"although I don't really feel like that about things, in terms of who they belong to, not childhood things. Anything that came from the house I see as belonging to the family"

Is that a usual reaction though?

My parents still live in the home i was born in, there are things that belong to me there, things that belong to them, things that belong to my dd and siblings. They belong to the individuals in the house. There are things bought for christenings and birthdays and Christmas or just given by relatives or just bought with pocket money or on days out, they belong to the people they were given to not the family.

I'm not having a go by the way, its a genuine question to all not just op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now