AIBU to ask if your 10 year old can make toast?

(196 Posts)
Fantail Mon 18-Feb-13 06:40:32

I would say most 10 year olds can do this, but perhaps they can't.

seeker Mon 18-Feb-13 07:36:28

Grrr- this is one of my hobby horses! Yes of course they should be able to!!!!!!!!

shootfromthehip Mon 18-Feb-13 07:38:40

My eight nearly nine year old has been making toast for about a year. My six year old also makes toast (and a mess!) but with someone taking it out of the toaster for him. I'm still nervous about the kettle though... ok for the big one (supervised) but not a chance for the wee one!

SamuelWestsMistress Mon 18-Feb-13 07:39:09

My DS is freakishly responsible (definitely gets that from his Dad and not me!) and has been making his own breakfast (usually toast) since he was 5. DD who is 5 now, does sometimes too. My 3 year old is determined to do it with screams of "I DO IT, I DO IT!"

I've only got a 5yo so not quite at the cooking a full meal stage yet. I 'taught' my niece to make toast at 8 which her parents were slightly twitchy about. She's 10 now and I have tried to teach her to make tea. She knows how to make it of course but doesn't have the strength to lift the kettle without it shaking all over the place so it's a no go. I'm going to buy her a travel kettle!

Belini Mon 18-Feb-13 07:41:18

My 5, 7, & 14 year olds all do their own breakfasts. This would include toast, cereal or bacon rolls at the weekend. I am currently working on ds14s cooking abilities. He has no interest in 'cooking' anything other than noodles or beans on toast.

coldethyl Mon 18-Feb-13 07:41:45

Yes, my last 10 yr old (now 11) could make toast and so can my almost-10 and my 8 yr old. In fact, the 2 year old would if he could reach (he drags a chair up but still can't reach far enough to get the bread into the toaster). In fact, DS1 does a creditable roast chicken pieces with vegetables and DS2 can do sausages with chips and veg (with a bit of supervision). DD and DS2 both bake (biscuits, brownies, mince pies at Christmas - I feel quite redundant) and they can make themselves hot chocolate. None of them do kettled beverages yet, partly because they don't drink them, mostly because none are tall enough to lift the kettle once it's boiled. It will come.
Oh, and DS2 makes excellent pancakes. I am training them not to starve when they leave home.

Budgiegirlbob Mon 18-Feb-13 07:42:07

My 11 year old DS can make a fully cooked meal, such as savoury stuffed pancakes with minimal supervision, and has been making tea and toast for some time.

My 10 year old DS told me at the weekend that he can't spread jam on his toast, I pointed out that as 12 year olds were winning junior master chef, I was sure he could manage a bit of jam! He does make cups of tea and peel potatoes though.

I'm an assistant cub leader, and last week the cubs did their chef badge, which involved making vegetable soup and pancakes ( supervised but not helped), and also setting and clearing the table, serving each other, and washing up. They also have to make cakes or cookies on their own.

It's amazing what children can do if they are given a chance.

Blimey, kids are sheltered these days. At 10 my sister and I could bake cakes, make pastry and cook a full evening meal including a roast for a family of four. We were taught to cook as soon as we were old enough to stand up.

Toast? I should bloody well hope so.

fieldfare Mon 18-Feb-13 07:45:16

Dd is 10 and has been making her own breakfast for about the last 2 years - toast/crumpets in the toaster, or porridge in the microwave. We've got a one cup hot water dispenser so she uses that to make a cup of tea - hot enough for tea but not boiling to scald.
She can make fantastic cakes, cheese sauce from scratch to go on veggies and basic pasta dishes as well as 'it' on toast.

She's also pretty efficient with the Hoover, a duster and the washing machine. HOW can people let their children get to this age with so little idea of how to fend for themselves?

SkinnybitchWannabe Mon 18-Feb-13 07:46:07

My 7 year old ds uses the toaster and microwave (with supervision)
10 year old ds does most types of cooking&making himself a cuppa.
13 year old ds makes Supernoodles and microwave ready meals!!

dappleton Mon 18-Feb-13 07:46:44

I think by 10 any sensible child should be able to make a meal i.e. beans on toast, scrambled eggs, instant noodles...that sort of thing.

coldethyl Mon 18-Feb-13 07:48:58

I think it partly depends on how many children there are in the family and their ages. I know I have been guilty in the past of continuing to do things for the older ones, because the baby still needs help and it is more efficient to make toast for 4 than toast for 1 and then let them get on with it. If my four fall down when they leave home, it will be because they are used to being a team (one to chop, one to cook, one to make gravy; or one emptying the laundry basket and bringing it down, one putting the machine on, one emptying and hanging up). I am trying to rotate the jobs, but sometimes it's easier to let them get on with it as it stands.

merlottits Mon 18-Feb-13 07:49:51

My goodness, of course. I would say an 8 year old should find this no bother.

