ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

all germanic car drivers

(114 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Sun 17-Feb-13 11:07:46

I know this is a thread about a thread, but it got me thinking its not just audi drivers tha are knobs.

bmw, mercedes, some vw, audi,

all high end german cars driven by people who have done well in life and have a higher opinion of themselves , and for somevreason drive like nut jobs.

aibu. for thinking this.

this doesn't seem to happen with french, italian, Asian car drivers.

JenaiMorris Sun 17-Feb-13 23:11:06

I covet Citroën DSs, the proper old ones and the new ones. And I wouldn't say no to a Bugatti. Not all French cars are rubbish!

There are plenty more lovely French cars, but they're mostly very old.

MumVsKids Sun 17-Feb-13 23:11:47

Where do vw tourans fit in to this??

I'm not a knob driver op, and I find my semi educated idiocy no match whatsoever for your natural stupidity in thinking such a thing.

It all smacks a bit of envy to me.

YABVVVVVU.

JenaiMorris Sun 17-Feb-13 23:13:02

<ahem> zond are you joking or is yours an old Jag?

JenaiMorris Sun 17-Feb-13 23:16:02

I would quite like a Jag, I must say.

JenaiMorris Sun 17-Feb-13 23:16:37

I would quite like a Jag, I must say.

JenaiMorris Sun 17-Feb-13 23:31:25

I am also talking out of my arse as Bugatti are now VAG owned but Jaguar aren't.

I maintain that if someone is driving too close and being a dick, they are more likely to be in an Audi or a BMW than any other make. That doesn't make all drivers of German cars twats however.

EnjoyResponsibly Sun 17-Feb-13 23:33:50

Comments like yours make me think "Christ, that person could do with a damn good shag".

Yours,
J Clarkson
ER

JenaiMorris Sun 17-Feb-13 23:38:35

Mine, or the OP's?

I probably could do with a good shag tbh, although probably not with Jeremy Clarkson.

EnjoyResponsibly Sun 17-Feb-13 23:43:12

jenai 'twas to OP, but if the petrol cap fits wink

nooka Sun 17-Feb-13 23:47:24

My family have mostly had VWs because they are reliable and well made. My parents currently have an Audi. It's a nice car. Before that they had a Renault which was also a nice car but not at all reliable. So they sold it. I don't think that their driving changed significantly, the two cars were the same type after all, just different makes.

We've had a few Peugeot rentals recently and I suspect that dh's driving was probably worse in them as he hated driving them so much!

ComposHat Mon 18-Feb-13 00:30:56

I drive a Jag, by default I must be an utter cunty aresewipe

Or Mike Baldwin.

I would quite like a jag, just so I could drive around pretending to be Mike Baldwin, saying things like 'you know your problem is Barlow ... you don't fink big' or 'Deirdre loves me Barlow'

What larks.

BurnThisDiscoDown Mon 18-Feb-13 00:52:53

I seem to remember op on another thread telling everyone they were just jealous because they didn't like scantily clad models strutting around car shows. By that token, as op dislikes my car I therefore deem her jealous too.

Oh, and have a biscuit

FellatioNels0n Mon 18-Feb-13 05:07:02

We used to have a Jag. It was by far the nicest, best car we have ever had, and we've has some nice/good cars. OK, so we didn't look quite the hipsters in it, i'll admit, but it was fab.

WhoWhatWhereWhen Mon 18-Feb-13 05:44:53

The majority of business users drive mid level German brand vehicles Audi seem to be doing very well in this sector atm, they are relatively cheap to lease, if someone is up your arse on the motorway you can almost guarantee it's some stressed exec.

FellatioNels0n Mon 18-Feb-13 05:52:55

I think it must be because company cars and pool cars get replaced after 2 or 3 years, and German cars have good residual values for resale. Because they are well built, and reliable on the whole, with simple, classic styling that stands the test of time.

Fakebook Mon 18-Feb-13 05:59:03

Yes, I drive my 1.2 vw polo in a really knobbish way because I'm so rich and have a high opinion of myself.

No. You're talking shit and you know it. Most people buy German cars because they're built to last, and are not shells like shitty French cars.

JenaiMorris Mon 18-Feb-13 06:50:05

But the OP isn't talking about Polos!

It's funny how offended and defensive people are about this.

Fellatio, Jags have character. Unlike most mid range Autobahn mile munchers. Even if they do bring to mind Pringle jumpers and the golf club [grin ]

MrsBucketxx Mon 18-Feb-13 07:37:25

seeid love a jag,

bentley, or even a mayback.

none ir german and no I'm not jealous, just an observation.

MrsBucketxx Mon 18-Feb-13 07:38:07

I could buy a bmw or audi if I wanted to but I dont.

wildfig Mon 18-Feb-13 08:25:14

You do know that Maybach is an old German car manufacturer, don't you? Or are you being ironic?

BrevilleTron Mon 18-Feb-13 09:05:08

Compos
Yep spot on with the head gasket.
Victor is very special as he was my Grandads car before I had him, and he was also my wedding car!

I have a lot of love for Rover as I grew up next to the factory
however I'm fully aware that most cars were bags of shite

I build Range Rovers but could never afford one.

Was at a petrol station recently and spotted a brand new RR so went over to have a look at the VIN number to see if it was one I'd personally water tested.

Chap comes back and says "ooh do you like it? It cost x!"
Me "yes I was just checki.."
Chap "yes they are very expensive and most people haven't even SEEN one!"
Me "Yes well I work for Land Rover and by looking at your VIN number I tested your car for water leaks"
Chap blush

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fluffyraggies Mon 18-Feb-13 09:11:46

I drive a BMW

I adore my BMW

I am not a knob

So you are wrong

grin

Oh, I'm with her. I could buy a BMW if I wanted to. It's just it'd have to be about 15 years old and rusting, and I would have to justify it to DH. On balance, I shall continue to drive what I'm pushing driving.

ComposHat Mon 18-Feb-13 10:11:52

Breville That must have left him fairly gobsmacked.

When I first passed my test I drove my dad's Rover Metro, by christ was it horrible. The headgasket wouldn't do the decent thing so it could be put out of its misery, it just rotted slowly to death. I did get very good at solo push starts, run alongside and then hop in at the last minute much like a toboggan.

It lasted six years before it was fit for the scrapyard. By that stage, there were a few flecks of paintwork left on the rust. My 17 year old Corolla is still completely rust free.

That said the Rover 75 looks better than the similar looking Jaguar of the same era (X-type?) I'm a bit of a sucker for a twin headlamp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now