To get a bit impatient with really fussy eaters (adults)

(455 Posts)
atthewelles Mon 18-Feb-13 16:25:31

I'm not talking about people with medical conditions which preclude certain foods from their diet or people who have anxiety issues re certain types of food/ different foods touching each other on the plate etc

But adults who just turn their noses up at anything other than plain meat and potatoes and act as if vegetables, pasta, fish, anything containing spices or garlic or cooked in a sauces is on a par with serving up roasted worms are a bit irritating - difficult to cook for and impossible to please when trying to meet up in a restaurant.

AIBU to think grown ups should at least try a few different foodstuffs and be a little bit open minded about what they're prepared to eat?

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 21-Feb-13 23:52:52

Limited to save you from yourself chocolate in plain brown packing PO box 1222

Only joking.

How it can impact on others an example. A few years ago I went out with my estranged husband and a group of about 30 of us for a meal ( he was not estranged then) it was mine and one of the other girls birthdays. We traipsed around the town for nearly 2 hours whilst he had hissy fits outside every restaurant we wanted to go in because he didnt fancy anything on the menu.

When his best mate finally told him to stop being a twat and accept that he was in a large group on an event that was not about him. He sat down and spent the entire meal muttering about not being fussy normally eating anything then proceeded to pick apart the menu loudly banging on about what he couldn't possibly eat. They had steak and chips on the menu he could have picked but he just refused to pick anything because he was being an arse.

He wanted to demand we all went to McDonalds. A few hours later after he got pissed enough to forget the entire exchange he tried to drag I'd all back into the same place for steak and fucking chips.

Dryjuice25 Fri 22-Feb-13 02:09:15

I invite my ex for sunday dinners and everytime he leaves his carrots grates me as his eyesight is already failing due to lack of betacarotenegrin bothers me as he has influence over dcs. He hates all veg

He hates all foreign foods too lives on bland english foods only whereas I like to try something once but will happily avoid horse, snails, frogs and snakes

<prays that horse contamination passed us by>

piprabbit Fri 22-Feb-13 02:34:13

I'm a supertaster, which is great most of the time (not that I'm a greedy pig, oh no, not me).
Mouthwashes feel like they are burning me, so I have to avoid them.
And there are a few flavours that I am sensitive to which I also really don't like, for example mustard. Did you know that most shop bought coleslaw has mustard in? Sometimes there is so much and I find it so overpowering that I can't bear to smell or eat it but I don't make a big hoohah and ask for people to check the packaging or flap around, I just touch the tiniest amount to my tongue before tucking in and then I can choose to leave the rest.

MIL is picky about cream and oil. Whenever we go out to eat she asks me how much oil or cream each menu item has in it. How do I know? Why should I know? Then having discussed it with and decided that, yes, the Black Forest Gateaux will probably have cream in, she will repeat the conversation with the waitress and ask her opinion too. It takes sooooooo long for her to choose.

I can live with picky/fussy eaters, so long as they don't try to involve me in their choices.

PuppyMonkey Fri 22-Feb-13 06:56:07

Sock - you LET your ex control the evening there a bit though didn't you? Most other large groups would not have put up with that.You did, and then call HIM the twat.grin

AngryBeaver Fri 22-Feb-13 07:27:46

Okay, hands up, I am a bit of a food pleb.

I don't know how it happened!

I met dh when we were 18 and at Uni and he was really fussy, didn't eat SALAD and hardly any veg.

Iturned that around when we got married, but somehow, the food we ate became limited.

We annoyed people in an Indian restaurant by ordering steak blush

And have made a concerted effort to try new things.

My friend was once agog to learn that I had never tried olives or feta, at the age of 28!

Yesterday, I tried <dun dun daaaaaaa> SUSHI!! And I loved it!
Okay, not the raw fish type, but I have never liked salmon and now I like teryaki salmon..and seaweed and stuff!

I bought some for lunch today so dh could try, and he quite liked it too.

I am pathetically proud of myself! grin

I am growing up <at 34> blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now