The differences in parenting are immense. I am close to two other mothers who have sons identical ages to mine (now 15). I'm big on independence and teaching and then expecting life skills from children.

My DS at 10 got himself up independently each morning for school, washed, dressed, made his own breakfast, packed his own school bag and left in time for the school bus. I was not involved.

One of the other mothers still got her DS up, laid out his clothes, put cereal in a bowl and then poured milk on when he came downstairs, packed/checked his school bag and took him to school. The other mother was somewhere in between.

Different types of parenting. I'm sure the boys themselves were pretty similar in 'natural ability'.

I would allow kettles from 10. After all how would they make themselves a Pot Noodle for tea? grin

Geeklover Mon 18-Feb-13 07:50:42

My 9 and nearly 7 year old can both make and spread toast. They often fight over who gets to make sandwiches and things for lunch for each other at the weekends.
9 year old makes a lovely cup of tea as well. smile
My 9 year old taught 12 year old dss how to make toast as he's not allowed at home neither is he allowed to make tea.
My dc also help themselves to diluting juice if they are thirsty and are happy to muck in with dishes and vacuuming as well.
Exdh is still very incapable of looking after a house I'm so not letting my dc go the same way.

DesiderataHollow Mon 18-Feb-13 07:50:54

Is this some kind of trick question?
Why wouldn't a 10 yo be able to make toast?

Obviously if they're doing it before you're up and about there's a liklihood it will end up with nutella on rather than whole-food peanut butter. But it's a small price to pay for a half-hour lie-in. Not to mention the cup of coffee that should make an appearence for you soon after. smile

Tee2072 Mon 18-Feb-13 07:51:53

My 3.9 year old can make toast with a bit of supervision!

By 10 I'll be expecting that and bringing mummy a cuppa!!

teacherandguideleader Mon 18-Feb-13 07:53:01

At the end of Guide camp last summer, one of the 10 year olds commented that she had had such a good time as she had never realised how much she could do for herself - collecting wood for a fire (obviously as part of a group), building a fire then preparing and cooking a meal on it.

What strikes me now is how many of them have no clue about preparing food (usually just the ones on their first camp as others remember what they have done before). One year we wrote the recipes for one meal and had missed out the bit about chopping the courgette. Cue one group placing a whole courgette into their saucepan.

We made pancakes last week - all made their own (with supervision).

Janey46 Mon 18-Feb-13 07:53:16

My 8 and 9yr olds can both make tea and bake a cake from scratch (I get it out of the oven as it is an eye level one). They can both make toast.I haven't really taught them to cook yet though <note to self: start this week>

Ilovexmastime Mon 18-Feb-13 07:54:45

My 6 and 8 year old DSs can.

Pagwatch Mon 18-Feb-13 07:54:51

DD has been making me quite decent cups of coffee for a ouble of years now.

Yes, of course my 10 year old can make toast.

INeedALieIn Mon 18-Feb-13 07:58:26

Anybody recommend an age when children could be left unsupervised, cooking on a gas hob?

seeker Mon 18-Feb-13 08:00:54

Depends on the child and when they started. It's not age, it's confidence and practice. Oh, and height. They need to be able to safely do things without having to stand on something to reach.

McPie Mon 18-Feb-13 08:01:03

D1s is 11 and has been making toast for years and dts 6 can too, they just wait until its cooler before removing. Ds1 has just started on tea but that was by his own choice as he wasnt happy pouring the water into a cup, into a pan he was ok with but a cup scared him. He can make many things but needs to learn to tidy up after him! When dh and I moved in together he couldnt make much more than toast at 25 so I plan on making sure my kids can feed themself and others when needed.

HSMMaCM Mon 18-Feb-13 08:02:09

DD could and could make several full meals by the time she left primary. Her best attribute is cups of tea in bed grin. Brownies and Guides got them to do nearly everything when they were away on camp (waving sharp knives at veg, etc).

Agree with having the sense not to stick a knife in the toaster though ...

5madthings Mon 18-Feb-13 08:03:09

God yes of course a 10 yr old should be able to make toast.
My 4 yr old can spread his own toast!

Children are far more capable than they are given credit for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now