Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask your occupation and how much you earn....

(550 Posts)
Cannierelax Mon 18-Feb-13 18:33:46

Just being nosey!

raisah Thu 21-Feb-13 05:03:34

Jamaisjedore- thats quite low for HE teacher & researcher as you can get more here particularly in uni of London. The outgoings are horrendously expensive so will cancel any salary benefit. My childcare is £85 per day for 2 dc, travel card £200 & £900 for my mortgage monthly.
I earn £22k p/t HE administrator & I love my job so put up with the outgoings.

PanicMode Thu 21-Feb-13 05:37:44

Very surprised there aren't more commercial property professionals on the thread. I was on 85k when I left 2 years ago - would have been into 6 figures plus bonus if I hadn't kept leaving to have children!

MercedesKing Thu 21-Feb-13 06:21:37

Website editor, two thousand two hundred yuan per month in Wuhan, China, Working as a slave indeed!!! grin

LalaSalama Thu 21-Feb-13 07:18:39

Chartered accountant with 20+ years of experience, work part time as Finance Manager of a charity FTE £30K. Do masses of unpaid overtime.

blondecat Thu 21-Feb-13 07:35:42

Nothing

Previously from 30k starting out to 70k in junior roles in finance. Working up to 16 hours / day at first

Last job was 56k in semi public sphere but it was hell

DH "rescued" me and promptly decamped overseas so I am now reliant on him. He is lovely but it is scary

Dededum Thu 21-Feb-13 08:51:25

Was city solicitor - commercial property. On 69k when I left in 2005. Have had various p/t roles since then but not as a solicitor. Most of my com prop friends got made redundant in 2009/2010, most of them have roles now but not on as much money as they were earning. None of them have kids, was surprised at how financially exposed they were when thy got made redundant.

PseudoBadger Thu 21-Feb-13 08:58:18

EHO - £20,000 for 24 hrs a week (£32k for full time).

ivanapoo Thu 21-Feb-13 09:07:11

I work in marketing, have done for almost 10 years and am "only" on 40k - but for the area of marketing (and the country) I work in this is actually pretty good.

daffsarecomingup Thu 21-Feb-13 09:12:11

teacher. £29,000 pro rata, but I only work two days.

I'm really surprised at the doctors salary. How long does it take for someone to be a consultant or a partnered GP? How many make it? I think we are all led to believe GPs all earn £100k!

I'm a software engineer on just under £37k + about £2k bonus. I feel poor but at least my work is very family friendly. Very strictly 8-5 with no after hour and weekend work. I can also take days off for DD gp appointments and illness easily as long as it's from my annual leave quota. I guess it's not too bad for a job with good work/life balance isn't it?

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 21-Feb-13 10:10:47

Dede I was a comm prop solicitor who got made redundant in 2009 from my £90kpa job in a 'city' firm. There must have been a lot of us around! I am now on half that doing something completely different

jamaisjedors Thu 21-Feb-13 12:30:24

rasiah thanks for the details.

Here pay scales are national so as we live in a fairly cheap area of France I guess that's why we feel well-off.

Our mortgage is 1000€ a month, but we'll have paid it off in a couple of years (12yr loan).

Childcare is heavily subsidized, particularly for under-threes, at most I paid 800€ to the childminder per month, half of which I got back in benefits. Nowadays both DS are in school and it works out as 400-500€ a month, including lunches.

fromparistoberlin Thu 21-Feb-13 13:33:52

Regional Sales Manager £80K + bonus

just got my payrise yesterday thnaks for asking grin

iclaudius Fri 22-Feb-13 12:14:28

Woohoo frompatistoberlin !! smile

Trills Fri 22-Feb-13 12:19:59

Mumsnet Thread tidier.

£0, but you get biscuits sometimes.

You are not really asking if you are being unreasonable, you are asking what people earn.

EllenParsons Fri 22-Feb-13 14:30:24

I'm a student at the moment and just got a part time job which will earn me about £640 extra a month which will be a massive help.

I'm starting full time work as a trainee solicitor in the city in sept and start on £38,000.

madam777 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:24:30

Sorry to bring this back to life but I found it after reading this:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a1920658-What-is-your-job-and-how-much-do-you-earn

I'm genuinely shocked at how many high earners there are on here. I'm one of the very few female electronics engineers. I do digital design for integrated circuits and I think it's a very complicated and demanding job. I earn £45k with 9 years' experience - hours are friendly enough but I'm always reading up outside of work as you have to keep up-to-date in the tech field. Personally I feel quite bitter about the remuneration for this job considering the difficulty of it - the nurses/teachers on here must feel even worse! Wish I had done something like accountancy, banking etc. Even worse, my job creates something from nothing - I've likely worked on the processor that is in your computer right now. I would love to earn double this - some of my best friends in oil & accountancy blow me out of the water for what seem much easier jobs. I think my wage is just "normal" - I genuinely am shocked at just how high some of the salaries on here are... a real eye-opener.

Don't do engineering if you want money, especially considering how difficult this job is.

Runwayqueen England Sun 16-Feb-14 22:49:47

Airfield operations assistant duty manager. 19k ft, I'm pt though so less

happygirl87 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:52:51

Ellenparsons I just finished my TC at a City firm last Sept- so get in touch if you have any queries for someone who's been through it!

mummywithsmiles Sun 16-Feb-14 22:54:57

I personally feel your wage is high compared to more important and probably harder jobs such as neonatal nurses however if you love your job then that's important.

mummywithsmiles Sun 16-Feb-14 22:57:28

I'm unemployed ...about 7 k a year
About 21 k a year if I moved out in to my own flat.

GinghamChic Sun 16-Feb-14 23:14:33

teacher 37k..no extra resp, just a teacher wink

Topaz25 Sun 16-Feb-14 23:20:23

Customer service assistant in a photo processing centre- £7 an hour
Dog walker- £8 an hour

MacaroniSaysShetlandPony Sun 16-Feb-14 23:26:10

Pharmacist with PhD working in pharmaceutical industry (not sales or marketing), FT salary over £100k, varies year to year over and above that with bonus, plus good benefits and v family friendly. I'm amazed by the salaries on this thread, it truly is sobering as mentioned by someone up thread.

wadi1983 Sun 16-Feb-14 23:30:47

3 day a week nanny

£23k

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now