Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Poxy Cocktail Sausages

(97 Posts)
Popsie3 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:38:56

Was at a Childs Birthday party with my ds, We don't eat sausages purely because they are full of utter crap, At the buffet my ds doesn't even go to pick up a sausage as we never eat them so fills plate up with other things but some other Mums at the party question me so I explained we don't eat them, Unbeknown to me whilst my ds is in the other room another mum says to him 'Quick don't tell your mum but I've got a sausage for you', and hands one to him. AIBU to watch to question her on this when I see her next and/or punch her in the face

RedHotRudieParts Sat 16-Feb-13 20:52:17

You need to remove the pineapple lodged in your arse op.

Pandemoniaa Sat 16-Feb-13 20:52:51

It was U to try and trick your child into a forbidden sausage but I can't help thinking that unless your child is vegetarian or has allergies, there are worse things in life than the ingestion of the occasional bit of party food. Seems like an awful lot of angst over a sausage, tbh.

I've not forgotten ds1's 5th birthday. Our next door neighbour had to stay with her child (who she moved further down the table away from the very nice, locally sourced, not at all fucking crap sausages made from pigs whose names we knew) lest the poor girl be tainted by my irresponsible catering.

The loudly shrieked words "No, No, No Persephone! Don't touch any of those horrid iced biscuits because we've got lovely, lovely tofu and brussel tops for tea" are still, 27 years later, remembered fondly and trotted out as a classic example of helicopter parenting.

Popsie3 Sat 16-Feb-13 20:53:03

We don't eat sausages, it's not quirky, unecessary and there was no fuss made! Just another mum taking upon herself to try and make my ds eat one which annoyed me!

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Feb-13 20:53:13

Would that be on a cocktail stick with a lump of cheese Red?

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Feb-13 20:54:09

But he didn't eat it Popsie. When you start leaving your DS at parties you won't know what he's eaten.

HappySunflower Sat 16-Feb-13 20:57:22

Is there anything else you don't let him eat?

jinsymaw Sat 16-Feb-13 20:57:57

I think what it comes down to is that the cheeky mare (like it GloryWhole? sorry me new mate!) did not have the authority, power to give a child who has no resonsibility to let another person give food in such a devious way, against the rules of the parent!

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Feb-13 20:59:58

No sausage authority. wink

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:00:10

OMG he may die from sausage poisoning, I would get an ace lawyer on board to get as much compo as possible. Alternatively you could just be normal and move on.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:00:41

Control freak or what?

Popsie3 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:01:08

Thank you jinsymaw that is what is annoying me!

myfirstkitchen Sat 16-Feb-13 21:02:37

Forget it. In about 15 years he will be doing worse at parties. Might even be going up his nose.

RedHotRudieParts Sat 16-Feb-13 21:02:41

Yes sparkling, for extra pricklness and that expression the cat adopts when a thermometer is shoved up its arse.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:03:37

How very dare she jinsy, just an ordinary mum at a party, she should seek written permission to even approach PFB. Sue her arse.

HyvaPaiva Sat 16-Feb-13 21:03:40

The secrecy and the 'don't tell your mum' would make me so angry, I don't care about the party food though. Cocktail sausages aren't 'poxy' or the source of your upset. So YANBU about her behaviour, but YABU to make it sausage-based rage.

Also, to the poster who pays £10 for two sausages: grin

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:04:37

myfirstkitchen is right.

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Feb-13 21:05:38

shock at sausages going up the nose.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:06:46

FFS it's life its not as if its illicit bum sex with a minor, its a pigging sausage roll. I bloody despair of the the UK, we are sad.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:07:06

That would hurt!

Popsie3 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:09:48

Wow PessaryPam you are gross! Not funny in the slightest!

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Feb-13 21:11:35

So Popsie how are you going to get over this and put it behind you?

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:11:45

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

PessaryPam Sat 16-Feb-13 21:12:34

Counseling for at least 10 years may do it.

GazpachoSoup Sat 16-Feb-13 21:13:35

Not read the other poss, so apologies - although going by the OP it's opinions you're after.
Can I just say, how OLD is your ds?
Is he old enough to decide he actually wants to try one of those sausages himself?!
Because, by the sounds of your original post, you say YOU say you don't eat those crappy, full of garbage things. Not your ds.
If he wants to try it, then surely that's up to him? He's his own person when it comes to food. Should you be foisting your tastes and ideals onto him?
If he turned round and said "bleeee, yuck!" then you'd have a point. He doesn't want the crap.
If it's a case of you saying that we "don't eat that" then that's different. YABU.
Let your child make up their mind what they do and don't want to eat.

NynaevesSister Sat 16-Feb-13 21:14:17

Oh come on! Of course OP is right to be peeved at another mother acting that way. It was out of order.

I mean who on earth does that with another persons child, even if you don't agree with it. For crying out loud she just said no to a sausage not all the party type food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now